Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
Black pinky finger!!!!
I was wondering has anyone get that from there gold rings . I get it from eating to many tomatoes but this time I finally figured out what caused it this time, I was eating salsa. I love eating it with potato chips, I just eat and eat them. Well I have stopped eating so much of it. I am now on a diet to lose some weight.
I guess it is the acid that does the black finger thing that I get.
So was just wondering if it is just me or does anyone else gets it . In fact I just looked down at my fingers and yup got to rub of the black off of them again.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry

Last edited by gingerbread : 04-23-2008 at 08:01 AM.
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #2
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I do get the "black finger" from a ring every so often, but it isn't caused by food products. Although my finger doesn't get black from my wedding and engagement rings, I have a ring on my right ring finger that will sometimes cause my finger to get black. I wear this ring everyday, but only occasionally will the finger get black.

I also can't wear battery powered watches because I kill them. Seriously. Some electrical thing in my system kills the watches. A winding watch is okay, but nothing with a battery. I haven't worn a watch in years because of it. And it's not just a question of the batteries going dead. I actually wreck the housing and destroy the watch. A new battery would not fix it.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
gingerbread (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #3
Mike
Working the Gusset

I get both thumbs, both index fingers and my middle finger black from gold, but of course I'm using a polishing machine to achieve that.

It could be the acid in or on your skin, especially if it's a lower karat gold, but I would lean towards something on your skin polishing the metal.
Are you using hand lotion or could you be getting some make up that has talc in it on your fingers?

People who "jinx" watches is why I never got into watchmaking even though I have the training and was very good at it.
I pick up a watch and it works without doing anything to it, couple that with someone who picks it up and breaks it and it would be an impossible job.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
gingerbread (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #4
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

Yep, I get black from lower karat gold rings, but only, ONLY when I'm in my fertile time of month, so for me, it's skin changes that are hormonal that cause it (high estrogen time of cycle).

I also have a friend who ruins not only watches, but analog battery powered wall clocks too, if she sits too near them (like in her office) but it takes a few weeks.

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

[/QUOTE I also have a friend who ruins not only watches, but analog battery powered wall clocks too, if she sits too near them (like in her office) but it takes a few weeks.[/quote]

WOW! I'm not that bad. At least I don't think so. Although, once my sister had a computer monitor that looked awful (all wonky and green) and I sat by it, put my hands on it for a few minutes, and it went right back to normal and stayed that way until they upgraded their computer a few years later. WEIRD?!?!?
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

WOW - I've had a lot of allergic reactions in my life - infected ears from wearing gold studs.....blistered and nasty wrist from a plastic watch band........swollen finger from cheap gold ring......but never have I broken a watch from wearing it or gotten a black finger from eating salsa !! You guys ROCK !
Just as aside - salsa is not bad for you and when I am cutting back (like now when my ankle is broken and I cannot run or workout) I often put it on salad to give it a little kick instead of dressing.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
Salsa is very good for you. It's the chips you need to cut. I eat salsa on baked potatoes and mixed in cottage cheese.

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:00 AM   #8
gingerbread
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to gingerbread Send a message via Skype™ to gingerbread
I just seem to have it if I eat anything with tomatoes. Weird. My sister was so bad that my grandfather planted low acid tomatoes. That was way before I was born. But we all have the same thing the black fingers. Oh well I didn't think anyone else had it . Now I don't feel so alone and weird.
Ya I also kill watches. Put it on and the watch dies. Plus I can't wear anything cheap I break out like crazy. I did find a watch I could wear at Payless.
The watch is on a cuff bracelet. Neat the cuff is a hard like material which the watch sits on, and it is copper color. Just love it cuz I can't kill it.

Teri

I am memere on Ravelry
gingerbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM   #9
msmelody
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to msmelody
I kill watches too. My dad was the coolest. He could walk into a dusty room, and stand perfectly still and within 10 minutes every particle of dust in the room was on him. A film crew filmed it once, and they thought the house was haunted. Mom loved it, because she "let" him do the dusting.

I am msmelody on Ravelry.

Water4gas is my new pursuit.
msmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
blueeyes28
Turning the Heel

I have never heard of such things it is very interesting.
blueeyes28 is offline   Reply With Quote