Old 04-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Reactions to your knitted gifts...
My husband is down visiting his mom- she has stage 4 lung cancer and she's the one I knitted the prayer shawl for.

He just told me she wore it to chemo yesterday and has worn it every day- that she just loves the colors and thinks it is so sweet and warm because she is cold all the time.

I am over the moon happy! Since it was the first thing I gave away as a present I was so nervous that she wouldn't like it or think it was any good or something...

Tell me about great gifts you have really worked hard on, and the recipient liked them... What are you most proud of that you knitted for someone?

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
princessbonniejane
1st Leg of the Journey

that is so pretty. I'm glad she loves it. I like the colors too. Good job on your first present.
princessbonniejane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbonniejane For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (05-09-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM   #3
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
i made a weasley sweater for my 7 year old... he wore it to school (his choice) almost every day during the winter AND he wore it during his spring pictures (his choice). Whenever he's chilly or cold he digs it out and puts it on (i have to sneak in his room and grab it when he's sleeping just to wash it he loves it so much!)
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Jaxhil
Working the Gusset

That really is pretty, I am sure she feels *hugged* every time she wears it!

I made a headband (braided cables, with DB Cashmerino, red) and my Mom LOVES it. She wears it a LOT. Well when it was cold anyway, lol. I also sew, and I give sewn gifts a lot. Usually pajama pants, they go over like gangbusters, too. It feels so good when you know you can make someone happy and feel comfy in something you made for them, doesn't it?

The thing I'm most proud of is a sweater I made for my DSon Michael (he's 9) that came out gorgeous and he actually LIKES it and fits him perfectly! Needless to say, I'm thrilled silly

You really did a good job on the shawl-its such a pretty color, too!
Simply_Renee (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by LilHuskiesFootBallMom View Post
i made a weasley sweater for my 7 year old... he wore it to school (his choice) almost every day during the winter AND he wore it during his spring pictures (his choice). Whenever he's chilly or cold he digs it out and puts it on (i have to sneak in his room and grab it when he's sleeping just to wash it he loves it so much!)
YES! It's especially fabulous when one of your kids appreciates what you made for them!

I am trying to picture what a weasley sweater might look like...

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom

The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
Simply_Renee (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

A HA! I was picturing a knitted weasel, don't laugh @ me!

What a cool sweater, and your son is a cutie pie!

The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
LilHuskiesFootBallMom (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jaxhil View Post
That really is pretty, I am sure she feels *hugged* every time she wears it!

I made a headband (braided cables, with DB Cashmerino, red) and my Mom LOVES it. She wears it a LOT. Well when it was cold anyway, lol. I also sew, and I give sewn gifts a lot. Usually pajama pants, they go over like gangbusters, too. It feels so good when you know you can make someone happy and feel comfy in something you made for them, doesn't it?

The thing I'm most proud of is a sweater I made for my DSon Michael (he's 9) that came out gorgeous and he actually LIKES it and fits him perfectly! Needless to say, I'm thrilled silly

You really did a good job on the shawl-its such a pretty color, too!
Awesome! I haven't made anything fitted yet- I wish my mom wanted a headband but she has chosen a long jacket that will only take 11 balls of yarn I can't afford...

My son is 5- maybe I should try a sweater for him while he is still small! :-)

Old 04-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

Beautiful prayer shawl. What a wonderful way to say "I love you" on a daily basis.

I made a shawl for my mother-in-law when I was first starting to knit. It was VERY time consuming, but she adored it. That made me feel good.

I make socks all the time for everyone and they ALWAYS love them.

This past Christmas money was tight so I decided to FINALLY knit the afghan I'd been meaning to make (I bought the yarn eons ago) and give it to my best friend for Christmas. It didn't take me very long to make it, but she was over-the-moon happy about it. Everyone in the family loves that afghan and goes right for it to curl up for a nice snuggle. I was so pleased about that because you never really know how someone is going to react to a homemade gift.

But, most of all, when my mom went through chemo I knitted her a bunch of chemo caps that she loved. Since everyone made such a fuss over them at the oncology center I made a huge bunch of them and donated them. Apparently, they were all snatched up the same day they were delivered. Then I made some for my best friend's mom when she was going through chemo. Again, she had people stopping her in stores to compliment her on her hat. It made me feel really good when I found out she was responding "My daughter's friend made them for me." They were so simple to do but brought such joy and comfort to all these people that there has been no better feeling.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #10
knitgal
Working the Gusset

What a wonderful gift to give your MIL. I'm sure it makes her feel very loved and more comfortable given her illness.

I made a throw for the DBF's grandma for Christimas last year. I worked very hard on it and I think it may have been her favourite gift. The look on her face was just priceless when she opened it. Now everytime I see her, she tells me how it matches her living room perfectly and how much she loves it.
Isn't knitting for others SO rewarding?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post: