Old 05-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #1
mare-nitt
Turning the Heel

Reflecting
I have not knitted for 4 weeks, I have been letting the tentinous in my arms heal up, since I over worked them doing sorting at work, and it was so bad I could hardly use my arms, they ached.
During that time I sure missed knitting, and I would try to sneek it here and there and then have to put it down, because it hurt. So, I just said let it heal.
But also, I thought about my knitting, it has been a little over a year since I took up this wonderful hobby, I love to knit. I have now realized I am a slow knitter, I also I work so I can't just knit all the time. And I have way too many things I want to make and it is alittle depressing, cause I know I will never get to them.
So, is there anyone else like this. I have lots of yarn that I dream of things to make from it, but I guess during my four weeks off from knitting, I know I never will get it all done.
Do, I start limiting myself on projects? Since I am a slow knitter do I just do easy things (I love felted bags, but I have made many)(but I could make more!) I really want to do sweaters, but being a slow knitter, they take long. How do you not get carried off by a new project when you see it, and stay focused on what you have on the needles.
I love the feeling I get when I knit, but I think I have realized I may need to narrow my dreams of all the stuff I want to knit. I guess I am rambling, but I was hoping someone else was at this place at one time and can offer a suggestion.
I enjoy this forum and seeing what everyone is making and learning from others. So maybe some one can relate to this.
I am now ready to get back to knitting, all healed up. Where do I start.
Thanks for listening to me.
http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...albumview=grid
mare-nitt is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

first of all hugs for the pain in your arms. i have never suffered with it myself but i have other long term pain problems and know it is not nice.

I can completely understand what you meen about the knitting though. I am a fairly slow knitter, who is lacking in confidence and patience ( i get bored or distracted way too easily). It frustrates me sometimes, to see all the odds and sods of projects i have started and to think that in the past year (i have been knitting for a litle over a year too) my knitting hasnt realy amounted to much.
My resolution to this was to think carefully about what i was knitting and to make sure i was only knitting somthign i realy wanted to make and not to just knit for the sake of it. And if i am doing a for-the-sake of it pattern, do somthing small and insignifcant that im not going to be bothered about if it never gets finished (im two thirds of the way through a tea cozy now, i would like to finish it but i can feel the knitting lethargy setting in).
I realy do love knitting but i realise that i have my limitations and i have to make sure i recognise them and knit my own way. It doesnt make me less of a knitter or person that i am not producing a pair of socks and a sweater every fornight and i shouldnt get frustrated or saddened by it.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tarrentella For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-08-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
wishfulthinking
Casting On

There have always been so many, many things I wanted to do, like make a quilt, home dec sewing like curtains & bed skirts, knit, crochet, watercolor. The list is long. I am very lucky not to be working now and while I've done some of those things I find that lethargy sets in sometimes. I still want to do those things but sometimes its hard to concentrate on just one and because I can't concentrate I don't do any of them. One thing I do know is that nothing ever stays the same. You may one day have time to do all the knitting you want. And for sure, we won't accomplish anything unless we start!
wishfulthinking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wishfulthinking For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-08-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
Lyndalm
1st Leg of the Journey

Yep, I feel the same way, but I don't let slow knitting stop me. I feel a year or two time span for a sweater is not too bad. Summer gear is faster, 'cause there are no sleeves.
I home school my son, model stitch, take care of my home and husband, Doberman, cat, and yard. I usually get more done in the winter. I also have Carpel Tunnel in one of my wrists, which makes me rreeeaaalllyyy slow. Just don't sweat it out. Knitting is supposed to be fun, and I love it! I have more yarn than I will ever use, too. (Ask DH!)
Lyndalm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyndalm For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-08-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
barbararea360
Casting On

It's not important on how long it takes to finish a sweater. I would spend about 1 to 2 years on crossstitch which is really slow. So when I took up knitting I thought that was really fast even though I'm a slow at knitting.
barbararea360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barbararea360 For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-09-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
evona
Working the Gusset

I think of myself as a rather slow knitter as well. My BF says I'm not as slow as I think, but what does he know. He's not a knitter I used to knit more when I was taking public transportation, but now that I have a car I find that my FOs winds up few and far between. I usually only get to do a few rows a night now of some small project. I too have so many started projects and so many plans. I work and have kids so I've come to terms with the fact that it will take longer for me to finish a project than others who may not have the same obligations or lifestyle. I don't think you have to limit yourself. If you want to do a sweater and it takes all year to do it so be it. Knit what you want to knit. if it takes longer than others so what!!

I hope your arms and hands feel better. I get similar pain sometimes from my job and knitting doesn't help. I take a lot of breaks while knitting (and working ) - sure doesn't help with my speed, but I'd rather be able to keep knitting than knit fast anyway. I also make sure to stretch.

evona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evona For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-09-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Definitely don't worry about your speed. If you love the yarn & the pattern you've picked, you'll want to finish whatever you're working on.

After my first couple years and several UFO's, I made myself finish things before starting the next project. Yes, many things I loved never got made, but anything I started did. This taught me to choose carefully. I still try to keep only 1 project on the go at a time, occasionally 2 or 3 if a baby gift comes up.
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gotta knit For This Useful Post:
mare-nitt (05-09-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I hope you heal soon. Your speed will slowly increase over time as you become more familiar with the processes involved in the various objects you make. I can pretty much make a sock without looking at any instructions now. I also find that my interest in knitting as well as other hobbies ebbs and flows. The project will still be there when you feel like knitting again. I would suggest making notes of where you are in the pattern and what comes next before putting it away for a time. It does make it easier to feel like picking it back up again.
mare-nitt (05-09-2008)
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
tilllie
Knitting the Flap

I think that is why I have patterns from long ago that I hate to think of parting with....."someday"!! I agree with everyone else. make what you want when you can...and enjoy!!
tilllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
kapekodchip
Casting On

I had not knit for 48 years. For the first 8 years of my life I had no idea what knitting was. Until one day when I watched my mother for hours working on a sweater. I was fascinated. I would watch her all the time. Then I noticed my grandmother knitting. I would watch them both for hours. The yarn coming from this ball transformed into a garment. It was amazing what they could do with it. My grandmother would make fisherman knit sweaters. How I had hoped that one day I would get one but somehow never did. I thought I would make one for myself then. After days of getting up the nerve to ask to be taught I finally did it. I approached them both while they sat on Nana's sofa and asked if I could learn. Boys dont knit I was told. Darn! But I sat and watched for the next 39 years! Sometimes sneaking a pattern book, some needles, and yarn into my room late at night. Trying desperately to cast on stitches. Never able to quite get it. Then came years of school, marriage, my own children. Still always fascinated by the craft. Until one day my wife said just do it. Who cares what other people think. She brought home a pattern book some yarn and some needles. Knit she said. Knit and love it! And I did. I knit and knit and knit and knit! Mittens, scarves, hats, blankets.....God there was so much I wanted and still want to knit!!! When I can't I think about it. I knit it in my head until I get home and knit it in my lap! Sometimes it comes out great, sometimes not so great, I may have ripped out more than I've knit. I don't care. I love it. Whenever I can I teach it. Mostly to young people so they will have it always. Remember to always pass it on! Even if its only to one person in your lifetime. Encourage everyone. When you can, knit, when you can't, think about all those things you will one day make or read about it. There is always something to learn about the craft. And if it doesn't get done this time around, there is always next. Knit and love it!!!! Oh and by the way, My mother and my Nana who is still alive and knitting have changed their mind about boys and knitting!!!!
mare-nitt (05-09-2008), tarrentella (05-10-2008)