I had some time to kill yesterday, so I went into B&N... and saw the new Big Girl Knits book
on the shelf! Just published at the beginning of the month.
There's lots of really great patterns in here, but I have some mixed feelings about the book in general:
1. There's a great big section in the beginning about measuring and fit and ease, which is all kind of a repeat from the first book
2. Two patterns I noticed immediately, Folly and Boo Too, are already available FOR FREE on knitty.com... however, the Boo Sweater does have one size larger in the book. (I personally don't find these attractive, either, but that's my opinion). I didn't search for all the patterns on knitty, but I *knew* I'd see those two before, so I doubled checked.
3. There's 3 sock patterns, a scarf pattern, and 2 bags. The bags are "bigger" for big girls, and the socks take into consideration the chunky ankles, and the scarf is reeeeeeeeeeally long.... but I'd rather have seen 2 other really good tops (or some bottoms! knitted skirts are all over the magazines now!) instead of these.
4. Good talk about the use of multi-colored yarns, fair isle and intarisa.
5. LARGE section on adding panels to the sides or sleeves of a garment to make one that isn't in your size (because it doesn't come that way, or you didn't check your gauge) fit. This was especially helpful, IMO... I've avoided knitting some really cute thngs with color work or cable patterns because I couldn't figure out how to make them bigger without disrupting the stitches.
As far as the rest of the patterns go, they're all pretty and not too diffucult (looking). You can take a look at the pictures on this knitpicks
page. I was super glad to see an aran hoodie that reminded me of rogue and eris from the girl from auntie
I'd have gotten the book anyway because I'm a book whore
but I would suggest checking it out of the library first.