Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Input needed from moms who nursed
I need some feedback and help finding a pattern; crochet or knitting patterns are more than welcome.

A relative of mine is pregnant and is planning on nursing their baby. After nursing all three of my kids, struggling with trying to keep blankets or shawls on as privacy covers with one hand, while trying to maneuver the baby with the other hand, a lightbulb went off, and I thought to myself, "A poncho might have been a GREAT solution to this problem for me!" It stays put without having to worry about it falling off, leaving your hands free for getting nursing started and whatever else you may need to use hands for while nursing (reading, drinking, eating, etc.).

So for you ladies that have nursed, my question to you is, did you use something like a blanket, shawl, or poncho as a privacy cover? Which object did you use? Do you think a poncho might be the best of the abovementioned items to use?

Here's my dilemma, though, if I decide to make a poncho. This woman is on the younger side than I am (she's in her late 20's versus me in my late 30's), and is kind of on the sporty side. For myself, the "Martha poncho" kind of style would've been great--I love the open pattern and think it's pretty, and it is also practical (lets air in but would still keep things private), but I think it may be a bit too "girlie" for her. I don't want to make something in a really bulky or overheating style, and I want to keep her personal style in mind, too. Any ideas? I may use cotton or a cotton blend to keep it cool (as well as a "safe" choice for baby just in case there might be allergies to animal fibers), but I guess fiber choice may depend on what pattern I used.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
I am much older than you are (55), but I usually just used a baby blanket. Not the best method though for sure.

I'm not sure about a poncho because it seems like it might be a little difficult to see what the baby is doing and all the things you need to do like refasten the bra, etc. What about a wider shawl that made had a clasp or button on it..

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Jax3303
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Jax3303
I breastfed all 3 of mine, and never once used a cover up. It seemed to me that a big huge cover up hassle called more attention to the baby on my boob than discreetly lifting my top a little bit and latching the baby on did. When I needed to breastfeed in public I usually just latched the baby on in the sling and went about my shopping. Nobody could see anything, I guess you could say the baby was my cover up.

My Blog

Jax3303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

not what you are looking for but have you seen the peek-a-boob from knitty ( http://knitty.com/issuespring05/PATTpeekaboob.html )?

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
CognizantAmiga
1st Leg of the Journey

I nursed both of mine (recently) and rarely did I use a cover up. Once I got used to it, I was able to be very discreet without a cover up. That said, I did have a poncho of sorts that I would use during those really distractable periods of nursing. My sister made it and I am not sure if I can find the pattern, but I will describe it as best I can. She used ribbon yarn and it was a VERY open work pattern. It was longer on one side than the other and worked well for us. I am sure that your friend will apprciate it no matter what. Very thoughtful!

Good luck to your friend

CognizantAmiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
candicane
Working the Gusset

I also nursed and rarely used a cover up. Occasionally I used a receiving blanket, but DD seemed to get too hot under it. I did find that cardigans were my sweater of choice.

I just saw a new book at the library about knitting for moms-to-be. I can't remember the name of it, but it seemed to have some nice, modern styles in it.

I'll see if I can dig through my memory banks to come up with the name!

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #7
figaro
Working the Gusset

I also nursed but I stayed home most of the time! But I have seen what I describe as a type of big bib I guess. I think that if you just knit a large square or rectangle (maybe 2 feet or so) and then add some long i-cord to either side, that way she could tie it loose enough to have a bird's eye view of the baby and still be covered. I would knit it on larger size needles too, that way it would not be too hot under there for baby.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Thanks for all the help everybody!

I don't think there's a "right" way or a "wrong" way to nurse (I wasn't insinuating that at all; I hope nobody got that idea)...I know for myself, when I first started and didn't have a system or method downpat yet, I felt like I needed something to cover up with, but once things got established, I was okay and kind of a "pro" with being discreet without any cover-up. I just thought the mom-to-be might appreciate something to use for the first couple of times she was out and about; I know for me, my first outings outside of the house were a bit awkward for me because I was inexperienced, but once I got used to doing things, I was okay.

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!

Last edited by cookworm : 05-05-2008 at 10:13 AM.
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

I nursed both of mine- and didn't use a cover up either but had some nursing tops that were great and I nursed them everywhere I went with no problems.

I think your poncho idea would be a good one. I never felt coordinated enough to keep a blanket on my shoulder but a poncho would have worked well- or maybe moebus type drape that didn't have ends would have worked too. The only suggestion I would have would be to make it lightweight and airy- easier to peek in on the baby and not too hot.

Very thoughtful- and let me know what you ended up doing & how it worked- I'm probably not done with babies and could use the input!

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I was looking through the free patterns at Elann.com looking for a shawl pattern and saw a couple of beautiful lacy poncho patterns. I was even considering the option of changing the pattern to a shawl. They may give you some ideas if none of them is suitable. They were quite open and airy looking.
If you decide to look just scroll down through the patterns, it seems they were halfway or better down the page.