Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #11
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Soften a pound of butter and mix well with 2 cups of olive oil (an electric mixer is great for this job). Pour it into a container like one of those Glad or Ziplock plastic containers, and put it in the fridge. Let it set up overnight. The result is a SPREADABLE butter straight from the fridge that is 50% heart healthy olive oil. It tastes like butter, but is much, much better for you than either regular butter or margarines.
I live alone (therefore am cooking for one!) and it takes FOREVER to use up non-stick sprays, etc. The only time I use the CBINB product is on the rare occasions when I eat hot veggies (I prefer salad). I never use marg and have a small stick of butter in my freezer that's probably 2-3 yrs old. (IOW, I have no need for anything spreadable.)

I agree with your assessment that this product is most likely indestructable and, worst case scenario, would just get stale so long as it's refrigerated (I can understand their warning about tossing it if left out in warm temps for extended periods).

BTW, I'm really good about watching 'BUB' dates for the fact I need things to sometimes last a long time...being I don't use them up as quickly as some. To find this seemingly popular product on the shelves of a large Los Angeles chain with only a few months usability remaining seemed odd.

cam

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by bailsmom View Post
Umm, doesn't olive oil have like 120 calories for 1 tablespoon? I'm quoting from Biggest Loser, so I may be off a bit but that seems like a crap-load of calories. Healthy or not, watch your portions people!
Yeah, all oils have a lot of calories, including the ones they use in margarine. But olive oil is a heart healthy oil that can actually lower cholesterol. Using it in moderation is a given either way. Lower calories does not always equal better for you.

Originally Posted by feministmama View Post
And how does adding oil to butter make it healthier
Not just any oil. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats and is actually good for your heart. If you spread the same amount of butter vs butter/olive oil on your toast, the butter/olive oil has 50% less saturated fat. Plus a daily dose of olive oil can actually reduce your chances of developing heart disease.

Source

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
Krystal (04-18-2008)
Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #13
Krystal
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Yeah, all oils have a lot of calories, including the ones they use in margarine. But olive oil is a heart healthy oil that can actually lower cholesterol. Using it in moderation is a given either way. Lower calories does not always equal better for you.

Not just any oil. Olive oil contains monounsaturated fats and is actually good for your heart. If you spread the same amount of butter vs butter/olive oil on your toast, the butter/olive oil has 50% less saturated fat. Plus a daily dose of olive oil can actually reduce your chances of developing heart disease.

Source
That is a really great tip. Can the olive/butter combo be used for baking? I love butter, and always have a stick of it in the fridge for baking...and for my mac n cheese coz it's just SOOO good with butter I don't like to use margarines for baking because I find they don't taste as good and Becel melts too quickly for cookies making them spread and usually burn.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:18 AM   #14
feministmama
Instepping Out

Thanks SIlver and Jan for all the good sources. Now I want some taost with butter/olive oil and a hot chocolate.mmmmmmm
-That's OK, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway....
-I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.
Reading: Barbara Kingsolver
Knitting: socks

I'm Femmy on Ravelry
feministmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
You've made me crave toast now with butter & jelly or honey butter.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #16
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Krystal View Post
That is a really great tip. Can the olive/butter combo be used for baking? I love butter, and always have a stick of it in the fridge for baking...and for my mac n cheese coz it's just SOOO good with butter I don't like to use margarines for baking because I find they don't taste as good and Becel melts too quickly for cookies making them spread and usually burn.
Olive oil has a higher smoke point than butter alone, so it increases the time before it'll burn when used for something like sautéing or greasing a pan for the oven. It will melt faster than cold butter. I use olive oil or the butter/oo mix for most of my cooking though. I don't use it for greasing a baking pan because I just prefer to use a baking spray instead (it's easier). I still use real butter IN a mix like cookie dough, just because I haven't tried the oo mix yet. I usually bake for other people, and I don't wanna mess up my "legendary" sugar cookie recipe.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
Krystal (04-19-2008)
Old 04-19-2008, 03:46 PM   #17
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

I use that Smart Balance stuff, it's a blend of soy, canola and olive oils. You can bake with it, I've made a ton of stuff with it and it cooks up just like butter and has 80 calories per tbsp. It's supposed to have a bunch of Omega 6 and Omega 3 oils which help lower cholesterol. I'm not sure if it's just a marketing ploy but so far I haven't died so I'm guessing it's ok. I just can't force myself to cook with pure butter or use it as a spread. I use canola and olive oils routinely to saute in and use this Smart Balance stuff to bake with and for a spread. http://www.smartbalance.com/
Old 04-19-2008, 04:05 PM   #18
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Kristin's recipe is a take off on the old Laurel's Kitchen recipe for 'better butter'. We've been making it for years. Yes, it's still butter, still at around 100 calories per tablespoon, but you will use so little compared to regular butter or margerine.

All the supposed 'heart healthy' spreads out there are full of chemicals used to make a processed food that is palatable to Americans (the formula's used are different for each country). I'll stick to butter, which is just cream, and virgin olive oil, which are two things that you can buy that are not overprocessed.

Our recipe:

1/2 pound butter (two sticks)
1 cup virgin olive oil (get a flavor you like)
2 teaspoons salt, if you like
1 tablespoon dried milk (for flavor, delete if you wish)
1 teaspoon lecithin granules (for stability)

Whirl together, put in plastic containers. It keeps for quite awhile, but you can't leave it out on the counter, as it will soften and separate.

BTW, we use a lot of butter and oils in our cooking. Neither of us have high cholesterol, even though both of our families have terrible cardiac histories.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
scout52
Working the Gusset

if you want you can always substitute for butter is unsweetened applesauce for butter in your baking. that is what I do. it comes out nice and moist and delicious. no one that i have baked for has even noticed that i have made a low fat baked item. I also use best of the egg for the egg portion. and do the butter/olive oil mix for everything else.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #20
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Quote:
if you want you can always substitute for butter is unsweetened applesauce for butter in your baking.
I no longer use sugar and make baked items with pureed/chopped fruits. The unsweetened applesauce is a very handy and versatile product.

cam