Old 04-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I just got on line and view the blankets, they are beautiful. Even my husband who has no idea if it is knitted or crochet said that he didn't think that was to much money. I agree that people don't think of what goes into the blankets, to bad for just they words she puts onto them are worth that price. Maybe she should just do plain blankets to sell.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #12
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

I've only been knitting for 6 wks so I wouldn't know where to start with prices but I think it's definetly worth it. With that type of detailing. Spelling words has got to be sooo time consuming.

It's something that a person can keep forever. I still have my baby blanket that was knitted for me and i'm 32, my brother also had one.

It's definetly worth the price.....Heather
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heatherg23 For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
My mom made Julianne a sweater, cap, and blanket (and she always uses acrylic) and they are gorgeous. They are put back to be heirlooms.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
cmk
1st Leg of the Journey

Your friend's baby blanket is beautiful! I'm wondering, are people complaining about the price because she raised her price? What are the customers saying they are willing to pay?

Personally, I think $50-$55 for a handcrafted baby blanket is reasonable.

Carolyn
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmk For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 05:56 AM   #15
Debbie
Working the Gusset

People would probably think $48.00 is reasonable .... it is amazing what a dollar or two below the "0" makes..... $98.00 instead of $100.00 .... $199 instead of $200.

Personally .... $55.00 is a BARGAIN for such a beautiful blanket!!!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debbie For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 AM   #16
Silver
Instepping Out

If people are complaining about the $55 price tag, there's your answer. It's too high.

We as fellow crafters can not give a good unbiased opinion on the price because we ALL know how much work goes into making a blanket like that and are quick to quote a higher dollar amount. But we're also not the ones who would actually buy it, as we can make them ourselves.

The non-crafting customers are the ones who set the price because they will (and have) unabashedly tell you if the price is too high, too low, or just right. If they're complaining about $55, they're not going to pay it, so what's the point in pricing it that high? You have to find a balance between time spent and what someone will pay.

I'd drop the price to $40. See how it sells. If she gets a lot of enthusiastic sales quickly, raise it to $45. If she still doesn't see the sales, drop it to $35. The goal is to find a price where people will pay it, but not so low that the orders come so fast that she can't fill them.

Two blankets sold for $40 each is A LOT better than none at $55.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 AM   #17
Mike
Working the Gusset

Hand knitting and crochet are either too much and not worth it or they're not worth selling for the person doing the work.
It takes me 20 minutes to crochet a 300 sc/hdc row, a skein will take 3 days to use if I work hard at it (at least 8 hour days) and go about 4". An afghan will take 16-25 skeins. I figured one up one time and it was near 100,000 stitches. People won't pay for that amount of time, you're lucky to get them to pay for that amount of yarn.

Take vaknitter's "Using the Caron or Red Heart the yarn is only about $6/baby blanket.", I haven't figured up the square inches but I bet that would be lucky to pay for the materials.

It's even worse when you add the cost of yarn, which is why I refuse to pay the cost some companies want for their yarn. It would be more affordable to make an item out of Red Heart, throw it away and then buy the expensive sweater.

She's certainly not getting rich at $55. She'd do a lot better if she was making quilts, they're a hot item. People are willing to pay for quilts and there's not as much time involved.

She would also do better teaching crochet. The community college charges $65 to teach single crochet stitch over 3 classes and another $65 to teach double crochet with the prerequisite that you've had the first class.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:02 PM   #18
scout52
Working the Gusset

Wow that is a gorgeous blanket. Though I agree with Silver. Have her drop the price down to $40 and see what the reaction is. People really don't understand the work that goes into knitting at all. Which is why some people in my own family are not worthy of a knitted gift.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #19
tokmom
Turning the Heel

I think that is the problem with hand made items. People want to pay for the supplies but NOT the time.
I think heading to a baby boutique or even trying to sell on ebay might be an answer.
She could make up cards and have them in an OB's office with a picture of her blankets. I know a photographer that was starting a business and did that. She made quite a few contacts that way.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tokmom For This Useful Post:
*KnitPixie* (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
*KnitPixie*
Turning the Heel

Thanks everyone
I just wanted to thank you all and say we both value ALL of your responses and she has decided to try and lower her price to $50 and see how it sells at that price. I am going to try and sell this blanket in my etsy shop for her.Thank you everyone for saying the blanket is beautiful you really lifted her spirits out of the slump she was in ever since someone said they wouldn't pay higher than $25 bucks for it(she had tears in her eyes when reading the nice responses) I think we might have a good shot there as I have seen people sell handmade baby hats at $25 a piece and made with acrylic yarn..and they werent even time consuming patterns,just straight stockinette. Thank You Everyone!

We could learn a lot from crayons:some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names,
and all are different colors....
but they all exist very nicely in the same box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*KnitPixie* is offline   Reply With Quote