Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
Alyce
1st Leg of the Journey

Help! How do I knit the sleeves onto the sweater
I was knitting a build a bear sweater for my grandson and when I came to the part about adding the sleeves to the body of the sweater I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Here is the link and I would appreciate any help you could give me.
Oops, I forgot to add the link:
http://www.kidsknits.com/free/monkster.htm
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
Alyce,

You have 32 stitches on each sleeve and 80 on the body. Your instructions are: (my comments are underlined) Yoke: Place marker. Get ready like you were going to knit another round on the body stitches, but you are going to add a sleeve on here. The first thing they say is to place a marker. The next sts will be from a sleeve. Get one of your sleeves. You will need to have the stitches on dpns so you can work the stitches of the sleeve onto the needle with the body stitches Adding these sleeve sts to the same needle just used to finish the last rd on body, Bring the sleeve up so that you can begin working the stitches off of one of the sleeve needles, do what it says next. K 1, SSK, This is your first decrease and this will put it right at the beginning of the sleeve you are joining K next 13 sleeve sts, So you used the first 3 stitches of the sleeve to do the decrease, then knit the next 13 sleeve stitcheschange to next needle Use a free needle to begin the next 13 sleeve stitches and K next 13 sleeve sts, K2tog, K1, These will be the last of the 32 sleeve stitches and you use them for this second decrease then place a marker place marker, continuing with front body sts Now you work the first half of the body stitches beginning with another decrease, K1, SSK, K 17 sts, change to next needle Add a new needle here, still doing body sts, K 17 sts, K2tog, K1, When you have done the decreases at each side of the body stitches and worked the 17+ 17 you will have 40 of the body stitches done, place marker, now onto the next sleeve Here you are going to bring the other sleeve you have made up so that you can begin working on the sleeve stitches. You will want the stitches of the sleeve on dpns., K 1, SSK, Work this decrease with stitches from the second sleeve and then go on to the next 13 as it saysK next 13 sleeve sts, change to next needle Add a new needle to facilitate working in the round and K next 13 sts of sleeve, K2tog, K1, When you have done this last decrease with sleeve stitches you are through with all the sleeve stitches and will start working over the second half of the body stitches next place marker, continuing with back body sts, K1, SSK, K 17 sts, change to next needle and still working back body, K 17 sts, K2tog, K1, end of rd. 136 sts rem. You will have knitted the stitches from one sleeve, half the body, the second sleeve and the rest of the body. You have also made a decrease at each side of where you placed markers for a total of 8 decreases. You had 32+32+80=144 stitches when you began to join the sleeves to the the body to form the yoke. Over this round you decreased 8 so you have 136 left. I think the next instructions are to continue to do the same type of decreased on each side of the markers for a given number of rounds.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MerigoldinWA For This Useful Post:
Alyce (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Alyce
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow, those are fabulous instructions. I think I've got it. Thank you so much for taking time to explain it to me.
Alyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
You're welcome. I hope it doesn't just sound good, but works for you.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote