Old 04-27-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
PeruGirl
Casting On

How do you do TL2 and TR2?
New here to the forums and I have a question.
I am working on a sweater for my dh and for the front there is one part of the pattern that has me stumped!
It says:

skip next st, p in BACK loop of next st, k skipped st (T L 2); k 4, T L 2, k 1, p 12, k 1; skip next st, k next st, p skipped st (T R 2); k 4, T R 2, k 28 (32-36).

This TL2 and TR2 has me confused and it's not coming out right. It's suppose to be a nice zig-zag pattern that sticks out nicely from a stockinette background but it only looks right in some parts when I do it. And I have tried this thing over and over.

I get the "skip next st, p in back loop of next st", but then when it says "k skipped st" I don't know what to do with the yarn. Does it go in front or back and if so before or after I slip the stitch to my left needle.
Here's a link to the pattern which has a picture (a little small but you should be able to make out the zig-zags on either side of the cable)

Men's Pullover
Oh! And I am a continental knitter, if that helps in answering my question.
PeruGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
T2L Twist 2 Left slip next st onto cable needle and hold at front of work, purl next St from left-hand needle, then knit st from cable needle.

T2R Twist 2 Right slip next st onto cable needle and hold at back of work, knit next St from left-hand needle, then purl st from cable needle.

I tried purling through the back loop of the 2nd stitch and it was totally time consuming and I ended up with a YO, to boot.

I think that your best bet is to do the twists using the above directions.

You could do it without a cable needle--check out Amy's video on cabling without a cable needle. I'll be so much easier and faster than trying to work the second stitch while it's on the needle.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
colloquy (04-28-2008), TEMA (03-05-2011)
Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
PeruGirl
Casting On

VERY helpful! Thank you. Now...

For the next line it says "p 5 k1B" I've been working on the other side like you say, and it works great, but then I do the k1B and I can't see the zig-zag like I should. Do I just k1 instead of k1B maybe?
Going to try that now.
I think it's mainly the way the pattern is written, I must just not understand this "dialect". Lol.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
PeruGirl
Casting On

I got it to work!!

I changed the k1B to k1 and it worked wonderfully! Thank you so much Ingrid for your helpful explanation! I really appreciate it! Now I can go to sleep and know that when I get back to the sweater I can really fly!
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
What Ingrid said to do about the twists will work, but if you want to do it without a CN here is what I would do.

Quote:
I get the "skip next st, p in back loop of next st", but then when it says "k skipped st" I don't know what to do with the yarn. Does it go in front or back and if so before or after I slip the stitch to my left needle.
Skip the next stitch, that's easy, then with the yarn in front I flip the work so that I'm looking at the back, and then insert the RH needle from right to left into the second stitch, then flip it back so that the front is facing me, yarn around and purl the stitch. Don't take the stitch off the needle yet, move the yarn between the needle tips to the back and then knit the stitch you skipped and slide the whole works off the LH needle.

I'm a Contiental knitter too and this works for me. With that K1B, I often find that when you knit 1 in the row below it doesn't look like anything worthwhile at first, but when you get a bunch of them lined up it can be a little different look than a regular K1, but you can probably live without it though.
MerigoldinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
efisker
Casting On

Thank you!
I am working on the same pattern and have restarted it four times. I was so happy to find this thread answering the same problem I was having.
efisker is offline   Reply With Quote