Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Gina V
1st Leg of the Journey

Pulling my hair out tryin to cast on!!!

Honestly! I am just not getting it! ! I have been knitting for about 8 weeks and learned how to cast on using thumb and needle. I am checking out the videos trying to do the long tail (double) cast on because I'm not too crazy about my cast on row (looks uneven). No matter what I do the stitch just slips off the needle when I go to tighten it! I tried it once using a slip knot first and that seems to work but I just want to be able to figure out how to do it like it is shown on the video here at KH. Any suggestions?

Let's be Teddy Bears in our next lifetime,
Nobody cares if they're fat, and the older they get, the more they're worth!

Gina V is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Why not try doing the knit CO or cable CO as options, get those down, and then attempt the LT. The knit and/or cable COs would give you choices give you a firmer, more stable edge (altho they aren't elastic).

Just a sugg.

cam
Gina V (04-14-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

Oh, I've been there. Long tail cast-ons are frustrating until you have that beautiful moment where it makes sense.

What I would do is put the needles down and watch the video. Break it down into individual steps, watch them a few times and then move on to the next part.

I'll try to explain it in the way I understand it:

1. Pull out the length of yarn you need (I normally do one foot of yarn for every twenty stitches I need to cast on). Let the tail end (the end you just pulled) dangle over your thumb. Let the end attached to the skein hang over your index finger.

2. Snatch the two ends that are dangling with the rest of your fingers. Spread your thumb and index finger a bit to make it taut.

3. Place the tip of your needle under the stretched yarn in between your thumb and index finger. Place your right index finger over the yarn and pull down.

4. Pull down enough so that it appears you have a loop on your thumb (and an open loop on your index finger).

5. See that thumb loop? Slide your needle up along your thumb, heading towards your index finger.

6. Here's the part that confused the crap out of me. You see that piece of yarn right in front of your index finger? You want to slip your needle so that piece of yarn is going over the needle.

7. To this part, I'm sure you got it. Now what to do you do with that yarn you just put under the needle? Look at your thumb. You should still have a loop there. Bring your needle through that loop, and then duck your thumb out of that loop.

8. Pull gently to tighten it around the needle. There! Long tail cast-on!

I had to sit for a little while and keep trying this until it clicked with me. I also kept playing the video, listening to Amy talk me through it while I was attempting it. It will make sense and then you won't want to cast on any other way (at least, I haven't. )

Hope this helps!

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viridian For This Useful Post:
Gina V (04-14-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Jints
Turning the Heel

what Viridan describes sounds like the long tail cast on as I learnt it which is the alternative method shown here.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/fla...ayer/play/36/1
The result is the same as 'regular' method but its a much easier action (to me anyway.)
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jints For This Useful Post:
Gina V (04-14-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Gina V
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Jints View Post
what Viridan describes sounds like the long tail cast on as I learnt it which is the alternative method shown here.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/fla...ayer/play/36/1
The result is the same as 'regular' method but its a much easier action (to me anyway.)
That's exactly how I was taught to do it in the class I took!! I just seem to have a messy edge when I do it. Maybe because I pull some stitches tighter than others? I tried the lon-tail again but began with a slipknot and it worked fine. Looked good too! Thanks for the reply ... much appreciated! I may just keep practicing the thumb method!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Gina V
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
Oh, I've been there. Long tail cast-ons are frustrating until you have that beautiful moment where it makes sense.

What I would do is put the needles down and watch the video. Break it down into individual steps, watch them a few times and then move on to the next part.

Thank you so much for typing out all those instructions! I will give it a shot again with the video as well as with your instructions beside me! I need my hair so I hope I understand it soon

Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
of troy
Turning the Heel

yes, watch the video--a whole bunch of them.

learning anything is best done by multiple methods, read, listen, watch, practice..
try reading directions, and watching and listening.. and then try doing.. (and then repeat!)

The first step is a simple loop cast on.

learn that (its a crappy cast on, but it has it uses)

then learn how hold yarn and do the movement.

and remember it does take time and practice.

you've forgotten that you spend a whole week in school (in K or 1st grade) writing the letter A (and then an other week writing the letter B (and so on))

Of course your attempts aren't perfect (or even good) it take practice..

You'll get it.. with practice.

go to YouTubes, and search for Long tail cast ons.. (some 50 video links appear.) work your way through them (mine is one) and eventually you'll hit an video that 'clicks for you" book mark that video, and go back watch, listen, read, practice! in a week you'll be a champ!
Gina V (04-14-2008)
Old 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
Gina V
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by of troy View Post
yes, watch the video--a whole bunch of them.

learning anything is best done by multiple methods, read, listen, watch, practice..
You guys are great! Thanks for the encouragement! I will practice it for sure! I found your video too and I think with that and others as well as Viridian's instructions I will be a pro soon!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Viridian
1st Leg of the Journey

Aw, yay, I helped someone! I really, really hope it works out for you. If not, I'll try to explain it in another way.

Blog - http://www.viridianflare.net

My usual state of being:
Viridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #10
Gina V
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
Why not try doing the knit CO or cable CO as options, get those down, and then attempt the LT. The knit and/or cable COs would give you choices give you a firmer, more stable edge (altho they aren't elastic).

Just a sugg.

cam
Sooo much to learn LOL!!! Thanks Cam, I'll try those too!