Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #21
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I don't blame him! I would like to put mine in a burkha.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #22
Jen17
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cindycactus View Post
My daughter saved her wedding dress but neither of her daughters could fit into it. Recently she asked me to cut it up and make 5 prairie dolls and make the dresses for them out of the lace and satin. She wanted two for her daughters and two for her granddaughters as keepsakes. She thought she would keep the fifth one just in case there is another granddaughter in the future. I felt honored that I could do this for all of them.
what a wonderful idea Cindy, do you have pictures of what these dolls look like?

Jen

my name on Ralvery is: knitnackpaddywak
Jen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #23
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I happen to come across this thread and we are de-cluttering our house/lives. I think I'll donate mine to the baby thing, that would be cool. I'm not really attached to my dress, it was off the rack because we planned our wedding in 26 days.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 PM   #24
starburst
Knitting the Flap

My mom saved her wedding dress and she really pushed the idea of my sister wearing it for her wedding. My sister and I both felt horrible because it was really difficult to tell her that her wedding dress was hideous. it was hand made out of muslin and she and her friends embroidered giant leaves and mushrooms all over the sleeves and the bottom hem in olive greens, mustard yellow, and brown. Sentimentally, it's priceless, but it's out lived it's lifespan.

Last edited by starburst : 04-22-2008 at 12:10 AM.
starburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Oh, gosh! She didn't really think that everyone would love it, did she? I mean, she obviously did and that's wonderful but it sounds like a dress you have to really be committed to if you know what I mean.

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 AM   #26
starburst
Knitting the Flap

I feel bad even mentioning it. My mom just has a very different style and no doubt the dress was beautiful on her but it wasn't a style that my sister or I buy into much
Old 04-21-2008, 01:45 AM   #27
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

You have to keep it forever. You don't have to wear it. I am so curious and would kill for a picture.

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #28
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by starburst View Post
My mom saved her wedding dress and she really pushed the idea of my sister wearing it for her wedding. My sister and I both felt horrible because it was really difficult to tell her that her wedding dress was hideous. it was hand made out of muslem and she and her friends embroidered giant leaves and mushrooms all over the sleeves and the bottom hem in olive greens, mustard yellow, and brown. Sentimentally, it's priceless, but it's out lived it's lifespan.
HAHAHAHA, I had to laugh because my gues sis she was a late 60's or early 70's Bride (I was too) and that would have REALLY been "stylin" back then.

I showed my daughter some of my hand embroidered, muslin tops from that era when she was in high school and she's called me "hippie mom" ever since!!
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 AM   #29
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

You could make some SIMPLE angel ornaments out of the fabric or the lace from the wedding dress. Super easy to do and would be treasured by all.. your mom, grandmother, children, and future grandchildren???

The angel wings can be made.. simply by dipping the 'lace part in glue/water mixture .. squeezing out as much glue as you can, dry flat on saran wrap (? anything that it won't stick to) and then when dry.. cut wing shapes out.. (that you have traced onto thin cardboard (cereal or cracker box) that you use as a pattern... just trace around it and cut the lace angel wings out.

Body of angel? Simply grab a rectangle or square for the body, stuff some cotton balls (or batting) in the center for a small head, tie lace or a ribbon, or even just wrap a heavy piece of thread around the neck (under the head 'stuffing').. then, there you have the body of the clothing hanging down. You can even tie another ribbon or some lace around the waist.. but, it's not necessary.

Hot glue or sew the wings to the back. No need to add hair.. but, you could use some of the lace.. gathered for the hair or use ribbons.

OR you could just sew a lace (w/ the wedding dress fabric) into a small stuffed pillow.. use a ribbon as a hanger.. and you have a 'nice stuffed' lacy ornament for your tree. You can dress it up w/ beads threaded hanging down from the botton of the little ornament pillow. *If you turn it on a corner.. the beads and the lace hanger can be put on the corners.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:24 PM   #30
wiredqs
Ribbing the Cuff

I had mine preserved and boxed, and left it in Mom's spare room closet. After about 25 years she got fed up and donated it to a thrift shop where she did volunteer work. She said that the person who bought it used it for a Haloween costurme and gave her a picture. She offered it to me, but I declined.
(I never did ask what she did with my toe shoes and ice skates)
wiredqs is offline   Reply With Quote