Old 04-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Prayer Request for a Friend -- UPDATED 4/28
One of my daughter's closest friend's mother just found out she has colon cancer.

She will be having surgery on Tuesday to remove the left portion of her colon. I do not know how severe the cancer is, but I do know that this will be major surgery. We don't know if she'll have to have chemo afterwards.

Please keep her in your prayers. She's a wonderful lady with two teenagers. Her name is Bea.

Now, a few questions.

I am not super, super close to her, but because of our kids being nearly the same age (the girls are in the same grade and several classes, the boys swim on their school team together), I don't want to do anything to make her uncomfortable...ask too personal of questions, whatnot.

I did speak with her yesterday, and I have offered my chauffering services for her kids. We attend the same church and schools. Her mom will be staying with her for some time, so the cooking is taken care of (thank goodness, because my talents do not lie in this area).

I plan on sending flowers to her while she's in the hospital...something to brighten her room.

I would like to knit her something too. If she has to go through chemo, I will be making her some hats, if she's agreeable.

In the meantime, I'd like to know...what else can I do? Could I knit her something to have in the hospital for comfort...what does a person who has this kind of surgery need to make them more comfortable/less bored/etc?

Thanks all! I know that with so many members, we've all had different experiences in our lives. So, perhaps this is something you've gone through and can help me out with ideas.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov

Last edited by auburnchick : 04-29-2008 at 12:14 AM.
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #2
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

My experience with cancer patients, my dh and a ds, is that they do want to talk but not necessarily about the cancer all the time. Talk about anything. Your children and what they are doing. You can always ask if they would like for you to do something for them or with them. I found that for some reason cancer scares people and they tend to shy away. And that is really sad because the cancer patient needs to have things as normal as possible. Hope this helps and I will be praying for your friend.
The Following User Says Thank You to cindycactus For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

I've heard of people making 'comfort blankets' for someone who is ill...basically a big handcrafted 'hug' to curl up in while in bed or recuperating on the couch. Some folks repeat a prayer of wellness or comfort for the intended recipient while working on a comfort blanket. There is an aran afghan pattern I use whenever I want to make something big, soft and FAST (10-15 hours--usually I do it while in front of the TV in the evenings and have it done in a week).
It uses size 15 to 17 needles and 2 strands of worsted at a time (About 2500 yards worth) and makes an afghan about 45"x60". There's a garter stitch border all around, 5 cables run up the length of it separating 4 panels with seed stitch diamonds.

Usually I make these in white and give a pair for wedding gifts, or make a much smaller version (size 10's with a single strand of blue, pink or yellow) as a baby blanket, but I think it ought to work just as well as a comfort blanket for someone to take with them to the hospital for a homey touch, or to wrap up at home when not feeling well. Hope this fits the bill.

Last edited by dustinac : 04-19-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Removal of full pattern please check forum guidelines
CountryKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CountryKitty For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap

Forgot to mention that the pattern came from a Leisure Arts leaflet (lest anyone think I'm claiming it as an original pattern).

***Edit---EEEEEK!!!!

Auburn, I'm sorry, I didn't relize when I posted that pattern that I was violating copyright laws. Dustinac had to remove it to protect the site from any potential legal repercussions. I checked the LeisureArts site and they no longer offer that pattern, but I'm sure the coyrights are still valid. I hate that I got your appetite whetted/ put Dustina to the bother of straightening the mess out.

Substitute idea--my own this time. Simpler but nice--5 large cables on a simple seed stitch background.
Cast on 120
First and last 8 rows--seed stitch
Body...
First 4 stitches of each row--seed stitch
Cables---right side(p2,k4,p2), wrong side (k2,p4,k2), Crossing over every 8th row
Seed stitch panels in between cables 17 stitches wide.
Last 4 stitches--seed stitch.

Again, sorry for the major brainfart--the last thing I intended was to cause a potential problem for this site...I love it here!

Last edited by CountryKitty : 04-20-2008 at 08:46 AM.
CountryKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
scout52
Working the Gusset

my heart goes out for her and her family

I think just helping her with her kids will be a big comfort in itself. and bring her something to keep her occupied at the hospital. boredom at the hospital can be unbearable.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #6
annek2000
Casting On

After help with the kids and cooking, two things really got me thru when I was fighting breast cancer:

I had a person I just barely knew from church that sent me a note with a bad joke or story about her dog or else a postcard every week for that very long year --- she always mailed it Monday am so it gave me something to look forward to on Wed.

I developed a love of old movies on dvd and audiobooks from the library that my husband picked up for me. You don't have to concentrate or do anything, but you don't feel like you're all alone or someone has to entertain you either.

And don't forget to ask how her husband and kids are doing...
annek2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to annek2000 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

She and her family are in my prayers. When going through a tough time, the best gift is a willing listener, whether over the phone or at the kitchen table over a cup of coffee. Sometimes it's even easier to talk to someone we don't know too well than it is to someone we've known well forever.
auburnchick (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
HollyP
Working the Gusset

She and her family will be in my prayers!!!
I know this isn't the same but last summer my Mom had a knee replacement surgery and was laid up most of the summer. One of her friends gave a beautiful small hydrangea plant. It was her absolute favorite thing she got. All the cut flowers died pretty quickly and we just had to compost them. We kept the hydrangea inside until it stopped blooming and then planted in the yard. Now it is twice the size and getting ready to bloom again. Every year when it blooms my Mom will remember that is the gift that Carol gave her after surgery. Another friend would just drop by to talk she would stay for a few minutes or a few hours depending on how Mom was feeling. We were both surprised by this because she and Mom had never really been all that close, they had known each other for years through us kids but never really beyond that.
As someone else mentioned cards always brighten up the mood.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Thanks all! I've taken your advice to heart.

Yesterday, I went out and purchased this yarn:

I'm going to make the comfort throw that CountryKitty suggested.

I think I will also get her a plant. My intentions were to get her flowers for her room, and although I do prefer fresh flowers, I think a plant is a better idea.

I'm also going to start sending her a card each week.

Wow! Y'all are so terrific! Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Prayers for her and her family

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-19-2008)