Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
Weight Problem
I used to be a really happy size 5, until I made a huge mistake and went on the Depo shot. I gained like 20 pounds, and since then I can't seem to get it off!!! I am like a size 12 and feeing more self-conscious than ever before. I can't even wear a pair of jeans without crying because I am out of proportion.
So all I'm asking is is there anyone out there that has a diet plan that works? Or something that they have done that helped them? I am one of those people is athletic and will run 10 miles if I have to. Any ideas?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
kyrolakatz
Casting On

Knifty,

From a gal that has a much bigger weight problem (110 lbs to lose), I can certainly relate. I so wish I only had 20 to lose!

There are a million diet plans out there. My question to you is what are you looking for? Low carb is a good option for fast weight loss...but if you aren't willing to give up carbs then it would need to be something else. With 20 lbs to lose you really could use any plan.
kyrolakatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
traceleighj
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to traceleighj
Hi there! I have lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers and it has been relatively easy! I just followed the plan- it's mostly portion control. If I exercised, I'm sure my weight loss would go up, but I was just going to start one thing at a time......now it's about time to add in a workout!

Good luck!
Sheldon Cooper: It's very simple. Scissors cuts paper. Paper covers rock. Rock crushes lizard. Lizard poisons Spock. Spock smashes scissors. Scissors decapitates lizard. Lizard eats paper. Paper disproves Spock. Spock vaporizes rock. And as it always has, rock crushes scissors.
I'm traceleighj on Ravelry.
traceleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Several years ago I lost a total of about 40 lbs. The first 15 lbs I lost by cutting out processed food and then I joined Weight Watcher's Online and lost another 25 lbs.

I've gained a few back in the last 3 years so I am now using SparkPeople to lose it again. I joined on January 1 and have lost about 12 lbs or so now. Have about 6 or so more to lose.

SparkPeople is free and it's a great tool to see how much you are actually eating and where the problems are. I've learned a lot!
http://www.sparkpeople.com/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
JessicaR
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to JessicaR Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaR
I've been on the drug Phentermine since September and still doing well with it. However, I'm not sure it'd be recommended for having to lose only 20 pounds
Old 05-05-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
Ivy19
Ribbing the Cuff

I'm sure we can all identify! One of the problems is that as we get older, sigh, it's harder to lose weight. I agree that Weight Watchers is the way to go, because you get to eat food you like - it's up to you how you "spend" your points. However, I also agree that the low carb-high protein diet is great for a fast 10 lbs or so loss. The problem is that it's so easy to gain it right back once you start introducing carbs back into your diet.

Good luck - we're all rooting for you.
Ivy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Two questions- How old are you? Also, how tall are you?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

Depo is really tough b/c it makes you sooo hungry and store fat. I recently discussed this with my GYN and decided it is a not an option for me. She said she has never seen anyone gain less than 30lbs on it. Are you still on the shots? If not, then give your body time to readjust and then I would suggest you start by keeping a really strict record of exactly what you are eating and how much you are exercising. I've heard great things about weight watchers although I've never done it and personally found sparkpeople to be too time consuming when I tried it - trying to find everything I ate or drank in their bank was tough. B/c your weight gain is the direct result of a drug you are on, I would be very careful using other drugs to lose weight.
If you are still on Depo maybe talk to your GYN and see if there is another acceptable form of birth control that wouldn't hvae the side effects. Just out of curiosity, did they discuss the weight gain with you before starting the shots?
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #9
alleusion
Turning the Heel

I have the last 5 pounds of baby weight still to lose, and dread getting on birth control because I know that 5 pounds will turn into 10 or 15. Weight watchers is really good. I've not tried it personally, but I have many friends that swear by it.

If you're athletic and active, I'd suggest changing your routine, as your body may be in a plateau phase. Either step up or scale back whatever exercise routine you're doing to shock your system out of the rut it's gotten into.

...I can't have too many projects, I still have empty needles...

alleusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
Depo is really tough b/c it makes you sooo hungry and store fat. I recently discussed this with my GYN and decided it is a not an option for me. She said she has never seen anyone gain less than 30lbs on it. Are you still on the shots? If not, then give your body time to readjust and then I would suggest you start by keeping a really strict record of exactly what you are eating and how much you are exercising. I've heard great things about weight watchers although I've never done it and personally found sparkpeople to be too time consuming when I tried it - trying to find everything I ate or drank in their bank was tough. B/c your weight gain is the direct result of a drug you are on, I would be very careful using other drugs to lose weight.
If you are still on Depo maybe talk to your GYN and see if there is another acceptable form of birth control that wouldn't hvae the side effects. Just out of curiosity, did they discuss the weight gain with you before starting the shots?
Actually, I am on depo and have been since 1995, so 13 years. The only side effects I had were leg cramping and stopping of my period. They told me I could have weight gain, but haven't had that. I am not sure if I am the oddball, but I didn't have that side effect.
As for the extra 20 pounds, which is actually about what I have to lose, I started with small things. I cut out soda from my diet, which dropped about 5 pounds from my waist in 2 months. snacking at work I also cut out. I would get hungry because I didn't eat anything for breakfast so I would munch on junk. Now I have a yogurt or something in the am to keep me until lunch.
On an aside, make sure you are getting more than the daily recommended value of calcium if you are on Depo. There is something in the depo that inhibits the absorption of calcium so you need more than normal.
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote