Old 04-29-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Terrycap
Casting On

Flying with knitting needles
Hi There!

I am a new knitter and am absolutely hooked! We are traveling in a few weeks and I am already thinking about a good project to work on. It dawned on me that due to safety issues they may not allow knitting needles on the plane with me. Can anyone advise me on this subject? Would circular needles be okay? I don't want to get to the front of the line and have them taken away. I can't imagine not knitting while sitting idol for so long.

Thanks!
Terrycap

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
knitasha
Turning the Heel

Here are current regulations for flights within the U.S.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

Note that any agent at any airport can confiscate knitting needles, scissors, etc., at their own discretion. Bamboo or plastic circs seem to be safest; scissors should be the kindergarten type, less than 4" long and with blunt tips. I haven't had any problems in the last couple of years, but but I still put my knitting on a piece of waste yarn before going through security just in case. If you have Denise interchangeables, they're great for traveling.

HOWEVER: none of the above applies to flights outside the US Heathrow Airport in London is especially tough. Check with your airline before traveling outside the US, but remember that regulations can change from day to day.

PS: Some people suggest carrying a self-addressed envelope so you can send your needles home if they don't make it through security. Fine, if you want to go to the back of the line, hunt down a mailbox and wait in line again. The TSA agents will NOT mail them for you.
Simply_Renee (05-07-2008), Terrycap (04-29-2008)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
On domestic flights you're pretty safe, though wood or plastic needles might be easier than metal ones. And if you've already got a bit of it started, it definitely looks like a WIP. International flights have tougher regulations though, and it varies by airport.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
ARiley
Casting On

This topic seems to come up regularly -- with the summer travel season upon us, maybe one of the moderators would make a sticky thread about it.

(I'll be stitching away on baby caps for charity on my travels this summer.)
ARiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
heykaren
Knitting the Flap

I flew Valencia,Spain to Paris and then Detroit ( and then back ) at the beginning of april. I have plastic 10.5 needles with me and had absolutely NO problems in any of the airports. I was tempted to bring my Options, but was scared that they´d want to take them, so stuck with the plastic.

Karen

heykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I forgot to mention -- I think circulars look less threatening than straight needles. Though straights are probably no more deadly than a pen or pencil....

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #7
Cirrus
Ribbing the Cuff

I've never had any problem with knitting needles. However, I do find the needles of much length are difficult because the seating is so crowded. Double points or circs are better, if possible.
Cirrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #8
jess_hawk
Working the Gusset

I've never had issues on domestic flights. I actually accidentally left ALL of my needles in my carry-on for my flights home from Alaska. Straights, circs, dpns. No problems. Still, I second the recommendations for using plastic or wooden circs. Not only because I feel that they would look less threatening, but also because of the space issue.
As mentioned, international flights are a different issue. Qantas, the big airline going to Australia from the US, lists knitting needles as a "dangerous item" not allowed in carry-ons. To be safe, I didn't try to press my luck with even wooden ones. I might call the airport on my way home and ask if wooden circs are allowed.
My knitting blog: http://emilai333.wordpress.com/
jess_hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
suewoz
Ribbing the Cuff

I knit on the plane with no difficulty. I use circular needles because i find straight needles cause me to bump the passenger next to me with my elbow Luckily it is usually dh. I have never been stopped at security.
suewoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

I just flew on 4 planes and called ahead to check with the airline. I had no problem at all and even noticed that they let my scissors through! It is a small "squeeze" type, not an actual scissors but, still! The took my tiny keychain swiss army knife last time, I was so mad!!!

I think you are pretty safe with knitting needles, my biggest problem was my nervousness during flying caused me to really mess up my socks!!!!LOL!!!! I left all the mistakes as a reminder of my trip!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote