Old 04-19-2008, 01:15 PM   #11
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Nathalie,

I will pray for Bea and her family. You are a good person to do this for her and I know she will appreciate it.

My DH had surgery last year to remove the junction between his small and large intestine (he has Crohn's disease and had developed a small bowel obstruction) and it seemed that things to keep his spirits up and distract him from the pain worked well, so I like your idea of making something for comfort, sending something that means life (plants) and mailing her letters for distraction - you're a great writer and very funny so I'm sure she will enjoy your kid stories and life observations in general.

God bless Bea, her family and your generous heart!

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knit4Fun For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-19-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #12
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Thank you so much for the kind words.

My husband has Crohn's Disease, and he's been in the hospital several times, so I can sympathize.

I appreciate the confirmation that what I've chosen to do is okay. I have very little self confidence when it comes to these kinds of things.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
kayrun
Ribbing the Cuff

That yarn is really pretty, and I'm sure the blanket will be sort of like a prayer shawl for her - - you can knit prayers into each stitch as you go (and include a card telling her so!)
Knitting hugs & prayers for you both,
Karen G.
in GA
kayrun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kayrun For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
Knit4Fun
Turning the Heel

Nathalie,

If you wouldn't mind, post a photo when you are done with it so we can see it and those who pray can send their love and prayers along with it too. That way we can all convey a bit of love and support to her.

OTN: Chunky Knit Scarf; Baby Sweater; Mitts

Recent FO: Christmas Ornaments; Felted Bag; Felted Clutch

Ravelry ID: Knittn4Fun

Flickr ID: Knit4Fun

Blog: Blogbykris.livejournal.com
Knit4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
InterNette
Turning the Heel

One of my friends has just past one year with Ovarian cancer, and it has been a tough year, but she never complains or shows it. There is a group of us who sew together. We made her a quilt which she loved because she used it for her chemo sessions and she shared all the squares with stories of who made what and so on. Anyway everyone steps over one another not sure what to do, so I offered to vacumn and wash floors once, she was so happy and the vacumn was hard with her stitches in the forward and back motion. I also make soups, I love making soups so was happy to have an excuse to make extra. Her husband owns a business is isnt home till late at night and she hasnt any children so the soup that is filling and easy on her belly and she doesnt have to cook or make a fuss in the kitchen. She told me she loved soup so I felt useful at least. I always feel like I dont know what I should be doing and tell her just ask and I can do what she needs but she never asks and I worry about that line between being a pest or being helping. I am shamefully one of those people that doesnt know what I should be doing or saying sometimes in these situations.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InterNette For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #16
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Originally Posted by Knit4Fun View Post
Nathalie,

If you wouldn't mind, post a photo when you are done with it so we can see it and those who pray can send their love and prayers along with it too. That way we can all convey a bit of love and support to her.

Thank you...I sure will!

Y'all are the BEST!

Old 04-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #17
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Nathalie, you are a wonderful friend, even if you don't know her very well.

WHEN her mother goes home, step in with some soups or salads and maybe some really good bread. Also, if her yard starts looking shaggy, maybe you could get some guys from your church to help out with it.

Just a simple phone call made my day when I was side lined with various problems (including the cancer that I am now a ten year survivor of, praise God).

Does she knit or crochet? Simple projects can keep you from going bonkers after you've been home for awhile.

I'll be praying for Bea.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-20-2008)
Old 04-20-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

No, she doesn't knit or crochet. She doesn't even go on the computer. I'm thinking that I might rent some movies for her...maybe "Bring it On." Wasn't that a funny movie about cheer leading? She used to be a cheerleader, so I think she might enjoy it, if she hasn't already seen it.

I was also thinking yesterday, after reading Knit4Fun's comments, about maybe printing some of my funnier blog entries and putting them into a card each week. Laughter has been proven to have healing qualities (although I know that it's the Lord who does the healing).

Please keep the good ideas coming!

Old 04-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #19
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I hope I am not to late for sending my prayers to your children's friends mother.

My girlfriend had called me to tell me that her brother's daughter had just died. It was very sad she was only 22 years old.
So I wanted to send a shawl to both my girlfriend and her sister-in-law.
So I looked up prayer shawl on google. I found this wonderful site. I don't know how to put it here but this is the url: www.shawlministry.com/prayer_page.html
It has so many prayers for different healings I think that everyone who needs to make a blanket or shawl will like this site.
Again I will have her and the family in my heart and prayers.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (04-20-2008)
Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Teri,

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend's niece.

I have to tell you that I had printed out CountryKitty's pattern <gulp>, but I think there's a mistake in the number of cast on or something in the pattern. The #'s were off. So, I frogged.

When I got home, I found a Leisure Arts booklet of knit stitches. Inside is a pattern for a cabled pillow, which uses a Saxon Braid. It's really lovely. So, I'm going to use size 17 needles, double-strand the yarn, and make this pattern...but make it long enough for a lapghan.

Here's a picture of the cable:

Thought I would keep you updated...

My friend's surgery is tomorrow @ 8am Central time.