Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

seaming..
I just do not enjoy seaming! I do the mattress stitch, but I always seem to get off track....I am seaming up a sleeve and the seam kept getting wider and wider. How does that happen? I just don't like sewing at all and this is too much like sewing for me. Grrrrr, I just want to get it done!
Ginny
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Are you seaming in the same stitches you started with on the cuff? Since you probably increased on the edges, that's making your seam grow larger while your sleeve stays the same width all the way up. You want to keep the seam stitches between the first and second stitches on the edge so the sleeve width grows from the increases.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

I feel your pain!
Originally Posted by Ginnyb View Post
I just do not enjoy seaming! I do the mattress stitch, but I always seem to get off track....I am seaming up a sleeve and the seam kept getting wider and wider. How does that happen? I just don't like sewing at all and this is too much like sewing for me. Grrrrr, I just want to get it done!
Ginny
I feel your pain. I will say, though, that it does get easier the more you do it. (I know, like mom used to say during piano lessons.) The hardest part for me is getting it started right.

One trick that has helped me is to keep it loose as I go up so that it is easier to see the stitch on the edge. I pull the seam tight when I am farther away from where i am stitching.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Ginnyb
Knitting the Flap

I am trying to do that, but all of a sudden I will be like 4 stitches in and I have to take it out and start again, I am driving myself crazy. I don't understand if I am following a row of stitches, how I can get off? Guess like scmomof4 said, it will get better the more I do....
Ginnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you follow the same row of stitches on a piece with an increase, you're going straight up while the edge is slanting out. You'll have to jog over a stich everytime a new one is added. I guess this is why people recommend doing the incs one st in from the edge, that way you have a single one along the edge that you can seam from.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
outdoordrea (04-16-2008)
Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
LadyB
1st Leg of the Journey

You can get the same effect with less effort by using a crochet hook to seam. The principle is the same as a 3-needle bind off, but the finished product looks like the mattress stitch.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

As suzeeq points out the ONLY stitch you should be following is the one on the edge. Find the edge and move over one. You can check if you are staying matched up vertical wise by seeing if you have the increases happening at the same time on both sides.

The single crochet seam is really pretty and gives more structure for the sweater. I like the directions in Vogue Knitting.

I know you are antsy to finish the darn thing, but you may want to set it aside for a bit. (Says the woman who was up until 11 pm last night finishing a shell. )
Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

Where are instructions for the crochet seaming? Is that just doing single crochet to joing the two seams, but it will look like mattress stitch?

I don't mind mattress stitch, but I'm curious. :D
Old 04-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
sbeebe
Casting On

I also need seaming help...
Earlier, I posted a question about seaming also but no one's been able to respond. My problem is how to finish the seam (mattress stitch). Do I tie a knot (I know knots are bad), or just weave in the rest of the yarn? I don't want the seam coming undone.
sbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
scmomof4
Ribbing the Cuff

I can only answer for *me* but I usually tie a small knot and then weave in the end. UNLESS I am doing another finish over where the seams come together- eg I have to do a crochet edge around the entire edge. Then I count on the edge to hold everything in place.

This is a good series of pics on how to do the single crochet seam. It looks uber professional when finished.