Old 09-24-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Knitted Conversations
I'm checked into a hotel again tonight. Still feeling a bit ragged from too much sun. I wandered into the hotel lounge around 5:00 to have a beer or two. Of course I took my knitting with me as hotel lounges tend to be a bit slow and boring.

The bartender was an older lady who took interest in my knitting and who happens to knit herself. She complimented my work and we chatted about such things for a little while until the locals began filtering in from their fields. The locals here in this little Iowa town are mostly farmers.

Most of the guys who wandered in for a drink were older guys and were all farmers. I sat drinking my beer and quietly knitting. One gentleman of around 70 I'd guess commented on what I was doing and the bartender told him that I do very good knitting work. He checked out the scarf I'm working on and said that he was quite impressed with it. He then began telling about how he knit all of his own socks as a kid but hadn't picked up the needles in years. He seemed genuinely nostalgic about it.

A few of the farmers there came over to inspect my work and to make their own comments about it. Every single one of them seemed quite comfortable with the fact that this big ugly tattooed truck driver was sitting in their bar knitting a scarf. I actually had a pretty good time talking with them although we had very little in common as my world revolves around traveling the country and their's revolves around bringing in the crops.

I really liked them as they're down to earth people without the slightest hint of pretense and all had a great sense of humor. It seemed that each one had some sort of knitting related story, either personal or a family member, that they were more than happy to share.

It's amazing to me how something as simple as a couple of sticks and some string can create a common ground upon which to base some friendly and interesting conversation. I suspect that had I not been working on my knitting I would have spent my brief time there just sipping my beer and watching the idiot box instead of engaging in some lively human interaction.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Denise in Michigan (09-25-2007)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Rorshach
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Rorshach Send a message via Yahoo to Rorshach
I've often come to the same conclusion. But then I've always had a knack of finding something in common with just about everybody.

Wisdom is knowing what to do. Skill is how to do it. Virtue is getting it done.

That which does not kill you, isn't trying hard enough.
Rorshach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rorshach For This Useful Post:
Knitting_Guy (09-25-2007)
Old 09-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I actually attracted conversation in the dr's office during dh's colonoscopy on Friday.
Not for him, but the fact that the waiting area was small, and I was really set up with my MP3 and my knitting. Hey, I had the chance to plan and pack accordingly!
A lady and her adult daughter were the only two people in there at first in the early am, but finally after I talked to dh's nurse, and left my earphones out, the mom said she was waiting for a while to ask me what I was making. I'm working on the lion baby bottle snuggly for my soon to be niece and the loopy mane area was giving her fits to try to figure out what I was doing. Funny, I can pretty much figure that someone is watching me and will finally have to ask me a question. I think it's sort of cute. I've knit at and oil change too and the guys are all fascinated.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
DianaM
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to DianaM Send a message via MSN to DianaM
That's really cool ^^
Mason, have you ever considered doing a podcast? Combine trucking, knitting and your adventures in both. It would be very interesting ^_^
Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 AM   #5
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Originally Posted by HanAku View Post
That's really cool ^^
Mason, have you ever considered doing a podcast? Combine trucking, knitting and your adventures in both. It would be very interesting ^_^

Nobody would want to listen to me ramble on in my heavy southern accent

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
debinoz
Turning the Heel

I think you have a really nice voice, Mason! I loved that little video you did a while back.

The only knitting conversation I get is from DH and is only one line... "What in the hell are you making now?"
Old 09-25-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
Denise in Michigan
Turning the Heel

Thanks, Mason! I find this really affirming.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Originally Posted by debinoz View Post
The only knitting conversation I get is from DH and is only one line... "What in the hell are you making now?"

I love your stories about the conversations you have in bars/restaurants etc, Mason. With all the stories we hear about what is going on in the world, these simple conversations with nice people kind of restore one's faith in humanity.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's actually a lot more nice people out there than nasty ones. It's just that nasty ones do outrageous things that make the news more often.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #10
suziehomemaker
Turning the Heel

I was in O'Hare about a month ago and just knitting away in my own world after 2 days of business meetings. A Mennonite family came over and sat down near me. There were 7 boys all under the age of maybe 10 at the oldest. The 3 middle boys came right over to me and wanted to see what I was making. I instantly had friends!

Most of the people just stared at the family - actually it was very rude - I think because of the way they were dressed. Their mother and I chatted about crafts for a while and was impressed that I spin too. The boys just loved watching me knit.

We come from very different backgrounds but knitting unites us all!

Blog & Pictures: http://motherhenknits.blogspot.com/
suziehomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suziehomemaker For This Useful Post: