Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
jdee
Working the Gusset

When Knitting becomes dangerous
This is so funny because I'd have never thought I could actually hurt myself while knitting. I was knitting on some socks, and you know how small the needles are, and those tiny stitches, that we do NOT want to drop. Well, I tend to hold onto sock needles rather tightly. Anyway, I was working on some socks, and I put my knitting to the side for a little rest. When I stretched out my hands, I noticed red marks on my palm, where my fingernails had dug into my hands. Wow! I had to cut my fingernails back, so sock knitting could be safe.
I noticed the other day a thread were someone had a bad sunburn from knitting outside, and I also think I remember a thread about someone who actually sat down on a knitting needle. So I guess knitting injuries must be pretty common.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
There's gotta be some good stories here!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #3
iza
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by jdee View Post
I noticed red marks on my palm, where my fingernails had dug into my hands. Wow! I had to cut my fingernails back, so sock knitting could be safe.
Yes, it happens to me too! I can not have long fingernails for that reason.

I almost sat on my needles once. That teaches you to put your needles away when you don't use them! And I almost killed my boyfriend when for some reason one of my needles flew in his direction. I have no idea to this day how that happened. I guess I practice an extreme variant of knitting. Or maybe I'm just very clumsy.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I have actually become quite good at managing those teeny dpn's, but DH is still afraid of them, especially when sitting next to me watching tv and he wants to change the channell. I tell him I have small very pointy sticks and still can't quite manage them. He backs off
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
evona
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by iza View Post
. . . And I almost killed my boyfriend when for some reason one of my needles flew in his direction. I have no idea to this day how that happened. I guess I practice an extreme variant of knitting. Or maybe I'm just very clumsy.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I have sat one two of my needles. The little one put a scratch on my bum but the big one put a hole in my pants and BRUISED my bum. I tend to throw myself onto chairs/couches rather than sitting down nicely - my mom always said I would hurt myself one day.
I've also rubbed the skin off my fingers knitting too tight and using the tips of my fingers to help move yarn from needle to needle.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I feel like such a beginner! I have a calous on my left pointer finger from pushing sharp needles but haven't had any danger!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I have sat on the dpn's and I tell ya that hurts. I bent the darn needle. It was the options metal one. I was not a happy camper. I did get to straighten it out though. I have put the cable needle into my finger now that was sore for a while. Had to make sure that I didn't get any blood on what I was working on.

Other than that I do pretty well my dh won't let me use the dpn's in the car. He thinks I will hurt him instead of me.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry

Last edited by gingerbread : 04-22-2008 at 10:38 AM.
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I have done the whole fingernails into my palm thing, otherwise I haven't hurt anyone. The DBF's mom is always so concerned when I am knitting with DPNs though, especially when the DBF leans over to give me a kiss- she thinks I'm going to poke his eye out!

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

There was a thread a while back about how you can wear off your fingerprints from knitting. I didn't know that was possible! I don't guess that is 'dangerous', but it is interesting.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote