Old 07-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #241
Karina
Working the Gusset

Libbie - that is really nice. I can't read Finnish, so did they just cut out a 1/3 of the doily and went back and fourth and maybe added some edging?

I would never have considered myself to be a shawl person, but after joining on here I have seen so many beautiful patterns that I am going to make a few of them for myself, just to cuddle up in when watching TV in the winter.

I have just joined the Mystery shawl KAL which starts on the 12th July and have bought some Drops Alpaca to make it with can't wait to get started.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #242
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Mary - your alita is lovely. what is a 2/8 cotton is that like a fingering weight or thinner?
It's 3/2 and it is a fingering weight. The "3" is actually thicker than most used for tablecloths and doilies. I used a #20 slub cotton for my extended Egeblad...very tiny. I've order some 8/2 in a cotton/linen blend and hope to try it next week. These threads(they aren't even called yarns) are used in weaving and crocheting, too. Some of the patterns designed in the early 1900's called for a size 50 or 60! YIKES!!!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #243
Karina
Working the Gusset

Sorry for the mix up. I thought I had seen the 2/8 somewhere. I would imagine if i did the Alita in the Eco it would work out to be around 5 ft, which is a pretty good size for a blanket.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:05 PM   #244
mwhite
Instepping Out

Oh yeah, for sure it will be over 5 feet. I was really amazed at the size of mine when done.
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
Karina (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 03:04 AM   #245
gargoylelib
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Karina View Post
Libbie - that is really nice. I can't read Finnish, so did they just cut out a 1/3 of the doily and went back and fourth and maybe added some edging?

I would never have considered myself to be a shawl person, but after joining on here I have seen so many beautiful patterns that I am going to make a few of them for myself, just to cuddle up in when watching TV in the winter.

I have just joined the Mystery shawl KAL which starts on the 12th July and have bought some Drops Alpaca to make it with can't wait to get started.
Hmmm...not sure how they did it exactly. My Finnish skills are
not good enough for me to do a side by side pattern comparison. I
do fine with basic patterns but I don't think I'm ready for a more
complicated pattern like this. Just thought I'd post the pic in
case anyone here was feeling adventurous and wanted to come
up with a pattern themselves...

What's the Mystery Shawl KAL? Sounds like fun...

Libbie

gargoylelib on Ravelry
gargoylelib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:33 AM   #246
Karina
Working the Gusset

http://www.bopeepswoolshop.com/zenca...d712a7f1644efd

This is a link to the pattern which has to be purchased, then you get a invite to join the forum where there is all the info on how much yarn needed and a little test swatch for you to make to see how your yarn works etc. I looked at all the patterns on the site and thought most of them I would buy so did not think I would take much of a chance paying $5.5 for the pattern. Just happened to have one skein of the Drops Alpaca and thought I would try it. it is so lovely and soft. Have now bought enough for the pattern and the needles are ready to go.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 AM   #247
lynn893
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, it's taken me 4 days, but I've finally reached the end of this topic.

I must say, to everyone who's posted pictures of their finished projects, that these are absolutely beautiful!!

I am in the process right now of looking for some cotton / linen yarn to do this. I especially love how it turned out in the green (Mary).

I'm also thinking (due to the discussion) that I'll do this in size 6 needles. (Did you guys start on one size dpn's and then go to the same size circulars?)

I'm sure that once I actually start on this project, I'll be posting lots of questions, I only hope that someone is still on this particular thread when that happens...

WIPs: these change so quickly, if your really interested, check out my project page on Rav.

FO: Finished 14 shawls in 2010, as well as some socks and other stuff.
lynn893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:32 AM   #248
DudeWithSticks
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by lynn893 View Post

I must say, to everyone who's posted pictures of their finished projects, that these are absolutely beautiful!!

I am in the process right now of looking for some cotton / linen yarn to do this. I especially love how it turned out in the green (Mary).

I'm also thinking (due to the discussion) that I'll do this in size 6 needles. (Did you guys start on one size dpn's and then go to the same size circulars?)

I'm sure that once I actually start on this project, I'll be posting lots of questions, I only hope that someone is still on this particular thread when that happens...
Hi Lynn,

Welcome to the KAL. Don't worry, we are here to help and answer your questions, regardless if we are done with it. That is why I really like these forums here, everyone is really great and VERY helpful.
I used to do DPN's now I do Magic Loop (And I love it now that I finally got how to do it) If anyone is looking for another option than DPN's, go to www.youtube.com and type in magic loop knitting in the search field. I think that Amy's tutorial on here is good, but there are a few others that sort of explained it differently and was easier for me to get.
A lot of the members on here start off with smaller DPN's to do the center motif then graduate to the larger/correct size to finish the pattern. It's just best to swatch and see what you like better and also if it's not too tight on your needles.
I am working on a pattern now that has a lot of mesh and I swatched this about four times to see what size I liked best. I feel that if you're going to put all this time and effort into this, make sure you're happy with it from the beginning.
I normally just start with the needle size that is recommended for the yarn weight and go from there. I knit on the tighter side, so I usually go up a size. But since I got the Options from Knit Picks, I have gone down a size. So, it just all depends.
Good luck on your Egeblad and ask away, we are here for you and everyone else!
Cheers,

Gino
DudeWithSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:07 AM   #249
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by lynn893 View Post

I found some cotton/linen at Yarn.com in the Valley Yarns but it's an 8/2, kind of small but good for making tablecloths. I've ordered a cone and anxious to start working with it. My intention is to use size 1 or 2 needles and make a larger tablecloth in an oval shape for my daughter. I did the Alita and my second Egeblad(the rose colored one) in 3/2 100% Mercerized cotton. Both were done on size 6 needles and I still had great stitch definition.

One of the biggest reasons I like using the Valley Cotton is that it is really inexpensive...another is that there is tons of yardage on one cone and can usually finish a piece without having to weave in ends except for the beginning and end...THIS IS A BIG PLUS!!! The 3/2 has 1260 yards per pound and is coned that way. I was a tad intimidated with using the smaller threads and needles but now I wouldn't do it any other way!!!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #250
lynn893
1st Leg of the Journey

ok, I'm heading off to Romni Wools in about an hour. They're having a 'Boss is Away' sale! (located in Toronto).

Mary, approximately how many cones of the Valley Cotton should I purchase to do the original egeblad? (Not sure if I'll tackle the extensions on my first of this type of project). I'll be using size 6 needles.

WIPs: these change so quickly, if your really interested, check out my project page on Rav.

FO: Finished 14 shawls in 2010, as well as some socks and other stuff.
lynn893 is offline   Reply With Quote