Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
willowangel
Knitting the Flap

Mystical Creation Yarn
Hi all :-)

Now, I *know* this is a huge controversy, and I have no desire at all to start a repeat of the MCY thread from Ravelry on KH, but I just thought that, now there's some refunds being given out, that anyone on here who isn't on Ravelry and hadn't heard might benefit from it. I'm going to stick to the bare bones as much as I can.

Some people may have received emails stating that Danielle (the owner of MCY) was ill/dying and could people please buy some yarn to help cover medical costs. After that, an email saying she'd died. Neither of these is true. The company seems to have been in financial trouble as she'd spent the money from orders and sent out yarn that was felted, the dye hadn't been set, was tangled, was totally different from the pictures etc, and then there was no money for refunds. She faked her own death to avoid these issues and to get some more money. She *is* alive, and has been seen a number of times since her 'death'. As this is fraud, an investigation was opened, and, of course, a bunch of knitters did their own investigating.

The long and short of it is this : if you are one of the people who got caught up in either the death scam or just received faulty yarn, you can file a complaint with the New Mexico Attorney General (the form to download is here : http://www.nmag.gov/office/Divisions...rComplaint.pdf). If you try and contact MCY directly, you'll probably hear from either 'Margaret' (the fictional sister) or Zach, her ex-husband, who the refund cheques so far have been signed by. If you hear at all, that is. They'll try and say that there was a 7-day refund policy (there wasn't) or that if you've tested the yarn you must have used it and therefore you don't get a refund. Neither of these things are true and, if you tell them you're filing with the AG, you'll probably get a refund anyway. If you decide to cut out all of that and just go straight to the AG, that's also fine and this seems to be the most efficient route. I have to say now - I haven't done this and wasn't part of it, but have followed the train-wreck that is MCY and didn't want any of you guys to be caught up in it.

I hope that none of you were, but I know that knitters are a kind bunch and will help out when people are in trouble, as she seemed to be. There's an I3 investigation going on too, apparently, but I don't know anything about that. If you're on Ravelry and somehow missed the MCY thread and need a refund, please go to the 'Mysterious Circumstances' group and talk to them - otherwise I'd stay away because the thread will eat your life ;-)

Hope this is unnecessary,
Fi
cristina61 (05-02-2008)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
iza
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by willowangel View Post
If you're on Ravelry and somehow missed the MCY thread and need a refund, please go to the 'Mysterious Circumstances' group and talk to them - otherwise I'd stay away because the thread will eat your life ;-)
This is so true! I never heard of MCY before I saw this thread on ravelry, and I couldn't stop reading. I just couldn't believe it, what a story!

I really hope nobody here on KH got scammed by MCY. It's sad to know the knitting world is at risk for fraud too...
Old 05-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I was thinking the same thing too. I do feel sorry for the woman though, she must be in a really horrible time in her life to have to resort to scamming knitters.
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote