Old 05-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
figaro
Working the Gusset

What is up with Oprah's clothes?
As I am watching todays episode (5.16.08), she is doing a show on her favorite summer things and while a few of the things are nice, the price tag is a bit much for me($165 for a medium sized bag?). But what is she wearing? It looks like a muu-muu! Isn't the summer at least about wearing some shorter pants (shorts for some, capris for others) and the top is just outrageous! Big orange top with sleeves that hang down to her waist maybe? I don't get it? Most of the time, I really like what she wears, but not so today.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by figaro View Post
a few of the things are nice, the price tag is a bit much for me($165 for a medium sized bag?).
I didn't see oprah but I always wondered about this... when shows do their little blurb on fashion and they show a dress and they say something like, "it's so beautful, and affordable too! This dress is only $300!"

I guess I'm a little fashion challenged.

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
figaro
Working the Gusset

I in that club too! They were talking about some makeup and the low end of the price was something like $65, for makeup! I shop at Target, I find it hard to pay $10 for mascara.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
fireflyknitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Same here, I rarely wear makeup so I find it hard to swallow to cough up much money for something I know I'm not going to use very often!

fireflyknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Oprah left the REAL WORLD a lonnnng lonnnng time ago, it's obvious. Her Favorite Things programs gag me.

She is obviously 'playing to' folks in her own league (or just below it) It's kind of insulting to most Americans.

But then, I never liked "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" series (with Robin Leach) either. It was almost embarrassing to watch. You think to yourself..."If people in other countries see this...what in the world will they think of Americans? Will we appear to be shallow, materialistic people? Will they think we are all like that?" But then on the other hand, what is worse: having $2,000 for a handbag, or envying the people who do? I think those programs are designed to foster covetousness and discontent. I'm grateful for my 1400 sq ft home...and I don't want to watch a program that flaunts homes where the master bathroom is 1400 sq ft...like that is somehow an better way of life!

I have been noticing that Oprah has been gaining weight again...hey, who cares?...and her choice of clothing is reflective of that.

She's over 50...and looking it. Good for her, right!?? How refreshing...to see a 50 yr old celebrity that doesn't look 25! That is one REAL THING about her.

I loved her ROAD TRIP ACROSS AMERICA a couple years ago. And that thing where her and Gayle camped out with some FRONTIER VILLAGE PIONEERS.

What a hooot!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #6
Karina
Working the Gusset

Artlady don't worry we normal people that live in the real world know people are not like that unless they slightly obsessed.

There was a girl on Big Brother 1 or 2 years ago that was obsessed with posh spice and dressed like her had her hair cut like her etc. She saw a pair of Jeans for something like 300 that Posh Spice owned and lied to her adoptive mother that she needed some kind of operation and her mum gave her the money and she then went and bought the jeans. Complete madness. I go the Marks and Spencer and buy a pair of jeans for 12 maybe go to 30 if I really like them but that is absolute my limit. Although I have to admit that I have bought just over 100 worth of yarn and other knitting related goods this month.

Anyway that have nothing to do with Oprah. I used to watch her years ago. But I think her shows changed and became slightly self obsessed so I lost interest.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
Cynamar
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Cynamar Send a message via Yahoo to Cynamar
I rent a 600-square-feet home so I hear ya!

While there's tea there's hope. - Sir Arthur Pinero

My KH Blog Thread

My Blog
Cynamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
knitgal
Working the Gusset

I think the main thing is that most people cannot afford these luxury items, but it seems like our society wants us to try. That's the culture now, materialism. My cousins that are 16 and younger are disgustingly materialistic. They are the "me" generation. They have more than one iPod, they have cell phones, they have their OWN computers, they have the brand name clothing etc. I didn't have these things and I'm only 22.

Oprah's show just shows why people are so self-centered and materialistic these days. Apparently we should want to spend $300 on jeans and not blink. We all have our little luxuries, personally mine is good quality foundation and cover-up from Prescriptives...and shoes. Now some people might find us a little crazy for spending hundreds of dollars on yarn, but that's different....right?

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

knitgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Silver
Instepping Out

I love her Favorite Things shows. I really do. I like seeing all the little things she picks out (or is paid to pick out). I loved the $100+ weekender bag on wheels, really cute. But I'm not going to run out and buy one. I know that that style will be out soon enough at Target for us normal folks, and then I'll be delighted to buy one for $30.

I just don't get annoyed when rich people lose sight of things. It happens. It happens to us normal people too, but on a smaller scale. You might think that buying a $5 latte at Starbucks "no big deal", but trust me there are lots of people who see that as a flagrant and irresponsible spending of money just like Oprah spending $2000 on a purse. It's all perspective. I have a comfortable amount of money, so I can afford to spend 2 or 3 hundred on a purse. Oprah has tons of money, she can afford to spend 2, 3 or even 10 thousand on a purse. Same thing, IMHO. And whats more is that Oprah worked her way up from squalor to get where she is now. So I'm not gonna scoff at her when she spends her moolah.

But that orange moomoo was horrendous. Maybe her stylist is on vacay.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #10
iwouldratherbeknitting
Turning the Heel

I only see Oprah 'once in a while' during the summer-- since, I'm not living in the states right now...

but, the one thing that has started to bother me about her is... she has these guests on that are 'experts' in some field or something and she constantly interrupts them... to push her point of view, to finish what they (the experts) are trying to say or share w/ someone... and keep in mind- I've only seen her show a few times in the past several years... but, I've noticed her doing that a lot on the shows that I've seen.

We have a saying in the south: She's getting to big for her britches. (and thinks she knows as much or more than her guest experts)...
Updated almost daily.. honest!
I'm moving to Germany this summer! My name on Ravelry is: iwouldratherknit
iwouldratherbeknitting is offline   Reply With Quote