Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Anyone want to come and help me
do the sorting/etc that is necessary for a move to a new location? I have stuff everywhere.. keep being 'diverted' by other things.. and now have all sorts of 'started' projects going on.. and not much of anything really sorted.

However, I did clean out and organize the guest bathroom's medicine cabinet.. like that is really going to make a big difference, right? But, it was at least something that was small enough that I could finish and see some progress.

I have to sort my household goods into: what goes into storage, (it will be shipped to storage in the states- so, it's not like I can get it later if I want it), the items to send with me, the items to be sent in a small shipment (I think it's 100-150 pounds of household/etc items that you'll need immediately.. I put sheets, towels, a few kitchen items, my microwave, more clothing, etc..), items to mail ahead (when I get an address) to myself.. (teaching materials and other things that I'll need when I get there) and which items to put in the suitcase (and did you guys know that they changed the two checked bags at 70 pounds each to 50 pounds each? I noticed that on the ticket last summer when I flew to the states. Normally, it doesn't matter to me-- but, when I'm MOVING .. I need every pound that I'm allowed- since, my household goods won't arrive for about 3-4 months after they are picked up by the movers! )

AND.. what to donate to others, and what to throw away or to give to friends.. (like the food and cleaning supplies that will eventually be left over).. and of course..

WHAT did I start sorting first last week? Why, my yarn, of course! I sorted the yarn to put in these huge cloth bags.. that are so heavy.. that it will take the movers to 'move them' once I get them full.. and OF COURSE, I'll have to decide which yarns to take on the plane for the 25+ hours flight to the states.. then the flight from the states to EUROPE.. because, right now.. there isn't any time for knitting.. sigh.. (when I need it most for stress relief)

SO, who's in? Who wants to fly to Seoul, Korea to help me? I can offer you a couch.. or a guest bed.. but, right now they are holding 'items' pending the sorting process.. ok, the truth is.. stuff is just on them.

Oh, I forgot to mention.. that I have to do all of this after I get off work.. that might be why I have various projects started? However, I'm going to work on it all day/evening today.. (Sunday)
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I swear if I were within driving distance I would come help! moving is no fun especially on your own!
good luck dear, and even though I have no time to reply to your blog I do read it!
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Thank you.. for the offer.. it's nice to know that you would help. I've helped so many people move.. but, somehow that favor has never been returned. AND, moving while working for the US Government.. is a whole other matter.. you have to do way more than 'just move'.. it just adds to what has to be done.

Thanks for reading my blog.. that's nice to know that you do read it.

I hope that I can keep the postings up- it takes 30 minutes or more to do one blog entry. *Of course, it doesn't help that in this 'mess' somewhere is one of my camera memory sticks.. that I took out of my camera (got distracted) and DID NOT PUT IT BACK IN THERE nor is it in the 'normal' place that I would put a memory stick. Sigh..
Well, my 30 minute break is over- time to get back to work.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
sabrinasmom
Knitting the Flap

If I were closer I would help but..... I enjoyed your pictures of Vietnam. My sister-in-law is from there and came to the States for the first time about 6 weeks ago. I see what they were talking about with the mopeds. She has her learners permit to drive a car. Bet that will be a change from driving a moped!!
Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Oh no, watch out! NEW DRIVER!!

And, she will have to learn that she can't just drive where she wants, when she wants! I was so amazed at the people who were going in all different directions at once.. and not on the correct side of the roads either! You can see this happening in some of the photos that I took.. :D
Old 04-27-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I'd gladly do it in a heartbeat but somehow I just don't think I can swim that far.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I know that I couldn't swim that far.. I couldn't even swim across the HAN River.. that I can see out my apartment window much less across an ocean.

But, then again.. you could look at all of my yarn that I've bought 99% of it overseas.. of course, I might have to search all suitcases.. to make sure that none of my 'yarn' wanted to be FOSTER YARN and go live somewhere else.

I just found some SOY YARN at the market Saturday... "Yes, I did buy some."
Old 04-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Are you a civilian employee? As military, we didn't have weight limits, but that was a while back. But I would come and help you pack, it's always more fun at someone else's house.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 AM   #9
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Yes, civilian.. I have a pretty high weight allowance.. but, they include the STUFF already in storage too.. AND, I've purchased some furniture during my time here.. and need to buy a couple more pieces before I leave.. since, GERMANY won't have any closets or storage areas in the apartment/houses for rent.

I agree with you.. it's always more fun to help someone else.. much easier to make decisions.. Easy to tell them.. "Get rid of it!"

Me? But, 'so and so' gave this to me.. (truthfully, THEY are not going to come and see me while I am overseas and I need to realize that they probably won't even remember that THEY gave it to me anyway!) So, it is OK to get rid of some things that you don't really like.. to have more room for the things you do like..

But, no matter.. I still have to sort to decide what items go into which of the 3 different shipments.. much less.. what to mail to myself/etc. IT takes time.. especially being by myself and having to work all day.. no energy left at night to do much of anything.. (which is why I started sorting the yarn)..
Old 04-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
sue in canada
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,270 Posts
I certainly don't envy you packing and sorting. It will be exciting to go to a new place but the actual move itself is no fun. All that wonderful yarn you have bought at the market must be in the top priority packing pile. I presume that a place is found for you to live, do you get any kind of choice?
The recent holiday pictures on your blog are amazing, I look forward to seeing photos from Germany soon. Do you have your actual moving date yet? Good luck with all the preparations.