Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Bella G
Casting On

June Hiatt -- Principles of Knitting Book
I recently read that although June Hiatt's book is thought to be one of the best references, it is also ridiculously difficult to find because it is out of print. I took that as a challenge, and jeepers, the book's not hard to acquire if your wallet is fat! I sent a whining email to Simon & Schuster and received a reply back that the book will be reprinted in the summer of 2008.

So, to those of you who have the tome on your bookshelf, do you think the book is worth all the fuss?
Bella G is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
syndactylus
Turning the Heel

at least for just reading, have you tried ILL at your library?

I get all the gazillion-dollar OOP primatology books I can carry that way.
I ILL.
syndactylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Yes, cross your fingers and try ILL. Not surprisingly, that book has a tendency to go "missing" from libraries so you may have to be on a waiting list for a while to get one of the rare remaining copies in circulation. (I had to wait a few months.) It will be worth the wait, though -- there are definitely things in there that I haven't seen elsewhere. There are some omissions and notable biases, yes, but it's elevated status is not unfounded. I wouldn't pay hundreds of dollars for it, but if I came across a copy for under $100, I would seriously consider buying it. And I'm not one to throw money around.

I'm so glad you were able to get a publication date for the new edition. She's been promising it for a long time now.

BTW, if you're looking for a knitting reference, check out Montse Stanley's The Knitter's Handbook if you haven't already. No book is perfect, but it's pretty comprehensive. (There are some things in Stanley that aren't in Hiatt so it's worth getting The Knitter's Handbook even if you do decide to shell out the dough for POK.)

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

What is ILL?? folks~
Old 03-04-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
janelanespaintbrush
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by aineepooh1
What is ILL?? folks~
Inter-library loan. Often, if your local library doesn't have the book you want, they can obtain it for you from another library that does. I've borrowed books that came from libraries in different cities, and even a different state. I don't know how it is for your area, but if your library has a website, they probably have some way that you can look up and request books online. When they receive the book, they'll call or email you. It's very cool.

There is no right way to knit; there is no wrong way to knit. So if anybody kindly tells you that what you are doing is "wrong," don't take umbrage; they mean well. Smile submissively, and listen, keeping your disagreement on an entirely mental level. They may be right, in this particular case, and even if not, they may drop off pieces of information which will come in very handy if you file them away carefully in your brain for future reference. ~Elizabeth Zimmerman
janelanespaintbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Bella G
Casting On

I've ordered POK thru ILL. Yes, somehow my local library's copy went missing years ago. Thanks for the suggestion on Montse Stanley's book -- my library *does* have that one at one of the branches.

My favorite reference is you all, though. Always here for me when my LYS is closed!
Bella G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

I am getting a library copy of June Hiatt's book, POK, from an ILL sometime next week. I am anxious to read it, but believe it will be way too much information for me to just reference back to. I am very curious to see what all the fuss is about with her book, though. I have the Vogue knitting reference book which has never failed me yet, as well as several other knitting reference books. I don't think I would pay the prices being asked on the internet for this oop book, but would probably buy the new one when it is published if the price is within reason. As someone posted earlier this is a great place to come to for information, opinions, etc. patty
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
missmom31
1st Leg of the Journey

I got the June Hiatt book from the library yesteday. It is like a textbook for knitting. I have only thumbed through some of the 571 pages, but there seems to be tons of excellent information in it and she has written it like you are sharing a conversation with her. I will most likely purchase the new version when it it released.
missmom31 is offline   Reply With Quote