Old 05-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
frogsalot
Casting On

Shrug - help with fit
The shrug pattern that I am using calls for ribbing, then decrease the total amt. of stitches by 50% and knit the body in a pattern stitch, finishing up with increasing back to the original number of stitches and knitting an equal amt of ribbing. I have completed the shrug. The ribbings are seamed, and the arms go through the openings left open by the pattern stitch. There isn't a correct top or bottom - it's reversible. The ribbing acts as a collar and also a bottom edge. My question is in regards to fit. On the back side of each armhole, it pouches out a little over an inch - otherwise the fit is fine. Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I don't have the option of trying it on the person and then making adjustments since she is many miles from me. So I would like to be able to fix the problem area, mail it, and move onto the next project. I have definitely decided that I need to shorten both ribbing sections by 1 1/2 inches as they are a bit deep. I was also wondering if I decreased the length of the pattern stitch area by a couple of inches would this take care of my problem? That would be the simplest solution. And yes, I have ripped back a completely knitted shrug back to the first ribbing area - so I would like to get it right on this go round. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
frogsalot is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
of troy
Turning the Heel

the pouchiness is the nature of the design.

if you want to redesign --well that's a lot of work.

making it smaller will make the pouch(es) smaller, but it will make its tighter, and harder to put on.

Red hot lava (a knitty.com pattern) has a similar problem.. (the back rides up and makes a pouch) many shrug patterns are not fitted, and not fitted means a pouch somewhere.

there are fitted patterns (about 4 years ago in Knitting there was a shrug.. 4 peices, 2 arms, a back shaped sort off like this --) ( and a neck band to hold it all together..
it fit like a dream.. but it was a complex pattern..

them's the choices.. easy, shapeless, (and pouchy in places)
or complex, seamed, and tailored.. (and a perfect fit!)