Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Moving stitches from circular needle to DPN help?
Hello! I am knitting in the round for the first time (I'm a fairly new knitter), and I decreased my hat as much as I can on my circular needles, so I'm making my first attempt at double pointed needles. So I slid all of the stitches successfully onto the DPN and went happily on my way, really excited because I was actually able to knit on them since I had been intimidated by them for quite some time! Only to find out that now all of my stitches are backward, and my beautiful hat that was in perfect stockinette is now in reverse and looks horrible! I have a first aid kit video and can rip out the 2 rows I did before I realized, but I can't figure out how to put the stitches onto the DPN differently so this doesn't happen next time. Any advice?
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

I think this is one of the most common problems in circular knitting! You're most likely knitting on the needles away from you instead of closest two you. Imagine the circle of your knitting as being a cup, and knit on the side you'd drink from. If you knit on the "wrong" side, you'll be knitting inside out!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa R. For This Useful Post:
DorothyDot (04-15-2008)
Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You don't have to move the stitches from the circ to the dpns, just knit them on. That way you'll be going in the same direction.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #4
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

I don't understand the cup theory, as I only start where the trailing yarn is and the only place that feels comfortable (i.e. there's only one direction I can knit since the yarn is hanging in only one place, right?).

I'm not sure how to knit onto the DPN. Any idea where I can find an instructional video or more detail on how to do this? I've never done anything like this, and it's making my brain vibrate just thinking about it .
Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
cam90066
Working the Gusset

When switching from circ to dpn just take one of the dpns and start knitting on it (in lieu of the other end of your circ ndl). Do 1/4 or 1/3 of your sts, depending on how many dpns you're using, then take another dpn and work another 1/4 or 1/3 of the sts, etc. Eventually all the sts will be divided between the dpns and your circ will be empty. All the sts will have been worked in the same dir as when they were on the circ.

Quote:
there's only one direction I can knit since the yarn is hanging in only one place, right?
No, you can always turn and go back in the opposite dir making your RS the WS.

The 'cup' theory differentiates between whether you work your circ 'RS out' or 'RS in.' If the loop of the circ is near your body, but the ndls are away (closer to your knees), the RS of the work will be on the inside of the loop. If the ndl tips are near your body, and the loop extends out, the RS will be on the outside. If you changed this orientation when you switched to dpns that explains how your sts went from RS to WS.

cam
Old 04-15-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Ahhhh I think that makes sense. I have to sit down and change it around. Everything did *feel* backward while I was knitting, so maybe that explains it. I'll pick it up again tomorrow with just a practice piece. I don't think my problem was with actually knitting in the round - it was making the transfer from the circulars to the DPNs, so I'll make a practice piece with that and fiddle with it with these answers in mind and see if I can figure it out. I'm a self-taught knitter, so I'm sure I'm missing so many steps it's not even funny (okay, it's probably funny to "real" knitters haha). Thank you so much for your help. You guys are great!
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
(okay, it's probably funny to "real" knitters haha).
You ARE a real knitter.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Azlynn View Post
I'm a self-taught knitter, so I'm sure I'm missing so many steps it's not even funny (okay, it's probably funny to "real" knitters haha). Thank you so much for your help. You guys are great!
Hey, knitting isn't that hard. And you have certainly gotten the basics down well if you've come this far.

Just a few quirky tweaks now and then, that's all. Here's a secret [don't tell anyone!]: None of us will ever know all the tricky tweaks. I've been knitting for 50 years and still discover new tweaks. For example - I'd never heard of I-cord until finding this forum a while ago.

So be proud of learning to knit on your own!

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

(okay, it's probably funny to "real" knitters haha)
I second what Silver said. You are a "real" knitter. A lot of us are self taught and as the Yarn Harlot says there is no knitting police.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Azlynn
1st Leg of the Journey

Awwwww you're all so nice!

Hey, I actually know what I-cord is AND how to make it! I must be doing something right! I'm addicted to that show Knitty Gritty, so I pick up a lot of stuff from there, then I practice until my fingers fall off.

Okay, so maybe I am a real knitter. I just don't feel like it sometimes. I think it's because I very seldom actually finish a project. I start a lot of projects with every intention of finishing, then I turn it into a "practice" piece or I get bored and move onto something else. I have only finished a couple of scarves, and this hat that I'm currently doing in the round (I just finished it off by purling since it's all backward so I could finish it, then I'm going to tear it all out and start over so it can be perfect). I do love knitting. It's the best therapy for me!