Old 04-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
newkster
Casting On

OMG OMG I'VE BEEN DOING IT WRONG!!!
OK. I just bought a book yesterday called "KnitSpeak" which is kindof like a dictionary of the knitting language. When I looked up knitting I found that I've been doing wrong this whole time...

Instead of Knitting I've been Knitting from the back loop. I've only done one project so far, and It doesn't look bad at all...

Is knitting from the back loop that same thing as the knit stich or no? Cause If it's not the same I'm going to have to totally relearn this wonderful new hobby I have...

Please help...
newkster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I think what you might be doing is combined knitting..the link will take you to Amy's Knit videos...and then check out her purl video for this...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog

Last edited by dustinac : 04-17-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: purl link
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #3
Yarnlady
Turning the Heel

As long as you are just knitting there is no problem. If you start adding purls then you'll get twisted stitches.

However, don't despair! A very famous designer and teacher, Annie Modesitt knits that way and has lots of information on how to do what she calls Combination Knitting. Do a search for either her name or the technique to find out how to have your knitting look like everyone elses when you're done.

Yarnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yarnlady For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
newkster
Casting On

Well see... I have been combining the purl stich... The pattern for the baby blanket is *k1 row, p1 row* repeat from * three times. *k1r* repeat from * three times. Repeat stich 14 times...

It looks fine, but I'm just worried now... and kinda depressed...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by newkster View Post
Well see... I have been combining the purl stich... The pattern for the baby blanket is *k1 row, p1 row* repeat from * three times. *k1r* repeat from * three times. Repeat stich 14 times...

It looks fine, but I'm just worried now... and kinda depressed...
If it looks right then you prolly just figured the combined method out on your own...if you want you can post a picture up close of the sts and we can then let you know for sure it is right...but don't worry or be depressed!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
newkster
Casting On

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
If it looks right then you prolly just figured the combined method out on your own...if you want you can post a picture up close of the sts and we can then let you know for sure it is right...but don't worry or be depressed!!
Thanks for the hug... LOL... I guess what matters is if it looks right to me so... Anywho... Thanks so much guys...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #7
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I am just finishing up a pair of Pomatomus socks that features that variation of the knit stitch throughout. It creates raised lines when used in a k1tbl, p1. It's a very attractive look, but doesn't lay flat as a standard knit stitch.
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Hey there -- Lighten up!

I spent the first 10 years knitting AND purling through the back loop. Yep, my stitches were twisted. But otherwise, all my projects functioned and looked really nice, just like I'd intended. And people liked them just as well.

I even taught others to knit/purl like that.

But no matter. No harm done! Like I said, only another knitter would know to spot this goof.

It's like any other mistake in knitting [or any other craft]: just learn from your mistake, correct it so you don't do it any more - and move on! Beating yourself up NEVER is good.

NEVER BEAT ON YOURSELF!

You likely are self-taught, right? So pat yourself on the back and BE PROUD that you've mastered - yes, MASTERED! - an ancient craft.

Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DorothyDot For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Oh please don't worry about how you knit. Amy Modesitt is a great knitter, in fact she does knitting all over the United States. I also think in Canada so look up her website and you will see how to do Combined knitting. Just think you learned all by yourself and others have paid lots of money for her to teach them.
So congrats on your Combined knitting.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
newkster (04-17-2008)
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
newkster
Casting On

OMG ... I think I'm gonna Cry...

Thanks for all the love people... And yes I am self taught... I picked up the little book from Walmart that came with a free pair of needles and basically threw myself into it... I'M FREAKING LOVING IT....

BTW... If there are anymore Guys out there don't be ashamed... You've got a great hobby... and for the record look up the history of knitting... You'll be supprised...

Also... Pick up the book "Knitting with Balls: A Hands on guide to knitting for the Modern Man"... You'll love it...