Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
Amanda89
Casting On

Hat Problems
I finished my first hat a few days ago and it turned out dreadful. I had trouble with the top of it. The sts wouldn't go all the way around my circulars so I decided that I should probably use dpn except that I have never used them before. My question is, because I have just begun a baby hat, is there any other way to finish a hat that was worked using circulars without having to use dpn? I bought a pair, but haven't figured out how to use them yet. Also, how do I decrease a ribbed pattern? I figured out how to decrease knit, but nothing else. I'm worried if I don't do it right, the hat will be a disaster. I'm CO 72 sts and working in a k3p3 pattern. Help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!
Amanda89 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
Jints
Turning the Heel

There is a section here
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques
showing video's for 3 methods for doing 'small diameter circular' knitting. DPN, Magic loop and 2 circulars.
To make decreases for rib easier and more attractive the spiral decreases are good.
Place a marker before each decrease on first decrease round. (Its usually 8 per round) then on subsequent decrease rounds work them after each marker. it shifts the ribs over 1 st at a time and creates a tidy spiral effect. You don't need to worry about how to keep the rib sequence going.
This pattern MarsanCap shows it clearly with 4 lines but you will get a similar effect with the usual 6 or 8 dec lines.
Jints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I would agree with Jints, have a look at the 'small diameter' knitting videos on here. There are two methods of doing the small stuff without DPNs: Magic Loop and Two Circular Needles.

Personally i am a fan of DPNs, and although they are a little tricky at first i always get the result i want with them.

What sort of probelems did you have on the first hat you made? maybe if we knew where you felt things had gone wrong, then we could help you not make similar mistakes.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
Amanda89
Casting On

I finished the decreasing of the hat without a problem, but after awhile the sts wouldn't fit around the needle anymore and I realized I would have to use dpn. I had never done this before so I watched the video and that was pretty confusing. I attempted to use the dpn and still ended up with a small hole in the top of my hat. Since then I have sort of figured out how to use dpn. I don't like them, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually. Too many needles get into the way. Thanks for all of the advice.
Amanda89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Generally, hat patterns will have you decrease to about 10-16 sts, then you cut the yarn and pull the tail through the sts on the needle like a drawstring. This may leave a very tiny hole, but it's usually not noticeable.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
KnittingCommuter
Ribbing the Cuff

I too had the same problem when switching from the circs to the dreaded DPNs. It amazes me when I see knitters on the subway knitting rapidly and with great confidence using DPNs. I finally decided I had to learn Magic Loop and purchased a little booklet titled "The Magic Loop" distributed by Fiber Trends. I can finally make decent hats using this method. Magic Loop really is great!!
KnittingCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote