Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 PM   #31
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Most of us `throwers' don't really `throw' the yarn. What's shown in a lot of how to videos, with the hand leaving the needle completely is not what we do. Mostly just skim the needle with the right hand, while flexing/flicking out the yarn with the index finger. That comes with practice, so just keep practicing....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
rox_on2 (04-18-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #32
rox_on2
Ribbing the Cuff

Right on. She is more of a flicker....and by huge contrast I am straight up a thrower with the whole arm and shoulder! Just seems like alot of movement for such a small stitch, hence my desire to learn something new! = )
rox_on2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 AM   #33
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Whether you decide to continue on with learning continental or keep practicing english until you too become a flicker either way experience and practice should increase your speed. Just remember though it will cost you more in yarn as you finish projects faster.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I'm a die hard English knitter. Other than for color work I see no need to learn continental. I don't "throw" my yarn. my elbows are both comfortably at my side, shoulders don't move and the yarn is controled by my index finger with a minimal of movement.

My suggestion is you work on keeping you body more still and knit with your finger not your entire body. Neither english or continenetal is going to be fast if you are using your entire upper body.
GinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #35
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Most of us `throwers' don't really `throw' the yarn. What's shown in a lot of how to videos, with the hand leaving the needle completely is not what we do.

There, that's it! Only through the Net have I come to realize that English knitting doesn't have to be the full-body contact Olympic sport it is around here. The books I tried to learn from (no videos back in 1970 or so) all showed the same movement the local knitters use--just about drop the needle, throw the yarn with the whole right arm, use the right wrist to twist it around the needle, pull the stitch off (and I mean PULL) and give the yarn a sharp yank with each stitch to "set it on the needle". Some of the old knitting projects I find at Goodwill and such are stiff as cardboard from the incredibly tight gauge. For instance, there's a cuff from something that came in a bag of yarn. It's worsted weight, probably acrylic, 6 stitches to the inch...and that's one of the softer ones. I can't find the one swatch to measure it right now, but it will literally stand up by itself. There's no way I can knit that tight or pull the yarn that hard with every stitch. Not surprisingly, most knitters don't finish a lot of projects and spend a lot of time comparing notes on carpal tunnel surgery, frozen shoulder manipulation and cortisone shots. How on earth do things like that get started?
Old 04-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #36
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
IMO, I honestly don't think any one way is better but agree that it is useful to know many different ways.
Again, this has been a really interesting thread to read. We've done it before, and I'm sure we'll do it again, but everytime I learn something new.

I'll never be as fast, but now I want to learn Irish Cottage knitting.

As far as English vs. continental, continental works best for left-handed me. English just feels clumsy.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:19 PM   #37
ShowDucky81
Casting On

I was in the waiting room knitting while my sister was in surgery and there was another lady knitting herself. She told me that English style will kill my elbows and should consider learning continental. I didn't feel like I was killing my elbows at all and felt quite relaxed. This puzzled me so much. Everyone here says that whatever style fits you best is the one you should go with. I would like to try continental style because it does seem like it's more efficient.

:/

ShowDucky81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 PM   #38
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Pertaining to whole arm/shoulder movement in english style....

Quote:
How on earth do things like that get started?
I dunno, it could be that in the how to videos that show completely letting go the needle it's hard to slow down to show how the yarn wraps around the needle and through the stitch. Or the people who make them are really continental knitters and don't know english well or that's the style they were taught. There's a couple video on YouTube that show a much more efficient way to knit english and it's similar to how I do it.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 AM   #39
Terrycap
Casting On

Continental knitting for beginners
I originally learned to knit the continental way many years ago. I grew frustrated with it and quickly put the needles down. Recently I wanted to try again but was convinced I needed to learn the English style. I found someone to teach me and I hated it. It seems so awkward compared to continental. As someone else mentioned there is no right or wrong way. The tension gets better as you practice. To me that was the biggest problem. I love the videos on this site that help show me the stitches. I don't know any knitters in my community that knit continental so I rely on the videos to help me. I am still a beginner but love it and will keep going forward.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 AM   #40
bopscopbird
Casting On

I'm new to this forum, so hello fellow knitters! I've been a knitter for about 8 or so years, and I've always used the English method, using my wrist and hand to throw the yarn. On a whim I decided to look up the Continental method, because I'd heard that it was much faster than the English method. Let me tell you, I've watched videos and read instructions and looked at diagrams and I CANNOT knit Continental whatsoever. The working yarn keeps scooting off my fingers no matter how many times I wrap it around my five digits, and the tension in my stitches gets all messed up. HOW ON EARTH can anyone knit that way??? Anyway, I'm definitely going back to English so that I can actually get something done!
bopscopbird is offline   Reply With Quote