Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
evona
Working the Gusset

I am soooooo mad!!!!!!!!!!
I just have to vent!

My poor DD just called me in hysterics! This is the first year she's been away from home and in her loneliness she dated the wrong boy she finally broke it off with him, but she still was very sad and liked him a lot so I think she tried to keep in touch. Well, he started harassing her through e-mail. By the way she sounded when she called today (it was hard to make sense between sobs) he was being threatening so I told her to send me the e-mail so I can have some tangible evidence should (God forbid) anything happen.

Well the e-mail wasn't physically threatening, but the names he called her were so awful. It went on and on and on and I couldn't even imagine a person could be so cruel!!!!!!!!! Every horrible name you could imagine a person calling a woman - or any living thing was invoked several times in bold and 16 pt font. I am fuming. I wish I could just reach through the computer and ring his filthy neck!!!!!!!!!!

I told her to never put up with someone using such language on her for ANY reason and convinced her to get a restraining order. I really do hope she follows through. I just wish there was something more I could do. I want to tell her to come straight home, but she has to finish this semester. Its so hard to be a mom and wait in the wings sometimes!

evona is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #2
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts

Some people have no class. Sorry for what she's going through, and the worry you're going through as a result.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

Does she live on campus? If I were you, I would contact the school and talk to them about this, they may not be able to actually do something but they may be able to talk to the boy and let him know what he did was unacceptable and that he should not contact her anymore or something like that. This boy may have had problems in the past maybe? I know it is hard to try and let her do this on her own (the restraining order part) but you may be able to help her long distance in someway?

Good luck!

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to figaro For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Unfortunately, a lot of young girls in college seem to go thru this, I think because they are dating guys that even though are their same age are emotionally immature and don't know how to deal with rejection. It reminds me of grade school when I was the nerd and everyone refused to sit by me.
I am sure that a restraining order is going to give the boy the idea, and I praise you for being proactive. No one needs to listen to demeaning language. Unfortunately, without a direct threat, I don't think the police can do much.
But you can certainly encourage your daughter to learn from the experience. For one, listen to instincts, when it isn't right break it off and don't drag it out. Also, stand up for herself. She can block him from her email and phone and tell him she is calling the police if he ever does that again.
It sounds like you are doing a great job as a long distance mom, and even though she is having a hard time, and the situation sucks, the bright side is that she reached out to you for encouragement and insight, so you are doing something right!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mulderknitter For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
iza
Turning the Heel

I don't know if she'll be able to get a restraining order, but it's a good idea to try. For sure this boy needs to understand right now that this kind of behavior is not acceptable. If he was really a man, he would deal with this differently.

I'm sure there are counseling services on campus. Maybe it would be a good idea for her to get some advice. I'm sure they could help her deal with him if she has to, and deal with the situation on a personal level. The situation would also be monitored by an independent professional, which is also good. A professional opinion can help a lot to convince a judge.

The Following User Says Thank You to iza For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
Why do great girls go for these losers? Tell her she is so much better than that and she needs to find someone worthy of her. My niece dated this guy that treated her so bad and I kept telling her that she deserved much better. Well, she finally met her prince charming and now she knows how a man should treat a woman. She is so happy and he treats her with respect. Please tell your daughter that there is a great guy out there for her and stop putting up with these losers.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puddinpop For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Dangles
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Dangles Send a message via Yahoo to Dangles
I agree with Auburnchick.

I'm sorry to hear this situation your DD is going through.

Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dangles For This Useful Post:
evona (04-23-2008)
Old 04-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #8
evona
Working the Gusset

Thank you all for your support an advice. I just called her to see how she's doing. She is doing better and is spending the night at a friends for tonight. I told her I thought that was a good idea.

I have tried to stress mutual respect in all relationships upon my children so I hope this is a real life lesson quickly learned.

Puddinpop, I'm so happy that your niece has a great man in her life.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #9
cftwo
Working the Gusset

Do have her bring this up with college officials, particularly if he's also a student there. They need to keep on top of these things, and it's a good idea for them to build a file on him just in case it happens again. I'd start with the student affairs office.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cftwo For This Useful Post:
evona (04-24-2008)
Old 04-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustinac For This Useful Post:
evona (04-24-2008)