Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #11
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

My mom let me wear her wedding dress when I was a kid, like Silver, my mom was size 2 when she got married. It was this lacy, scratchy thing but I thought it was grand.
I've kept my dress for the past 15 years, lugging it around from house to house as we've moved. I'll never have kids so I guess I keep it for more sentimental reasons. Somehow getting rid of it would freak me out.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I wouldn't sell it. The resale value is minimal, the nostalgic value great. It doesn't matter if you ever expect anyone to use the gown or not it is a momento of a special day and should be preserved.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

thanks for all the opinions and stories - keep them coming !!
I'm not worried about the financial value as I bought it at a clearance sale so it was not expensive. My thinking is more that I felt beautiful wearing my dress that day and would like another bride (on a budget as I was) to be able to feel the same way without spending $1000+. I have the picures and my ring. Honestly the sentimental part of my wedding was my nephew walking down the aisle with the ring bearer pillow (made by my mother) with my grandparents wedding bands tied in place with ours (they were married 50yrs and both died with their bands on and they were specifically left to me) I will always keep that pillow and the garter I made. We rented the hubbies tux, so why keep the dress?
this is a picture of the dress when I went to have the bustle done so no corset or anything ...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dresssmall.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	48001  
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I still have my dress...never been worn long story but due to drama (not us other family members) we eloped instead of having the big Christmas wedding...I've kept it because in 2 years we are suppose to have a little ceremony...on our 10th year...

I would prolly keep it 'cause I like the idea of letting Roo play with the dress... I have thought about selling it before...but I think you already know what you want to do and that is sell the dress...I think that is great and nothing wrong with that at all

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #15
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

What a beautiful dress. I loved mine too. I felt like a princess on my wedding day. I've still got hanging in it's bag with the shoes and the tiara, etc.. I'm not sure why I keep it except for the fact that I love it. We don't have children and I only have nephews so unless my friend's daughter wants it, it may eventually be given to charity. I'm hoping to still be able to fit into it and wear it on our 10th anniversary. That would be a hoot!
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
I don't know about saving it. It sounds like such a great memento, but in the end I've got a size 6 outdated dress in a box that doesn't store easily. It would have made more sense to sell it when it was in style. Good ideas about making something with it though. If I EVER get grandkids I'll have to do that.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #17
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I couldn't get rid of it, but if it's not the most sentimental part of your wedding to you then I think it is a wonderful, selfless, noble thing to think of another bride feeling like you did when you wore it.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:23 AM   #18
scout52
Working the Gusset

I agree with Cynamar. If that wasn't the sentimental part of your wedding. It would be such a selfless act on your part to give such a beautiful dress to someone on a budget so she could look just as beautiful on her wedding day. It is a very beautiful dress which by the way looks FABULOUS on you!!
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #19
msoebel
Turning the Heel

I'm sentimental, but I tend not to be overly sentimental about things. I mean, I have my wedding band and my engagement ring, and a blue topaz ring my dd bought me for mother's day a few years ago, and a few letters and stuff that I would like to hold on to. Other than that, things are just things.

That said, I still have my wedding dress in a box. I don't know why except that the store I bought it from preserved it for free, so now I have it. They offered to preserve it because they didn't hem it like there were supposed to, and I fell down the stairs.

It's way too long to be a dress-up dress (it's got a small train). Maybe I'll just save it and make a quilt with it for dd as a wedding gift in about 25-30 years (she's only 4!).

Be a light unto the world...not a bug zapper.
msoebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #20
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

I started to sell my wedding dress a couple of years ago but Hubby convinced me not too. This year on Spring Break my DD (17.5yo) got really bored and got into my closet. Got her hands on my wedding dress and swished around in it for a half hour or so, insisting "This is so PREEEETTYYYY!' (Hubby wasn't ready for DD in a wedding dress and said so!)