Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
iza
Turning the Heel

Albany/Saratoga Springs?
I will be going in the Albany/Saratoga Springs area with my boyfriend next week. He has a job interview, and we thought I should see what it looked like before we take our decision to move there or not (if they offer him a job).

He will be spending the entire day at the company, so it means I'll have to find something to do while he's there. Are there any museums, shopping malls, markets, etc that are worth seeing? What would be the best neighborhoods to explore? We think our hotel will be in Saratoga Springs, but I wouldn't mind going to Albany if there are more things to do there. I won't have a car though, so it would need to be by public transit.

I really do not know ANYTHING about the area, so I would appreciate any information you gals could have! And of course, if you know a good LYS, let me know!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Hey - I used to live in that area of NY and there is lots of stuff there to do if you are good at using maps and not afraid to venture out on your own. Do you know if you will be in Albany or Saratoga Springs - they are about 45 min apart.
I will have to double check with my mom on the name and address of the LYS that I ADORE. It is the type of place that the first time you walk in you are welcome to sit and knit for as long as you like.
Malls in Albany - there is Crossgates Mall and Crossgate Commons....and Colonie Center Mall that has an LLBean and an incredible Chinese Fusion restuarant.
If you are going to be in Saratoga Springs I would take a 30-45min drive up to Lake George. There is outlet shopping, an overlook and some walking trails, multiple lunch and dinner cruises on the lake....
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vaknitter For This Useful Post:
iza (05-01-2008)
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #3
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
there's Saratoga Needle Arts in downtown Saratoga springs

there's also an AC Moore in Saratoga as well...

I HIGHLY reccomend parking in one of the lots in Saratoga and taking a walk through downtown, it's gorgeous! there's also an Irish imports store too
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
iza (05-01-2008)
Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
iza
Turning the Heel

Thanks so much to both of you, that's very helpful! We only have a few days to plan this trip, so having a few ideas will make all the difference in the world.

A Chinese fusion restaurant sounds awesome! And I think we have to go to the Irish imports store in Saratoga, since my boyfriend's mom is Irish and her birthday is coming.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Houses
If you enjoy architecture...there are so many beautiful homes and building in Saratoga and in Albany. Do some "research" before you go. Have fun!!
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiltlady For This Useful Post:
iza (05-06-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

I live in Clifton Park, which is about 30 minutes from downtown Saratoga. Saratoga is a beautiful place and, if we have nice weather, I would highly recommend just walking around downtown, visiting the park, all the shops, etc.. Loads of restaurants and pubs. Pick one - I don't think you can go wrong. Limoncello's is great.

There is the Racing Museum (Saratoga Racetrack is right there, ya know! - Very popular place in August!) also there is the Dance Museum, which I believe, John Travolta was just inducted into for "Saturday Night Fever".

There is a great spa (Aveda Spa) right on the downtown strip if you are into that. Great Facials!!! And they sell Essie nailpolishes (which I love!)

Saratoga runs from Northway Exits 12 (south end) to Exit 15. Up around Exit 15 is the Wilton Mall (although I haven't been there in ages so I can't say how it is). We have the Clifton Commons Mall here at Exit 9 (which is about 25-30 minutes from Saratoga). There are lots of new shops in there and a spa as well.

Crossgates Mall in Albany is at the complete other end of the Northway. It has it's own exit - it's huge. Albany also has a great museum. There may be a show at The Egg http://www.theegg.org/events - check for when you're coming and perhaps take in a show. For additional shows there is also The Palace Theater
http://www.palacealbany.com/pages/ev...how_events.asp

In Schenectady, which is the city I work in, we have Proctor's Theater http://www.proctors.org/, which is a beautiful, newly remodeled theater. There is also a nice yarn store on Union Street (right up the street from my office - DANGEROUS!) called Ye Olde Yarn Shoppe.

Anywho, lots of stuff in this area. You probably won't be bored. I hope the weather gets better for your trip. It's in the 50s and rainy lately. All the trees are budding and beautiful, but it's much prettier in the sun. Have a great trip and consider this area. I've lived here my whole life and love it. (I sound like a travel brochure..."Come to Jamaica"....HA!)
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunshine's Mom For This Useful Post:
iza (05-06-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
LilHuskiesFootBallMom
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to LilHuskiesFootBallMom Send a message via Yahoo to LilHuskiesFootBallMom
the wilton mall's ok... more of your higher end retailers and such but that's just a reflection of the local economy... i love this one store in there that sells swords and such...
LilHuskiesFootBallMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilHuskiesFootBallMom For This Useful Post:
iza (05-06-2008)
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
iza
Turning the Heel

Thank you so much everyone for all the ideas! The company reserved a hotel room for us in Clifton Park, so the plan as of now is for me to spend the day in Albany on Wednesday, and we'll visit Saratoga on Thursday before heading back to Montreal. It's only a 3 1/2 hour drive it seems (if all goes well at the border), so we'll have until the afternoon to visit.

Even if we don't end up moving there, it's always fun to visit new areas. I'm excited! We're leaving in 2-3 hours!