Old 08-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #21
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by davespurl View Post
This sounds like fun and I'd like to participate. Can you tell me what the dimensions of the blanket are?

I sent you an email (couldn't PM you cause the site wouldn't let me).

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #22
artsynik
Casting On

Hello!
Hi, I'm Nicki and I live on Whidbey Island.

1) What is your favorite yarn? I really love the bulky kinds
2) What is your favorite thing to knit? So far cable stitch hats
3) Who is your favorite designer? I don't have one yet
4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Creative Knitting has some good online tips
5) Are you a Raveler yet? What is that?
If not, are you on the waiting list? Nope
If not, what are you waiting for? ??
6) How many years have you been knitting? Since June 08 (I'm a newb)
7) Do you crochet as well? No, but I'm going to teach myself
8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern? The coast....Whidbey Island
9) What are your prime knitting hours? During my lunch break from work and on the weekends or in the evenings when the TV is on.
10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book? knittinghelp.com
artsynik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #23
GirlChris
Turning the Heel

HI Gals,
I hadn't popped into the WA knitters spot in a while so I wanted to say HI to you all. Nice to see some new faces.

Grammi, that is so cool that you learned to amek socks on your own and have a cool way it works for you.

Artsynik, There is another big knitting website called www.ravelry.com and it is very popular. You have to put in for an invitation to join because it is a small run operation but has become so popular they let people join slowly so as to be able to handle the load. I finally put in for one and just got it so I haven't actually gone and joined yet. It looks big and intimidating to me but I am going to give it a try anyway at least to look at other people's knits. LOL

I just finished another pumpkin hat for my nephew due at the end of Sept but it will be too big for when he is born and I fear too small by the time he is 1, story of my life with knitting. I got another cute pattern I am planning to try to make for him called a Baby Yoda sweater. After I am done cleaning my house and having DS Bday party this weekend I will start on that.
Have a nice day, Chris

p.s. I am horrible at typing and sometimes do not catch all of my eight million typos per post I have to correct so forgive my constant typos
GirlChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #24
GramiH
Casting On

Hi Chris:
>>Grammi, that is so cool that you learned to amek socks on your own and have a cool way it works for you.>>

Thanks, it is appreciated that you liked that. I haven't hit the second sock syndrom yet.........want to learn with circular's now, when I finish this pair for my older sis.

>I just finished another pumpkin hat for my nephew due at the end of Sept but it will be too big for when he is born and I fear too small by the time he is 1, story of my life with knitting.>>

Way cool that you made the hat in advance. Let the lil one ware it anyway, so he can grow into it.

GramiH
GramiH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GramiH For This Useful Post:
GirlChris (08-10-2008)
Old 08-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #25
Raeknitsnwa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raeknitsnwa
I would love to learn to make socks the only thing that confuses me is the flippin heel part
~~You Must Be The Change You Want To See In The World -Ghandi~~

Raeknitsnwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #26
GirlChris
Turning the Heel

I haven't learned socks yet either. It is something I would like to learn someday so it's on the before I die list anyway LOL.

I was planning to start on the Yoda sweater and then for some reason I went and started on a totally different sweater. Oh I know why, because I was too lazy to go buy the yarn for my yoda sweater and I had the other yarn and needle size. Problem with this one is I have not knit something with such tiny needles in forever, if ever even. Sz 2. It is so much work for what seems like so little progress. I knit for an hour straight last night and have pretty much spent all my free time today knitting and have all of 4 cm (71 stitches cast on for the sweater back). The back is supposed to be 26 cm. Now that is for the smallest sz they have listed, 3mos. So if it is just taking forever I guess I can shorten it somehow so it is newborn sz. I do think it will look cute. It is baby blue and is made of all M stitch (all k,p,k,p so it looks like a bunch of little bumps). I'll keep ya posted and if you are out and about in Wa and see someone crying over a baby blue sweater it's probably me.
GirlChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #27
GramiH
Casting On

Hello Rea:
>>I would love to learn to make socks the only thing that confuses me is the flippin heel part.>>
Well I have to confess, I wanted to learn how to make socks and ordered my sock yarn. Bought the needles and read all kind's of tutorials on the web. The one that I liked best is socks 101.
I too was very confused about the heel turn and went to a lys here and asked a question, but the person told me that I had to take a class there to find out what I wanted to know. Well anyway I showed the person my work and was told that it was going as expected and left it at that. I went home more confused than ever.
The heel turn is easy when you realize that you follow the dir for the amt of sts (1/2) on one needle, then when you have reached the 2 1/2 in or such then you start the decreases to make the underside of the heel. It will usually say something like, Row 1: sl 1, k21, ssk, turn., Row 2: sl 1, p9, ptog, turn.,Row 3: sl 1, k9,ssk,turn., repeating rows 2 & 3 until you have 11 sts remainging. This is where you then pick up the side sts and join to the gusset. Once you understand the turning of the heel, it's a piece of cake and fun/challenging.
At present I am on my 9th pr for sister that wants tabi socks. DH wears his and even washes them after, won't let me touch them now. He is so proud of them. All the other family members loved the ones I made for them.
You can contact me if you ever want to get started and I will do my very best to help. I have seen pic's of so very many beautiful socks here and other web pages, well it makes a gal
Sorry for being so long winded
GramiH
GramiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #28
tokmom
Turning the Heel

Raeknitsnwa I graduated from Auburn HS

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #29
tokmom
Turning the Heel

1) What is your favorite yarn?: I love the Noro's but want to try Malabrigo one day.

2) What is your favorite thing to knit? Anything. Probably socks. I love making them. I want to try sweaters and afghans with cables. I love cables.

3) Who is your favorite designer? Don't have one yet, but I know I will one day.

4) Which knitting magazine is your favorite? Don't know that yet either. I don't know which ones are geared for beginner/intermediate knitters.

5) Are you a Raveler yet? Yes.

6) How many years have you been knitting? It's only been months. So...about 9?

7) Do you crochet as well? I wish. You should see what it looks like.

8) Do you live in the Puget Sound area? East of the mts? The Coast? Southern?

I live in Western Washington, just a short hop from Puyallup. My sons go to school in Ellensburg (go wildcats!) and WSU/Pullman (Go cougs!)

9) What are your prime knitting hours? In the car, waiting for kids to get done with track practice. Otherwise it's a few minutes in the morning if I don't have to rush out the door.

10) What is your favorite knitting 'how to/help" book?

I don't have one yet. If I get stuck I come here.

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
Raeknitsnwa
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to Raeknitsnwa
Hi Tokmom nice to meet you man I feel like I am slacking lol I have been knitting for a year and still can't make socks lol how did you learn share your secrets with me lol
~~You Must Be The Change You Want To See In The World -Ghandi~~

Raeknitsnwa is offline   Reply With Quote