Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

I'm going to Japan
I am doing my disertation for my MSc comparing Japanes and British 14th/15th century populations (i do palaeopathology).
In order to get the best data for my report it was decided that i shouldnt have to rely on translations of old site reports,i should realy try and work with the material myself. Of course the material is in Japan ....

I have to self fund it as i am MSc not PhD so wasnt sure i could do it until today, but i managed to find a (barely) affordable flight and booked my tickets to got to Tokyo/Kawaski for two weeks in July im so excited i keep squeeing and giggling

I can't wait! i am flying out two weeks today. Has anybody every been or lives there? what should i expect, and when i'm not locked in a lab working, what is good for a 23 yr old to do?

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

OMG.. how exciting!!! Have a great trip!!

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (05-12-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

Wow! Good for you. Hope you have a fantastic time.
tarrentella (05-12-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
PCwombat
Knitting the Flap

Oh, that's so cool! I have a few friends going to study abroad there next year, and they're so excited as well.

There's a kid in my school there now, and he has a blog. Here's the link. He hasn't updated since November, but in the entries he did post, he did say some of the stuff he did. Also, he's in Nagoya, not Tokyo, but some of the cultural stuff might be the same.

Also, you must take lots of pictures!!
PCwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PCwombat For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (05-12-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 AM   #5
scout52
Working the Gusset

Congrats. It sounds like a great opportunity. what a fascinating degree!!
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (05-12-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #6
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I've been there.. it is EXPENSIVE! Everything is-- even riding the subway (compared to other places that I have lived in or visited)... however, if you need to buy anything.. they do have the 100 yen stores that are fun to shop in. Since, it's a big city-- a lot of walking happens and it is a safe city.

Enjoy your stay...
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iwouldratherbeknitting For This Useful Post:
tarrentella (05-12-2008)
Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

iwouldratherbeknitting, that s was i was afraid of.

Like i say i am self funding this, i have already had to dig into mys avins just to pay for the flights, i haven't booked accomodation yet. I am hoping my contacts over there can help with that. I have also applied for a travel grant from my college but the most they give you is 100 and my trip falls outside of its normal criteria, so finger and toes crossed for that.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Karina
Working the Gusset

Good luck with your grant. Sounds like a trip of a life time type of thing, something you will always look back on in the future. Have a great time.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #9
YouCantBuyThisMovement
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to YouCantBuyThisMovement Send a message via Yahoo to YouCantBuyThisMovement
Oh my gosh I am so jealous. I hope you have the time of your life.

YouCantBuyThisMovement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

Ok, take a bar of soap or shower gel... in your suitcase... (at least you won't have to buy that there... (check it of course- because of the liquid factor).

They have the noodle soups that are cheap to eat... the tangerines are good (that season is about ending though)- Be prepared for them (unless you are staying in a hotel) not to have regular type items for breakfast-- it's the rice/soup/sort of meal for breakfast- same as it is in Korea. Take some instant oatmeal packets in your suitcase.
Voltage is 220. See if you can buy one of those travel plug converter things.. I think that in Japan it is the 2 round circle prongs? I'm trying to remember.. if they have something different than we do in Korea? I seem to remember more than one type?
Stop drinking sodas now-- if you do drink them-- they will cost much, much more there.

I'll put it this way... I lived in Okinawa about 12 years ago.. now, I know it was probably more expensive-- since, were an island? However, fruit was super expensive-- apples were $5.00 each, canteloupes were $25.00+, (they did go down in price later to about $15.00) and the small cannonball sized watermelons were even more.

However, the Asian pears are a delightful fruit... You can buy those in the streets. Food in the streets will be safe to eat- unless you are the type of have stomach problems? Many American fast food places are there now.

If you like Yogurt at all-- in Asia they have thse tiny little plastic bottles (about 3 inches tall) of a liquid type of yogurt drink and they are YUMMY!

I'm all for the benefits of foreign travel. I'm sure that when you get there-- they will help you find a cheap one room rental.. (think cheap but safe hotel room for long term) or even share w/ a room-mate?
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote