Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #21
lactosefree
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by dustinac View Post
Also, for the continental purl I would suggest looking at Amy's Norwegian Purling video...

Thanks for posting this! I think the last time I looked at the purling video page the Norwegian style wasn't up yet. I it! Yay, a new way to purl!

lactosefree is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Yeah, I would think heavy yarn and large needles would be more difficult continental. I wonder.... do most contis use thin yarn and small needles more than english knitters do?
I tend to knit with thinner yarn...for some reason bulky and larger needles really hurt when I knit with them not really harder to do...just very uncomfy...I never thought to change to English though...I'll give that a try next time

Originally Posted by lactosefree View Post
Thanks for posting this! I think the last time I looked at the purling video page the Norwegian style wasn't up yet. I it! Yay, a new way to purl!
I was doing the continental purl and although I wasn't having any trouble with it, I didn't care much for it (I used my thumb 'cause my middle finger just wouldn't help that yarn over...so a few days ago I was looking around and found that video...I'm working on a top with a lot of purl sts and it's a lot easier/faster to do

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #23
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I can not for the life of me figure out purling with the English method but doesn't really matter!
When purling english you use exactly the same motion over the needle as knitting. It's just that your tip is point to the front left instead of the back left.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #24
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

I'll have to put that video on my "when you go to the library that has broadband" list. Right now I'm halfway through a sweater in moss stitch and all that switching back and forth is driving me NUTS.

I agree with most of you--do what feels right, not what you think the Knitting Police want. If it doesn't hurt your hands and you're getting the result you (not anyone else, YOU) want, it's a Good Thing. TRying out new techniques is part of the fun, but if you don't like them, nobody is allowed to make you!

I learned to crochet first, too, and everyone around here seems to knit not only English, but with a wrist-twisting variation and very, very hard, tight gauge. That won't work for me. Thick yarn doesn't seem to be a problem,--I don't like a lot of the projects that are made with the clothesline-sized yarn and great big needles, but it isn't harder to work with or anything. Really fine yarn is more of a problem for these stiff hands--I can;t do much thread crochet, either.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:26 PM   #25
Constance123
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi,
Constance here. I was an English knitter until I was 30. At that time I was living in Germany (AF wife). My landlandy saw me throwing my thread with my right hand and said "ach, you Americans, you waste so much time, here do it this way". She just took it from me and showed me the continental way. You have to let go of the grip and really knit looser. I hold my tension with my left index finger. It took me one solid year to stop picking up the knitting the English way. It takes forever. But finally you will forget the old English way. Stick with it. Make yourself do this. But releasing your work and knitting very loose will help a lot. You will find you like it a lot better. Also, working with only round needles has helped. Good Luck. Let me know how it's going.
Love
Constance
Constance123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
zkimom
Working the Gusset

Ok, let me throw this onto the pile. I learned knitting continental (actually combined but I didn't know the difference at the time, all I knew was I held my yarn in my left hand) and I knit that way until last year when I wanted to start teaching knitting classes. I had heard that it was easier to learn knitting English style (although Kelley Petkun disagrees) and that's how both my kids were learning at school so I thought I'd give it a try.

I picked it up fairly quickly and now, I love knitting both ways. There's something very meditative and relaxing about doing a garter stitch scarf and knitting English. If I were to knit garter and use continental, I knit too fast and kind of miss the pleasure of the stitch along the way.

That being said, I don't purl well English style and much prefer continental for stitches that require me to mix knits and purls. That includes anything other than straight stockinette or garter.

Really, it's all about the knitting.

And I just wanted to add that my garter stitch is much more even since I've been knitting English. I never liked doing garter stitch continental style. My rows always came out kind of wonky and uneven. When I garter English style my rows are nice and straight. Maybe it has to do with the way the stitches sit on the needle when I knit them off but it's much easier for me to work them English.

Check out my photoblog: Photobella

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
--Elwood P. Dodd
zkimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #27
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
When purling english you use exactly the same motion over the needle as knitting. It's just that your tip is point to the front left instead of the back left.
Yeah, I know this in theory but when it comes to the practice my
brain just sorta goes on holiday and I sit there with drool coming
out the side of my mouth! I can purl any way I've come
across so far in continental but for some reason english does
not click.

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #28
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Silly Libbie ! hee hee

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 PM   #29
1to1
Turning the Heel

I learned English and every now and then will knit Cont but then switch back. I know that I need to stick with it longer (like for a whole dishcloth) but it seems that when I finish a row I switch back on the next row without realizing it.

IMO, I honestly don't think any one way is better but agree that it is useful to know many different ways.

1to1
1to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #30
rox_on2
Ribbing the Cuff

Wow, I didn't expect such response!
Thank you all for your input!

I really don't mind my throwing style that much as I am very comfortable.
I probably wouldn't ever know the difference, were it not for the internet. Seeing how others do it though, made me realise it can be done more efficiently/faster! So I just want to learn it.

I had my knitting with me at work today and my Irish client whom I know to be a knitter was asking about the project I'm working on. I'm doing 2 toe up on 1 circ magic loop.
I whatched her doing some knitting last time she was in and was quite impressed. She holds her yarn in her right hand but doesn't throw, but rather shifts the yarn using her right index finger, much like you might do in continental....
Anyway, she wanted to understand what I was doing with the magic loop so I had her do some stitches her way meanwhile I showed her what I've been practicing to learn conti.

It was fun!
I'm gonna keep at it and one day I'll be a pro!

Thanks again
rox_on2 is offline   Reply With Quote