Old 04-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #1
picklesandpb
Casting On

Having a freak out...
Okay all...
I have a confession to make...
I am a novice knitter, but an avid learner, and am desperate to just pick up my needles and knit... I have two kits I got as gifts for my bday two months ago... and I haven't touched them. Bags of yarn given to me for free... unopened.
Sad, isn't it?
And I think I have figured out why.
Perfectionism. I am a new mom, and am frequently 'supermom' as my husband works long hours... and everything must be just [i]so.[u] And it is clearly seeping into my free time... my possible knitting time...

I am sooo afraid of screwing up. I don't want to mess up a project. I will cast on to practice, and knit a few rows of a pattern... then pull it all off. And then do it again.

Please tell me that I am not the only one who feels like this... I don't want this to be something I have started, and will never finish. I want to knit for my daughter... and me. And hubby...
How do I get over this???
Please help me!!!

Thanks for listening...
Becky

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Take a Deep Breath!
Hi Becky,
Just calm down and take a deep breath!

I have been knitting just a little over 16 months and just want you to know that it's ok to make mistakes...everyone does...even the most experienced knitter does. Once you have that settled, you can just relax and enjoy your knitting!

You have a lot on your plate right now, for sure. I don't know if I could have fit knitting in when my sons were little...now that they are grown, I'm having sooooo much fun and you will too!

What are you going to knit first?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
Becky Morgan
Turning the Heel

Like the Nike commercials: Just do it. Eventually, you have to say "Close enough is good enough and I am not giving up any more." I know there are people who insist every stitch be perfect. I am not and will never be one of them. Pick some small project--ANYTHING--the booties that go with the Five-Hour Baby Sweater come to mind. They only take an hour or two to make if you don't knit fast. Make one. That ought to break the ice and nothing will be that difficult afterward.

--Also-Becky :D
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
picklesandpb
Casting On

Thanks so much for your quick replies and support, Merry and Becky!
It just seems so overwhelming, to even pick up the kit and read the instructions.... and one is just dishcloths, for pity's sake!
I think you're right, though... I just need to do it.... and just keep on going instead of second guessing....

I just so need it to be a relaxing fun-for-me thing to be doing after work and my little love is in bed... not a stressful, oh-god-what-if-I-screw-this-up kinda of hobby, ya know?
A first project just seems so daunting...

But I must... I just have to....! I am tired of finding excuses not to...

Becky
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

A dishcloth would be a great first project! They're small and usually pretty easy, and if you make a mistake it's no big deal, because it's going to get used a lot. And a lot of mistakes that we make are virtually invisible to non-knitters anyway!

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:17 PM   #6
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by merryknitter View Post
Hi Becky,

....... just want you to know that it's ok to make mistakes...everyone does...even the most experienced knitter does. Once you have that settled, you can just relax and enjoy your knitting!
Lots of good advice already.
Pick something simple that you love, and just go for it. I've been knitting for 25+ years, I still frog if it's not perfect in my eyes. Just try, try again and you will get there!

Your two unopened kits might not be the best place to start. Yes they're there and were free, but if the patterns are too advanced or you don't love them, it'll be that much harder. Do something only a little challenging to build up your confidence, instead of getting frustrated with something too advanced.

Happy knitting!
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
knitttina
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to knitttina Send a message via MSN to knitttina Send a message via Yahoo to knitttina Send a message via Skype™ to knitttina
I was the SAME WAY. I have two or three thing that I abandoned because they weren't perfect. However I have learned from them. Watching the vidoes on here I've learned how to fix things so I might go back and fix them. Thats some of the fun.
I put off learning for a long time for the same reasons. I really wish I hadn't.

~KnitTina on Skype~
knitttina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
cheley
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitttina View Post
I was the SAME WAY. I have two or three thing that I abandoned because they weren't perfect. However I have learned from them. Watching the vidoes on here I've learned how to fix things so I might go back and fix them. Thats some of the fun.
I put off learning for a long time for the same reasons. I really wish I hadn't.
I have been knitting for about 3 years (taught myself crochet first, needless to say that was challenging)....I was fortunate to have an experienced crafter( knitter, crocheter, quilter and I might mention she was 93 years old) at my dispense...after losing her, the questions still come up (that's why I love KH) anyway, don't attempt any kits/patterns until you are confident that you can do them...Shaping a garment (inc and dec) can be tricky... as well as following patterns...Take your time, learn the basics, then jump into you "kits" step by step...and most of all have tons of patience .....
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #9
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

The nice thing is that if you do make a mistake you haven't wasted materials. Yarn is reusable. I agree with the others start with something simple, dishcloths are great. You won't get close to perfect until you make the mistakes and learn to fix them.
From dishcloths maybe some simple felted items. Once felted minor mistakes disappear and even you won't see them.
Knitting is fun just maybe not as much at first when everything seems so foreign, but as your stitches smooth out and knitting language becomes english and you turn out nicer and more intricate items it becomes an addiction.
Welcome to the world of knitters.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
Limey
Turning the Heel

Gotta Knit said:

Your two unopened kits might not be the best place to start. Yes they're there and were free, but if the patterns are too advanced or you don't love them, it'll be that much harder. Do something only a little challenging to build up your confidence, instead of getting frustrated with something too advanced.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If you have to open anything like a kit, I think you automatically raise the bar on yourself. Doesn't matter if it's a model aeroplane, a building set or knitting .... it's a kit, so you've gotta get it right!!

Maybe hop to the local shop, buy a cheapo pair of needles and a ball of easy-going yarn and just knit and play. You'll enjoy it and it doesn't put that pressure on you to get it right.

Let us know how you make out.

Best Wishes
Ellie
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote