Old 04-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

It even hurts to type....
I have pustular psoriasis. The type I have is limited to the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet with a small amount of plaque psoriasis developing elsewhere. I've had it for a long time but didn't know what it was until about 10 years ago when it began flaring up bad enough to cripple me. I was on Raptiva (not really recommended for the pp variety of psoriasis) but I had a systemic outbreak of plaque psoriasis while on it. So, the doctor has put me back on Soriatane.

However, now I am having other problems associated with pp. I have pain so bad in my chest, arms and back that I feel like throwing up. Even with NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs), I can't sleep at night because when even think of rolling over, I end up crying in agony. Taking naproxin helps but the naproxin makes the psoriasis worse. Catch 22. My dermatologist is now recommending that I see a rheumatologist and he also wants to put me on Humira to try and control the progression of what he says is psoriatic arthritis. Having done the research and having experienced many of the other symptoms that I have found while researching, I've actually had PSa for awhile now and it has finally gotten bad enough that I'm desperate to try almost anything.

It even hurts to type...

But even though it hurts, I still knit, I still crochet and I still got to various meet-ups cuz I wouldn't have it any other way!

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
At least you know what's important! SO sorry for all your troubles but SOOOO glad you can do some things you enjoy.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

Boy, I feel for you, but even my contact dermatitis/eczema on my hands is not keeping me from knitting. my hands break out something fierce mostly on the "heel" of my thumbs and on one or two fingers. Several years ago, though, when I was a floral designer, i got little water blisters on all my fingers, backs and on the finger tips. it made it unbearable to do my job
I hope it gets better
Old 04-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I'm sorry to hear about all the pain you are in... you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that you keep on knitting, I think having something like that helps.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
Silver
Instepping Out

I hope you find relief soon! Don't give up. And keep knitting.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I agree that a rheumatologist would be a great place to go. I have a friend who is on Humira for RA and she seems to do well with it. There is a whole world of high power anti-inflammatories that the rheumatologist will know about. Remicade was once offered to me - that is an IV infussion and then there was one btwn Remicade and Humira, I think it started with an E.
I've heard also that sometimes different foods can trigger psoariasis....believe it or not one of the ladies I used to work with couldn't eat corn !!!
Best of Luck
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #7
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I'm so sorry about your pain. I hope you find some relief soon.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
cmk
1st Leg of the Journey

I hope you are able to get some relief from your pain soon. Good luck with the rheumatologist.

Carolyn
cmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #9
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I'm so sorry for all the pain you are in. Does it help to know that there are others who share your problems to one degree or another?

My once oh-so-comfortable bed is now useless to me, I get so painful while laying down. It's not psoriasis, but I have a severe pustular rheumatic rash that pops up when I have a flare up of rheumatoid arthritis. Not pretty! Fortunatley, it's only on my ankle and foot, but do know what you mean by the pain being severe. My rheumatologist put me on injectable Enbrel which helps with the arthritis and Clobetasol which will take away the rash. I'm always amazed at how many suffer from these sorts of ailments. On the other hand, we never expected to be this sick, at least not until well into 'old' age. BTW,I'm thankful that it's 2008 and not thirty years ago when my Dad was going through this; the meds are much better!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 AM   #10
remclave
1st Leg of the Journey

Thank you all. Yes it does comfort me to know that other CAN relate to my misery but at the same time I would NOT wish this misery on anyone!

vaknitter, I've always suspected it may be an allergy, possibly a combination of allergic responses. I am trying to pay attention to the foods I eat to see which ones seem to exacerbate the condition. The E drug I think is Enbrel and the doctor did discuss this as an option.

Debkcs, Clobetasol didn't even phase the condition. I've been using Fluocinonide. It's effective while I'm using it. I hadn't heard of pustular rheumatic rash.... time to Google!

WIMs:
>Laphghan

OTNs:
>
Intarsia sweater; Toys for Tots 2009 toy baby blankets

FOs:
>
6 pr socks (includes Leaves in the Rain Socks); 1 pr baby socks; cradle cap shawl; 2 Aran jumpers; 3 washclothes; fingerless gloves for DD; 2 Forest Canopy Shawls; numerous baby blankets (Toys for Tots 2008); BSJ

OTHs:
>Filet panel; Carry-All bag; 2 Christening gowns;

CFOs
>Faux knitted handbag; Amigurumi owl, panda bear (no pattern); 2 Filet square doilies
remclave is offline   Reply With Quote