Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Questions from a newbie!
Hello everyone. I just have a few questions. I have been practicing knitting with just one skein of yarn that I got from Joannes. I know that it will take time for me to get the tension down so that my gauge will be equal, but whenever I get to the end of my row, the last stich is always HUGE and my side edges look deformed. How can I keep my end stiches from being bigger than the rest of the object?

I am also curious about the differences in yarn weight. I have always known about worsted weight, but now I am seeing that there are a TON more types of weights. What is the difference and why would you use one yarn as opposed to another? TIA for your advice. I'm sure I'll be back with a ton more questions.
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
The loose end stitch is very common. You can slip the first stitch without knitting it for a smoother edge, or just make sure that you knit the first and second stitch on the next row tightly so that the loose one from the previous row kind of wraps around the needle and tightens up.

Yarn weight has to do with the thickness of the yarn. Worsted is the most common, but there are some that are very thin that you might use for socks or traditional Fair Isle sweaters, and there are thick, bulky yarns for quick knits.

There are a gazillion patterns out there, and there are a gazillion yarns to go with them. You'll get to know them.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
letsknit (04-25-2008)
Old 04-25-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
cam90066
Working the Gusset

When you're knitting you're creating fabric. Look at pieces of apparel you own. Heavy denim works for your jeans but you wouldn't want the tee you wear with them made from the same fabric. A winter coat functions well made most likely from a sturdy wool but you wouldn't make a baby's pajamas with it.

Every yarn has its own properties and uniqueness...color, wash/dry (care) features, drape, lustre, stitch definition, softness, durability, etc. There are pros/cons to using certain yarns for certain projects. It's always unfortunate when an item looks great but the yarn used wasn't intended for this purpose. (For ex: a baby sweater in 'hand wash, cold, lay flat to dry' yarn that a busy mom put in a hot washer/dryer and now fits a Barbie doll.)

cam
letsknit (04-25-2008)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by cam90066 View Post
When you're knitting you're creating fabric. Look at pieces of apparel you own. Heavy denim works for your jeans but you wouldn't want the tee you wear with them made from the same fabric. A winter coat functions well made most likely from a sturdy wool but you wouldn't make a baby's pajamas with it.

Every yarn has its own properties and uniqueness...color, wash/dry (care) features, drape, lustre, stitch definition, softness, durability, etc. There are pros/cons to using certain yarns for certain projects. It's always unfortunate when an item looks great but the yarn used wasn't intended for this purpose. (For ex: a baby sweater in 'hand wash, cold, lay flat to dry' yarn that a busy mom put in a hot washer/dryer and now fits a Barbie doll.)

cam
That was a great explaination and it makes perfect sense! I didn't even realize that was the difference. I always thought yarn was yarn. I can see that I am in trouble...I see an addiction forming...
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Here's some links to help you with the various weights and constructions of yarn.
http://www.yarnfwd.com/tension.html
http://www.yarndex.com/
http://www.knitty.com/issuefall05/FEATwhyply.html
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATwin03TBP.html
http://knittingcrochet.suite101.com/...cfm/yarnweight
letsknit (04-25-2008)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

My edges were horrible at first but the one thing that completely turned it around was by tugging the yarn before I put it around the needle. Especially the first and last stitch. That will clean up your edges.Also, The first stitch will always be loose.

Heather
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Actually, it kind of works better to make the first stitch, then pull on the yarn. It takes up the extra yarn in both the first st as well as the last one below it.

Last edited by suzeeq : 04-25-2008 at 02:16 PM.
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #8
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

Sue that just what I was going to say to do.

And here is another site that will help with yarn weights....

http://www.yarnstandards.com/weight.html

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
As Ingrid suggests, I always knit the first two stitches tighter and that makes for a nice even edge.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
selinechan
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to selinechan
Originally Posted by letsknit View Post
Hello everyone. I just have a few questions. I have been practicing knitting with just one skein of yarn that I got from Joannes. I know that it will take time for me to get the tension down so that my gauge will be equal, but whenever I get to the end of my row, the last stich is always HUGE and my side edges look deformed. How can I keep my end stiches from being bigger than the rest of the object?

I am also curious about the differences in yarn weight. I have always known about worsted weight, but now I am seeing that there are a TON more types of weights. What is the difference and why would you use one yarn as opposed to another? TIA for your advice. I'm sure I'll be back with a ton more questions.
After I learnt to slip the first stitch without knitting, my edges have become far prettier. Isn't knitting a wonderful addiction? :D
selinechan is offline   Reply With Quote