Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #11
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Moving is a great time to throw out stuff. Every time we've moved, half of my dh's stuff has "mysteriously" disappeared.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
cheley
Working the Gusset

[quote=iwouldratherbeknitting;1101010]do the sorting/etc that is necessary for a move to a new location? I have stuff everywhere.. keep being 'diverted' by other things.. and now have all sorts of 'started' projects going on.. and not much of anything really sorted.

However, I did clean out and organize the guest bathroom's medicine cabinet.. like that is really going to make a big difference, right? But, it was at least something that was small enough that I could finish and see some progress.

I have to sort my household goods into: what goes into storage, (it will be shipped to storage in the states- so, it's not like I can get it later if I want it), the items to send with me, the items to be sent in a small shipment (I think it's 100-150 pounds of household/etc items that you'll need immediately.. I put sheets, towels, a few kitchen items, my microwave, more clothing, etc..), items to mail ahead (when I get an address) to myself.. (teaching materials and other things that I'll need when I get there) and which items to put in the suitcase (and did you guys know that they changed the two checked bags at 70 pounds each to 50 pounds each? I noticed that on the ticket last summer when I flew to the states. Normally, it doesn't matter to me-- but, when I'm MOVING .. I need every pound that I'm allowed- since, my household goods won't arrive for about 3-4 months after they are picked up by the movers! )

AND.. what to donate to others, and what to throw away or to give to friends.. (like the food and cleaning supplies that will eventually be left over).. and of course..

WHAT did I start sorting first last week? Why, my yarn, of course! I sorted the yarn to put in these huge cloth bags.. that are so heavy.. that it will take the movers to 'move them' once I get them full.. and OF COURSE, I'll have to decide which yarns to take on the plane for the 25+ hours flight to the states.. then the flight from the states to EUROPE.. because, right now.. there isn't any time for knitting.. sigh.. (when I need it most for stress relief)

SO, who's in? Who wants to fly to Seoul, Korea to help me? I can offer you a couch.. or a guest bed.. but, right now they are holding 'items' pending the sorting process.. ok, the truth is.. stuff is just on them.

Oh, I forgot to mention.. that I have to do all of this after I get off work.. that might be why I have various projects started? However, I'm going to work on it all day/evening today.. (Sunday)[/quote Wow,LOL we are planning a giant move for my nephew (he's taking an assignment in Africa) from what I understand he even has to take ALL maintenance stuff for his vehicle too (tires, oil etc)...So I feel for you Oh, but he won't be taking any yarn
cheley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Sue,
I'm glad to hear that you read my blog!

No, I don't have a place to live in Germany yet.. the place that I'm moving to-- is undergoing a huge expansion.. or in other words.. thousands, THOUSANDS of people are moving to the same place at the same time.. all looking for a place to live in a fairly rural area of Germany!

So, my plan is.. 'not to take all of my HHG's so.. that I won't be tied down to having to find a large place to rent.. to hold all of my stuff.. (I'll take the basics.. and enough furniture to live somewhere.. but, most of my things- I'll put in storage.)

I don't know anyone there- to help me find a place to live.. unlike the military.. they tend to 'save/find/etc.' homes for the new incoming troops.. that doesn't happen with teachers.. mostly because the former teachers.. leave in JUNE.. and new teachers arrive in AUGUST.. so, you see.. no 'overlap'..

However, this time.. all of the teachers at my school will be NEW too.. all of us.. it is a brand new OPENED school.. newly formed.. not just a 'new school building'..

AND.. we will all need a place to live.. sigh.. But, it will all work out.
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

As a military brat I feel for you. I was the eldest of 5 and got to help my mother alot in the moves from duty station to duty station (including Rota, Spain). My dad was aboard ship and unavailable.
To this day I hate to travel even for overnight.
Also as someone who went to school on a military base in Spain, thank you for your work teaching. I remember fondly all the teachers I had my sophmore year of high school.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

ha ha.. cheley.. I know that there used to be a location (maybe it is still a base that we operate? I just can't remember where it is.. maybe Bahrain?) Anyway, you were supposed to bring your own toilet paper for the year.. hee hee.. and I'm sure paper towels too?

Auburn.. strange how things just disappear, huh? AND, when you move.. you can always say 'you haven't seen it since the move'.. to those people who ask about 'something' that they gave you that you just did not like and you dropped it off at a thrift store.. before you moved..
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Plant, I did request Rota, Spain.. but, didn't get it.. :(

I requested Italy and England too.. but, Germany will be fine.. I'm looking forward to the clean air... and traveling to new locations.

Yes, I move every 3 years or less.. doesn't make it any easier.. it just happens more often than most people..

Things are in a total mess here though.. my oh my.. I have a few 'pathways'.. had to shove the winter clothing off of the bed.. I get diverted too easily.. see new 'shiny things'.. (shiny things are anything that catches your attention)
Old 04-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #17
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

My sister and her family loved their posting in Germany. When my nephew went in the Army after West Point he chose Germany as well for his posting.
I am amazed by the photos I've seen of parts of Germany, how clean it is.
I have a friend who is German and where she lives the farmers have to wash off their tractors when done in the fields before they are allowed to bring them on the roads to go home.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #18
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Oh no! Dirt police! I wonder if there is a law about washing your car? Here.. my car gets dirty all the time.. from the EVIL yellow dust that falls out of the sky..
Old 04-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #19
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Had a friend (married to the German woman) who took his American pickup over to Germany (in the 1980's) He had to spend over $3,000 dollars to bring it up to emissions specs in order to get it licensed to drive.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #20
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

How 'bout I come to Germany and help you UNpack.

You can send your yarn to Inis Lovely, Colorado Springs --- for safe storage.

Seriously, I do understand some what. My father was in the Army and we moved quite frequently. Even as kids we had to part with things before every re-assignment.