Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM   #21
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by figaro View Post
Mason, I see that you are reconsidering the ferret idea, what about a Maine Coon cat? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Coon

My neighbor has one and the cat is 35 lbs! I do think he is a bit overfed but he was a happy cat while I was there. According to the Wiki, they are dog like in a cat sort of way! This will be the next cat I get, a great bit easy going fluffball.
I really don't think I can do a cat again after what happened to my last one. Just too much in the way of bad memory.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:51 AM   #22
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Yes Mason you can train a little dog to a litter box. They have a special litter box pellets that you put into the box. I think it is made of out of paper it is safer for the dog. Not any more expensive that cat litter. So if you do decide to get a little dog you won't have to take them out to be walk as often. So keep that in mind about a little dog. I also am biased on little dogs I have a mini Dachshund which are a lot of fun.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerbread For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (04-21-2008)
Old 04-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #23
Eccie
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Eccie Send a message via AIM to Eccie Send a message via MSN to Eccie Send a message via Yahoo to Eccie
Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
How about a chimp or orangatan (spelling?)? Just kidding. Wasn't there a TV show back in the 70's or 80's that had a trucker with one of these? Just think too if it could work on your knitting when you couldn't. Think of all the projects you could get finished.
My father still calls me Clyde because of that ape :P

EccentricScrpn at Ravelry

My blog
'I would be more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her serenity. - EB White'
Eccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
cdjack
Turning the Heel

How about a hedgehog? They make great pets.... and they can be litter box trained. Very cute and quite smart.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cdjack For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #25
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
if you decided on a Maine Coon cat, i could help you find one here.
LOL
just kidding, when my daughter had ferrets, the one and ON<LY time I ever got bit was when I was playing with them on the 3rd floor, and one climbed up my back, and got under the edge of my Shirt and found a little chunk of kibble attached to my back (it was actually a MOLE)

Instant Squeeky toy (ow, ow, ow, STOP, OW!!!)
that ferret tried to climb my ack every time she came around me after that.

Also, if you wanted to get a ferret, find a rescue agency, yes it will be older, but it will also be litter trained. and they can tell you the temperament of your critter. Heck same with a dog, they have breed specific rescue agencies.

JMHO

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ecb For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #26
Wanda Witch
Turning the Heel

Only puppies need to be exercised often. An older dog, one that is housebroken, probably needs to go 'out' only a couple of times during the day, before bed and first thing in the a.m. I did not know you could litter-box train a small dog either. That would be ideal. What company a cutie canine would be. Good luck in your decision.
Wanda Witch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wanda Witch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #27
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Some folks litter train the very tiniest chihuahuas and I knew someone once who trained her shih-tzu. I don't have a cat because of litter boxes and I'm not getting one for my dog but there are times when it just makes good sense.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cynamar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #28
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Litterboxes are actually very clean. I clean mine every other day by emptying it and washing it out with a bit of soap and it never smells. I use a a litter called "Yesterday's News" made of old newspapers. It's more environmentally friendly and it absorbs all the odors. Maybe it's the same one that gingerbread was talking about?
You could always train the dog to use the toilet- then it can just go when you do!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:37 AM   #29
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

My vote is for a dog or a couple of rats. Either way look into adoption! I bet you could find a pre-litterbox trained dog up for adoption, or a small dog that needs less excercise and has been housebroken so it doesn't have to go out as often as a puppy.
What about a rabbit? I believe they too can be litterbox trained (mine lived in her hutch so it was never an issue). They are quite clean (though they do shed... but so do cats and dogs) and my mini-lop was very sweet (my brother's first rex was sweet, too, though his second was a terror). They don't necessarily walk on a leash like a dog, but you can put a harness on one so it can wander around and not get away. Just choose carefully if you get a rabbit, as (like dogs and cats) they run the gamot from sweet to psychotic and you should get one that is laid back unless you want to spend hours chasing it (my brother's terror, Imp, could get out of his cage, and my dad spent many hours - often at the least opportune moment - chasing it through the neighborhood).
Just another option.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jess_hawk For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Sharly
Turning the Heel

I don't have any insight to share, but wouldn't a rodent be prone to chew wires? That could be problematic!

I've seen Chis that were litter box trained. And, as an added bonus with a dog, you get a little security system/companion in one. I know you can certainly take care of yourself, but if you were snoozing and someone was messing around with your truck, a little dog could alert you.

Of course, you would have to name it Brutus, or Killer, or something really macho!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharly For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (04-22-2008)