Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
bambi
Working the Gusset
 
bambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 368
Thanked 640 Times in 585 Posts
What went wrong?
I had this discussion with Jan and a few others. I knitted the Bernat Bamboo top and the fabric has no memory. It looks horrible! I probably knitted it too big and should have used smaller needles for denser fabric.

When I mattress stitched the sides, it created a ridge. I even went to the video and knitting alongside to make sure I was doing it right.

Can I seam it in again, hiding the side seams? What can I do to correct the V neck? It ended up being much lower after blocking and draping occured.



Bambi
Attached Images:
 
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
ArtLady1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, Washington
Posts: 10,448
Thanks: 5,264
Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Originally Posted by bambi View Post
I had this discussion with Jan and a few others. I knitted the Bernat Bamboo top and the fabric has no memory. It looks horrible! I probably knitted it too big and should have used smaller needles for denser fabric.

When I mattress stitched the sides, it created a ridge. I even went to the video and knitting alongside to make sure I was doing it right.

Can I seam it in again, hiding the side seams? What can I do to correct the V neck? It ended up being much lower after blocking and draping occured.



Bambi
Hi Bambi!

Mattress seaming is worked with the RIGHT SIDES facing you as you lace back and forth. Then, when you 'cinch up' the laces...the ridges (selvedge edges) end up on the INSIDE (wrong side).

This is what a mattress seam should look like:

Where that grey DMC Perle Cotton thread is popping
out is where I left off seaming to take the photo. For
mattress seaming, you 'lace up' a ways, then 'cinch up' those,
then 'lace up' some more, then cinch up, etc.

Right sides facing up:


This is the DMC Perle Cotton (gauge 5) that I use to mattress seam. It is strong, slick, easy to see, and cinches up without
breaking. When the seam is all cinched up...it is invisible, too.
If you did seam with the RIGHT SIDE facing up...maybe you will have
better results with a different seaming thread. I dunno.
__________________
Knitting Help Video Index

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
bambi (04-30-2008), GinnyG (05-01-2008), Knit4Pie (05-01-2008), Simply_Renee (05-02-2008)
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe
 
MerigoldinWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,143
Thanks: 1,177
Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Wear a camisole under it. They are in! Looks good in the tiny picture.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
bambi (04-30-2008)
Old 04-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
bambi
Working the Gusset
 
bambi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Basel, Switzerland
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 368
Thanked 640 Times in 585 Posts
Maybe I will try a different seaming thread next time I make something. I might unseam it and re seam it using different thread. I will have to wear something under it but I might also try doing a picot edging around the neckline that will take up some space. Unfortunately, I'm out of the bamboo yarn and don't want to get more b/c I didn't care for working it.

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 27,765
Thanks: 160
Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Truthfully, when I make something that's too big or too small, I just re-knit it. It takes about the same amount of time and much less anguish as trying to get it right after the fact.
__________________
sue- knitting heretic

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
Jan in CA
Moderator
Mod Squad
 
Jan in CA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 36,962
Thanks: 1,636
Thanked 8,642 Times in 7,044 Posts
It's pretty hard to tell from that tiny photo. You can make them up to 800x600 if necessary for clarity.
__________________
Jan

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
bambi (05-01-2008)
Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out
 
Debkcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salem, OR
Posts: 2,919
Thanks: 384
Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
(((((((Bambi)))))))

I did the same thing with a sweater for my DGD. The neck came out very, very wrong. It was my first knitted project, and I was very disappointed.

If you're happy with all the other components of the sweater, arm length, body length, ect., then knit or crochet in the v-neck. Otherwise, I agree with Sue, frog it and go on. Your LYS may be able to help you out some.
__________________
I LOVE THIS SITE!

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock
 
dustinac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Mountaineer knitter in Buckeye country
Posts: 9,817
Thanks: 2,489
Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm sorry you don't like it...it looks good from the picture...I agree though if your not happy with it then frog it...I did this with my first sweater...had the ends weaved in and tried it on...so excited and blahhh...had to frog it
__________________


A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
cheley
Working the Gusset
 
cheley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 354
Thanked 187 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 View Post
Hi Bambi!

Mattress seaming is worked with the RIGHT SIDES facing you as you lace back and forth. Then, when you 'cinch up' the laces...the ridges (selvedge edges) end up on the INSIDE (wrong side).

This is what a mattress seam should look like:

Where that grey DMC Perle Cotton thread is popping
out is where I left off seaming to take the photo. For
mattress seaming, you 'lace up' a ways, then 'cinch up' those,
then 'lace up' some more, then cinch up, etc.

Right sides facing up:


This is the DMC Perle Cotton (gauge 5) that I use to mattress seam. It is strong, slick, easy to see, and cinches up without
breaking. When the seam is all cinched up...it is invisible, too.
If you did seam with the RIGHT SIDE facing up...maybe you will have
better results with a different seaming thread. I dunno.
Wow..great Mat Stitch...I HATE DOING THAT, everything usually looks WONKY when I am finished....but, I never thought to use anything but the yarn I used in the project.....Do you always use DMC to seam up??? That's an awesome thing Do you "use" all of the strands?? Thanks
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel
 
Knit4Pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Farnham, Canada
Posts: 781
Thanks: 282
Thanked 220 Times in 208 Posts
Originally Posted by cheley View Post
Wow..great Mat Stitch...I HATE DOING THAT, everything usually looks WONKY when I am finished....but, I never thought to use anything but the yarn I used in the project.....Do you always use DMC to seam up??? That's an awesome thing Do you "use" all of the strands?? Thanks
I've never thought to use anything but the yarn used either. Great idea...don't know why I never thought of it. It's just not fair...LOL
__________________
Wenda
"Be afraid of bears, of bungee-jumping, of faulty wiring in old houses, but never, ever be afraid of trying something in knitting." Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, Knitting Rules

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My purl stitches are appearing on the wrong side, what am I doing wrong??? daggit General Knitting 2 03-07-2012 12:13 AM
Hmm..is my math wrong or the pattern's math wrong? Loopdeloop How-to Questions 3 10-25-2010 06:18 PM
What am I doing wrong? AprilBxoxo How-to Questions 1 10-28-2008 09:44 PM
I think I did it wrong... poeticlicense1660 How-to Questions 3 09-22-2008 01:55 PM
What am I doing wrong??? sarahbean Crochet! 10 08-20-2008 03:25 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.