Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey
 
jennylozano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 156
Thanks: 89
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Cat's toothpaste... any suggestions?
Dear all,
Today, one of my cats, Nania, had her once a year exam with the vet. She is healthy overall, but is having gingivitis (sp) issues. I asked the vet what can I do, and she, of course, recommended me to brush her teeth... duh!!! The other possibility is giving Nania those treats that help taking care of teeth, but she never likes any treats of any kind.... Sooooo, I will have to get a toothpaste for her that is appealing enough to start introducing the brushing thing into her (and mine) daily rutine. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know she dislikes malt flavor, so, I guess I would go with a seafood or chicken... but which one? I read a review of a poultry flavor toothpaste (Perodex or something like that) for dogs, where the reviewer say she uses it for her cats too.... Is that OK? Do you think is it fine to use a dog's toothpaste, intended for dogs, with a cat?
Thanks a lot,
__________________

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote

 

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #2
CountryKitty
Knitting the Flap
 
CountryKitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 283
Thanks: 64
Thanked 105 Times in 95 Posts
Shhhh! Don't tell her it's for dogs! Cats can't read--she'll never know!
__________________
"Happiness is a ball of yarn." ---{=^;^=}
CountryKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey
 
jennylozano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 156
Thanks: 89
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Originally Posted by CountryKitty View Post
Shhhh! Don't tell her it's for dogs! Cats can't read--she'll never know!
OHHH got it!!!!
__________________

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
vaknitter
Working the Gusset
 
vaknitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: virginia
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 439
Thanked 441 Times in 403 Posts
all I know about cats is that I'm allergic. However, I do know that I have poulty flavored dog toothpaste from my vet that is an enzyme ... not sure why you couldn't use it with a cat? I guess just use a smaller amount. I'm kinda suprised the vet didn't offer you something in the office.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
KniftyKnitterGal
Ribbing the Cuff
 
KniftyKnitterGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Painted Post, NY
Posts: 59
Thanks: 16
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Send a message via AIM to KniftyKnitterGal Send a message via Yahoo to KniftyKnitterGal
All I know about brushing cats teeth is.... WEAR GLOVES!!!! Like the gloves that handle the hawks and eagles and such. Otherwise you might not be able to knit for a while bc you might not have hands again! HAHAHAHAHA! Well obviously I don't mean literally, but I would be careful.
__________________
Why do I knit? That a good question. So I don't kill people.
KniftyKnitterGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey
 
jennylozano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 156
Thanks: 89
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Originally Posted by vaknitter View Post
all I know about cats is that I'm allergic. However, I do know that I have poulty flavored dog toothpaste from my vet that is an enzyme ... not sure why you couldn't use it with a cat? I guess just use a smaller amount. I'm kinda suprised the vet didn't offer you something in the office.
Yeah, she didn't offer any and I didn't ask either.... Maybe because I was hoping to keep the vet's bill as unexpensive as possible.... because it has happened to me in the past, I get stuff from them, and a bit after I see the same thing at petsmart or online for much less!!!
__________________

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
jennylozano
1st Leg of the Journey
 
jennylozano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 156
Thanks: 89
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Send a message via MSN to jennylozano
Originally Posted by KniftyKnitterGal View Post
All I know about brushing cats teeth is.... WEAR GLOVES!!!! Like the gloves that handle the hawks and eagles and such. Otherwise you might not be able to knit for a while bc you might not have hands again! HAHAHAHAHA! Well obviously I don't mean literally, but I would be careful.
I have thought of that!! Was just wondering what kind of gloves... playtex rubber gloves?? LOL... But perhaps I can get those you mentioned (to handle hawks and eagles, etc.)
__________________

FO: country jacket (Lion Brand pattern)
OTN: basic vest (Patons booklet pattern) with Vanna's choice yarn
FO: Raleigh Hills Cabled Hat
WIP: 2nd sock syndrome: I will NEVER again knit one sock first and then the other... from now on I'll only be using the 2 circulars to knit both at the same time
Tonsilectomy: 28 Dec. 2007
jennylozano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 AM   #8
InterNette
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 884
Thanks: 5
Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
I use to work in the vet field. You can use gauze pad wrapped around your finger for brushing, it has a slight scrubbing action with the weave and is easy to manuever plus you feel the pressure with your finger and are more gentle then with some brushing doo dos. There is drops you can use that is helpful to cut down on bateria in the mouth, most vets wont tell you about it, I told my mom and sister up north and now they get it also. I went to one to a seminar for pet dentals for the company and most dental cleanings leave actual small microscoptic ridges and this unfortunately causes the need for continual cleaning as it allows food to build up on the enamel. If you use the clindamycin drops it helps prevent build up and bacteria. Now in fairness I havent worked in the vet field in about 5 years now so things could have changed and they could have new products. I have siamese and with the breeding making them more wedged faced the breed has suffered terrible with teeth problems and I use these drops faithfully, dropperfull daily for 3 days a month is all I use.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
bjc1050
Turning the Heel
 
bjc1050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 745
Thanks: 133
Thanked 66 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by InterNette View Post
I use to work in the vet field. You can use gauze pad wrapped around your finger for brushing, it has a slight scrubbing action with the weave and is easy to manuever plus you feel the pressure with your finger and are more gentle then with some brushing doo dos. There is drops you can use that is helpful to cut down on bateria in the mouth, most vets wont tell you about it, I told my mom and sister up north and now they get it also. I went to one to a seminar for pet dentals for the company and most dental cleanings leave actual small microscoptic ridges and this unfortunately causes the need for continual cleaning as it allows food to build up on the enamel. If you use the clindamycin drops it helps prevent build up and bacteria. Now in fairness I havent worked in the vet field in about 5 years now so things could have changed and they could have new products. I have siamese and with the breeding making them more wedged faced the breed has suffered terrible with teeth problems and I use these drops faithfully, dropperfull daily for 3 days a month is all I use.

Are these drops available only from a vet or can they be purchased at places like PetSmart?

I would also suggest feeding dry food instead of moist or canned. The dry food helps clean the teeth and is less likely to leave remains in the cat's mouth to breed bacteria.

For my dogs I frequently give them rawhide chips which they love. Too bad there isn't something similar that cats love, also.
__________________
Beverly
Always a beginner...sometimes I even finish.
Every project is a new beginning.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/


Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
InterNette
Turning the Heel
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: florida
Posts: 884
Thanks: 5
Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
I only ever got them from the vets so you might call pet smart to ask if they carry them. A bottle usually costs about 13 dollars. My family just asks for a bottle when they go and it last at least 6 months if not more, you do need to refridgerate it, at least I do in florida to keep it fresh.
I also dont feed my cats canned cat food, they do however have me feeding them chicken, liver, steak, turkey. They get 1 table spoon for treats but I rely on siamese 38 dry food for them to make them crunch for cleaning and gum health.
InterNette is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suggestions please vaudiss General Knitting 1 09-18-2010 11:57 PM
would like suggestions photolady The Lounge 11 02-07-2008 02:36 PM
Suggestions, please? tab General Knitting 5 03-18-2007 08:59 PM
OT: Tea suggestions... Cristy General Knitting 41 01-27-2007 08:23 AM
Need Suggestions Please dplantlady Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. 6 11-14-2006 02:51 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:25 AM.