Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Can you really mail the needles home?
I've read all the posts about flying with knitting needles and everyone always says that they take a padded envelope to send them home in if needed...does TSA really let you do that?
I'm just thinking you would have to have the correct postage, and trust them to put it in a mail drop for you or get out of line and go find a mail drop.
My experiences with TSA have not been favorable - never travelled with my knitting, but coming home from Alaska I had forgotten about a bottle of very expensive lotion in my carryon and when TSA pointed it out I said - that's pretty expensive stuff my checked back is right there (hadn't gone through customs yet) can I go slip it in there. He said NOPE and tossed it in the garbage. Makes me wonder if they are really going to co-operate when it comes to taking a project off the needles and then mailing the needles home.....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Yes, if they have some objection to the needles they will allow you to mail them home. Just be sure to get to security early enough to allow time to do that.

I understand that most of the time TSA isn't hassling people over knitting needles these days but it still pays to be prepared.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Last month I flew from Denver to chicago midway and back and had no problems either way with my circular needles in a carryon (with a project on them). And also when I flew a couple years ago out of Detroit. Overseas flights may be different though, you should contact the airlines for their regulations.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
Lisa1216
Turning the Heel

You have to get out of line and mail them yourself. TSA won't do it for you. Just get there early enough to go mail them and get back in line.

When was the last time you did something for the first time?

On the needles: Not much
Finshed: Nothing lately
Lisa1216 on Ravelry
Lisa1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
iza
Turning the Heel

They might, or they might not. Most times I had to deal with them everything was fine, but there was a few occasions where they were just plainly rude. For instance, they completely freaked out on my boyfriend who was simply asking them if he could bring an apple through customs.

I think you would probably be fine, but if you fall on someone going on a power trip, there's not much you can do. Better to bring a cheap pair of needles, in my opinion!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
gargoyle08
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via Yahoo to gargoyle08
Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
{...} I had forgotten about a bottle of very expensive lotion in my carryon and when TSA pointed it out I said - that's pretty expensive stuff my checked back is right there (hadn't gone through customs yet) can I go slip it in there. He said NOPE and tossed it in the garbage. Makes me wonder if they are really going to co-operate when it comes to taking a project off the needles and then mailing the needles home.....

See, i had a different experience, the TSA lady offered me to go check my cleanser in my suitcase. The bottle was almost empty (and I also pay wholesale, since I sell mary kay) so I did not bother, but the option was there for me. That guy was just happy to show off his power I believe :(

If you are willing to get in line again, you must be assertive and tell them that you will handle whatever they deny you to bring on board. They can not take anything from you unless you want to proceed to the gate.
gargoyle08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
We had a different experience coming home on the last trip. My sweetie had an empty water bottle, mine had just about an inch left. He got to keep the empty, I had to thow out the whole bottle. He could still refill it once he got past the check. Next time, I'll take empty ones with us, instead of paying $2 to get one to reuse.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,764 Times in 7,132 Posts
I wouldn't trust them to do it for you. Let's face it they are swamped as it is so mailing home someone's knitting needles is most likely not a top priority.

That said there is another concern...does the airport have a mailbox? The first time I flew with my needles I took the padded envelope, correct postage, etc just in case. I asked as I was going through security if they had a mailbox and they said "no" so it wouldn't have done me any good anyway.

Last week when I flew to DC I made sure I put a lifeline through my project and just kept my fingers crossed. I figured the KP classics were cheap enough I'd take the chance. They didn't bat an eye. I do know of a few people who flew internationally and had theirs confiscated though.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
xxkarenlxx
Ribbing the Cuff

I've been in several airports that had mail "stations" set up for you to mail something home that otherwise would have been confiscated. These stations would sell you an envelope and postage at an inflated rate, but the option was there.
xxkarenlxx is offline   Reply With Quote