Old 04-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
dgmb
Casting On

new knitter
Hi! I am hoping all you long time knitters and beginners out there can come to my rescue. I am brand new to knitting, but have crocheted for years. I am having trouble getting used to holding the needles correctly for starters and making my stitches even. Since I am new to this, I don't know where the yarn should be on the needle when transfering the stitch and end up having a very long space when I transfer the last stitch. Please help and tell me what I am doing that wrong!!!!! I appreciate being able to come to this forum and having your help and guidance.
Dianne
dgmb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
CognizantAmiga
1st Leg of the Journey

Welcome to knitting! I am pretty new to it as well, but I will try to assure you a little. It seems that all of your problems will probably even out as you get used to adding that other needle. Stitch tension evens out as you relax. And as you relax you will be able to more confidently hold the yarn closer to the tip of your needles without worrying about dropping stitches. Generally mine stay about an inch down from the tip if I am working lace or closer if I am doing straight knit or purl stitching. If I were you and looking for a more "correct" way of holding your needles, I would check out some videos (here and on youtube or elsewhere.) I really don't think there is a 100% correct way of doing it. It is how you are comfortable and able to get the results that you want. My hold changes just about every time I knit. I really depends on how I am feeling.

Good Luck!

CognizantAmiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, practice, practice, practice. First you have to get used to the different movements, then after a while you can experiment with how holding the yarn makes the sts tighter or looser. It just takes some time.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Welcome to KH!! Soon you will be addicted to knitting like all of us ...it just takes time and practice

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
dgmb
Casting On

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I appreciate all your help and I will continue to practice and take your advice and watch some videos to help.
dgmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 AM   #6
heatherg23
Knitting the Flap

I learned how to knit by DVD. I thought it would be easy to learn but it takes work. I practiced for a month straight, every day, before I actually started to actually make something.

The videos here helped with areas of knitting I was struggling with.

Good luck!!

Heather
heatherg23 is offline   Reply With Quote