Old 05-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Jessica Cobb
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to Jessica Cobb
Print O' The Wave Stole
This is my first time doing lace. I'm knitting the Print O' The Wave stole in Alpaca With A Twist Fino to wear with my wedding dress. Our wedding is coming up early next year. I knew this stole would take me forever, so I wanted to get a head start.

I'm working on the center panel and everything is going great, but was wondering if I should be slipping the first stitch of every row because I will be picking up stitches later? The pattern doesn't say anything about slipping that first stitch, but it seems to make more sense to me because it looks like it would be difficult to pick up stitches with the way those end stitches are now. Again, I'm somewhat of a new knitter and very knew to lace. Help?

Here's a link to the pattern -
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/print_o_the_wave_stole/

(I posted this in a Ravelry group also.)

Jessica Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
No don't slip when you're going to pick up sts, that makes it harder to do. The reason is, a slip st spans 2 rows (or the end stitches on those rows) and you will often have to pick up at the ratio of 3 sts for every 4 rows, or 2 for every 3 rows. If you slip you're forced into picking up every other row, and that won't come out right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
redheadrachel
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to redheadrachel
I agree. I just finished this stole and I think it's better if you don't slip. You could still do it if you slipped (you'd have to pick up two stitches in some of those selvedge edge places, though) but that would obviously not work out the best, so you'd be saving yourself some hassle later on (and probably making a prettier FO) if you just knit the first stitches. Good luck!

"An excellent woman, who can find? She is far more precious than jewels . . . She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." - Proverbs 31:10;13
I'm a knitter for Jesus!
redheadrachel is offline   Reply With Quote