Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #1
forg
Casting On

How much yarn for fairisle?
Is there anyone on this forum who knows how to estimate the amount of each color needed for a fairisle project? It seems to me there must be some formula using the number of rows in which each color will be used, the gauge, size, etc. that would help me figure out how much yarn to buy. This is for a fairisle pattern of my own design so I can't use the amounts specified for another pattern. I have several books that show how to design a garment, but not how to estimate the yardage of each color required.

Thanks!

forg
forg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,243 Times in 1,838 Posts
I wish I knew of a formula to tell you, but what I'd do is look at other patterns to get a general idea of how much yarn is used.

Maybe you could write to www.schoolhousepress.com . They sell Jamieson & Smith yarn and it's run by Meg Swansen--EZ's daughter.

They might be able to help.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
forg (05-11-2008)
Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
DorothyDot
Knitting the Flap

If you're making your own design [hooray for you! What a neat adventure!] then you do have options.

You can always change the accent colors, adding more or less color as your yarn supply allows. Since this is Fair Isle, the pattens are reasonably small... most of mine run a max of 10-12 rows, with one or two 25-rowers.

Before starting one of the patterns/designs, I usually check that there is about one skein of the main color. Then the next pattern I check how much of that one's main color I'll need - again doing about a skein.

Here's a tip: more for your peace-of-mind, take your best guess as to how much yarn you'll need... be as precise as possible! ... and triple it.

The beauty of Fair Isle, for me, is that this is a perfect way to use up those odds-and-ends that I have lying around.

Here's another tip: for the pattern color, if you use a slightly heavier yarn than your main project's made of, then the scrunching-bunching is less. And your color stands out a tad better, too.

Hope this helps,
Dot

PS - if you need to get a feel for how much, try knitting a bag and practice using your Fair Isle patterns on that. And you'll have a bag that matches your outfit!

My words sell the Magic of a Dream

DorothyDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #4
forg
Casting On

Thanks, Ingrid and DorothyDot! I may well write to Schoolhouse just to see what they say. Looking at other fairisle patterns doesn't always help, since when they say "1 skein of this" and "1 skein of that" I can't tell whether the whole skein will be used or only a fraction.

I have a lot of fingering weight odds and ends in my stash that I'd like to use in a fairisle design, which causes my problem -- do I have enough of each to carry out the design? You're right, Dot, I could change the colors as I run out of each one and that's probably what I should plan to do.

Anyway, I really appreciate your suggestions!
forg is offline   Reply With Quote