Old 04-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
letah75
Working the Gusset

Haven't seen a post about this....sad news
I haven't seen a post mentioning this, and it's sad. We had a member named Joel. I just saw on ravelry Afghans for Joels girls is a group that started for Joel's daughters. Apparently he was killed in a car accident on March 17th.

Here is the description of the group (for those who aren't in Ravelry):

One of our Ravelry Friends, Joel, was killed in a tragic car accident on Monday, March 17th. He leaves behind his wife Rebekah and 2 daughters Brooke (6) & Diane (10, as of 03/23). Joel founded the SMACK Group (Straight Men Also Crochet & Knit) on Raverly and was loved by many Rav users.
As a memorial and a show of support we are gathering together to make 2 afghans, one for each of his daughters and a comfort shawl for Rebekah. Please see the threads below for information on participating.
Please also pray for the other three young girls who were involved in the accident: Janelle (14), Kimberlee (9), and Kayla (14). The driver of the other vehicle, Lori, was also killed so prayers for her family are just as important.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson

Last edited by Silver : 04-11-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Fixed link
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
iza
Turning the Heel

I am very, very sad to hear that. Thank you for letting us know. My heart is with all the families involved.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
letah75
Working the Gusset

Here is information from Joel's wife who is also a knitter:

Joel was in an awful car accident on Monday March 17th while driving the girls to school. D got herself out of the van which had been hit by an oncoming car and then rolled several times. She told Joel she was going for help, when she then found the nearest person and demanded they call 911 and me at my home which she read off to them. They asked if she was ok and she said yes, but she’s going back to get her sister. She went and help B out of the van. Joel was still conscious and concerned for them to get out and that they were ok. Joel was trapped in the van, and the fire and medic departments extricated him to be rushed to the hospital where I work. I arrived on scene as they were loading (the girls) in an ambulance unsure if Joel was alive at all. I went with the girls to seek treatment. Only by nothing short of a miracle (the girls) are alive. Joel arrived at the ER a while later and I quickly rushed to see what his status was. He was severely injured, but talking and asking about the girls and me. I went right in and talked to him. I knew they were going to have to put him out to evaluate his situation. We learned that his pelvis was crushed, shoulder dislocated, arms/wrist breaks, pneumo thorax and more…. He was bleeding internally. I talked with our general surgeon and he decided to operate. I spoke with Joel again and we had a few minutes of words. He was taken back to surgery to discover his spleen was torn in multiple locations and they removed it. They stopped as much of the bleeding as they could and prepped him to be air lifted to Billings MT for further treatment. As he arrived in Billings he went into cardiac arrest. They were able to revive him, but he had gone without oxygen for a concerning amount of time. He was not stable enough to endure further surgery at that time. They did everything they could, but he went into cardiac arrest again at about 11 pm and was not able to be resuscitated. I was right there all the while held out hope, but sadly God was ready to call him home.
This has been a very trying week and our lives will be much different now. I’m so thankful that God held our two precious girls…one in each hand. Unfortunately he couldn’t let go of Joel. I knew right off from the state trooper that the other car was in Joel’s lane by a good five feet, but didn’t know why. Today we found out that the 44 year old woman driving the other car was text messaging while driving. She died on impact, her two children and one of their friends were in that car. Her kids were hospitalized, the friend was treated and released. I’m thankful that I had a few minutes to talk with Joel and consider that to be nothing less than a miracle, because after seeing the van at the tow lot today I am amazed he wasn’t also killed instantly.
We had Joel cremated and we are having a memorial service on Tuesday March 25 at 10 am at the First United Methodist Church in Powell WY.
The girls are doing remarkably well. B didn’t walk for a couple days because she was pretty bruised and sore. She is moving around much better now. D has some visible bruises and her breastbone is sore at times.
I want to tell everyone how thankful I am for the outpouring of support and prayers. We have amazing family, friends and live in a community second to none in terms of outreach. I apologize for not being able to talk to all of you personally yet, but I’m quite overwhelmed with grief, caring for the girls, investigation into the wreck, arrangements for Joel and the memorial.
I also know that this news hasn’t been able to get to everyone that I would like to tell and talk to, so should you like to pass it on that is fine.
I ask for continued prayers for the girls, myself, the others injured in the accident and their families.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased — thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
Old 04-10-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
scout52
Working the Gusset

Oh my heart is breaking for the family. Much love and hugs to them all. I will keep them in my thoughts.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
mks22300
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to mks22300
How awful. I will be keeping them in my thoughts.

I'm mks22300 at ravelry
mks22300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
knitgal
Working the Gusset

What a sad, sad story. My thoughts are with this family. It really goes to show that people have got to pay attention and not text message while driving. What does it take to get this through to people?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #7
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
to whom do I send gifts?
or is there a scholarship fund set up for the Girls yet?
it has been way long enough for these thoughts to be out there, what can I do to help?

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #8
letah75
Working the Gusset

Here is the information regarding donations for the family:

Here is the address for the memorial fund for Joel’s family:
First National Bank & Trust
PO Box 907
Powell, WY 82435
On the checks or on a letter inside of the envelope please specify that the check is to be deposited into the savings/trust in the name of Rebekah Sellers.

This was also on the ravelry group:

Joel’s Obituary is available in the Powell Tribune(http://www.powelltribune.com/mar08.htm)
Additional information can be found at: http://www.michelottisawyers.com/
- Click on Obituaries on the bottom left
- Scroll down to the table, in alphabetical order
- Select Pennington, Joel
Here you’ll find the obituary and you can post a message of love & support for the family.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

This has been mentioned in Joel's Blog, but thank you for bringing more light to this sad news. So sad.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #10
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

Text messaging while driving in my opinion is just as bad as drinking and driving, my husband and I had to call the police one day while we were driving down the road because the person in front of us was swerving all over the road almost into oncoming traffic and I thought they must be drunk or in medical trouble but when we passed him at a light I saw that he was texting while driving!I would rather see someone talking on the phone and still watching the road then completely taking their eyes off the road to send a text message,my prayers are with the family.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote