Old 04-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
kjmckeever
Casting On

Vest - Cable Pattern Question
If anyone out there could help this "newbie" I would really appreciate it. Below is part of a vest pattern that I am "trying" to work on but I am stuck after row 3. Could anyone explain to me how the body of the pattern is worked including the cable pattern after row 3? This is my first time posting a question so excuse me if I am doing this incorrectly.

Pattern Stitch

Cable Pattern (panel of 10 sts)
Row 1 (RS): K10
Rows 2, 4, 6, 8 & 10: P10.
Row 3: Sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in back, k2, k2 from cn, k2, sl next 2 sts to cn, hold in front, k2, k2 from cn.
Rows 5, 7, & 9: K10
Rep Rows 1-10 for patt.

Border I understand this part

Body
Change to larger circular ndl and beg patt.
Row 1: K6, p2, pM, *p2, k10, rep from * to last 20 sts, p2 pM, k10, pM, p2, k6.
Row 2 and rem WS rows: K4, pacross to last 4 sts, k4.
Row 3: K6, p2, work Row 3 Cable Patt over 10 sts, *p2, k10, rep from * to 2 sts before next marker, p2, work Cable Patt over 10 sts, end p2, k6.
Continue to work even in patt as est until piece meas 9-1/2: from beg, ending with a WS row, at the same time,
kjmckeever is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It looks like the first two rows are the set up rows to establish the cable pattern.

Just follow them as they're written.

The cable pattern this time will start with row 3, on the 10 stitches after the markers. After you've finished rows 3-10 of the cable rows the first time, you'll start the next row with row 1 of the cable pattern.

The rest of the pattern is just a repeat of the non-cable stitches of 2 and 3.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
kjmckeever
Casting On

Thanks so much for your help. The only question "I think" I have left is from the "body" part of the pattern what exactly does "Continue to work even in patt as est until piece meas 9-1/2: from beg, ending with a WS row, at the same time, ………

Again, thanks a lot! Kathy
kjmckeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
Knit4Pie
Turning the Heel

It just means to follow your cable pattern. Work even means without increases or decreases, but since there aren't any, you're good!

Visit my blog Knitting for Patience
Knit4Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

Yep, Knit4pie has it right. Just work the pattern, the 10 cable rows, over and over. It was stated different for the first-time-through the cable pattern because the writer wanted to start you at a specific point of the cable pattern - in this case, row 1. Once you've done this row, you work all the rest of the cable pattern in order: rows 1 - 2 - 3, etc.

After the first go-around, you just work the 10 cable pattern rows over and over.

And you are familiar with slipping half the cable stitches onto a dpn/stitch holder, moving it behind your needle and knitting the other half of the cable stitches - then knit the first half off of the dpn/stitch holder... this is how you twist your cable.

Good for you for doing this!
Dot

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote