Old 04-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Question about picking up stitches
Hi all,

I am knitting a stuffed dinosaur pattern and part of it asks me to pick up and knit stitches in the middle of a knitted piece. The video on this site and the other websites I found when I googled talked mostly about picking up on edges and emphasized that you should pick up 2 strands at a time so that nothing gets stretched out. However, I can't really figure out what the best thing to do in the middle of a piece is. Do I just pick up and knit one side of the 'V' of a knitted stitch and not worry about grabbing two strands?

The pattern is here: http://www.xtreme-knitting.com/Dinosaurspattern.pdf

The instructions for making the frill are on page 7 of the pattern at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for any help you can give, and I hope this was somewhat understandable.
munchkin928 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
SandraS
Ribbing the Cuff

I don't know if this will be much help cause I think "you have to be there", but when I pick up stitches in socks, I pick up the outside loop nearest to me, then knit into the back of it, creating a twist. It's tight and doesn't look pulled or leave a hole. Maybe just experiment and see what looks the best.
And thanks for sharing the pattern link!
SandraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'd think I'd try to pick up both sides of the V on each stitch, or pick up a right strand of one stitch and the left strand of another.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 PM   #4
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #5
munchkin928
Ribbing the Cuff

Just wanted to update - I ended up picking up just the right side of each V and kitting into that and everythign seems to look fine as far as I can see. I'll post if anything looks weird once I've stuffed the toy. Thanks!