Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
KnitsAway
Ribbing the Cuff

Rugs....
I did a search on here to see who is knitting rugs and I didn't find much. Not a hip thing to do?

I find it's a great cheap way to give my house some color. Our new house is all tile downstairs sand there is a horrible echo. I'm frantically trying to take care of that.
KnitsAway is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
losnana
Working the Gusset

Are you doing them with bulky yarn and large needles?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
KnitsAway
Ribbing the Cuff

My first one I did with Super Saver and size 8. I just did knit all the way so it went pretty quick. It's not the most durable yarn for a rug though but it's in front of the sink so it's not a huge deal.

I am doing a 4 strand sugar-n-cream yarn on 13 needles now. Going much faster and it's durable. Needs to be since it'll be in the foyer.

The downstairs of our new house is all tile. The echo is killing me. Hence the thought of mine to make rugs.
KnitsAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I guess I would be afraid they wouldn't hold up to the traffic of 2 people and 2 dogs. The ones I buy barely handle the traffic and weekly washingss. If I made one I would make everyone walk around the rug so as not to get it dirty.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #5
mwhite
Instepping Out

I'm working on an oval one for my house. It is out of Paton's Classic Merino, sage and cream... I'll felt it once it's done. I've used 2 strands throughout so it should be nice and thick.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
margz3
Working the Gusset

I JUST downloaded a sugar and cream pattern for a throw rug! We have a seasonal camper and a few of them would be great there! Way to use up some stash.....

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
astonh
Turning the Heel

In clearing out my drawers of all the old "been there/done that" tees I have I decided to knit a rug with them. Have just finished turning them into my "yarn" and am looking forward to knitting a bath mat out of them or maybe, to preserve them a little longer since the rug will be, in fact, a little memory rug of crap I've done over the years, I'll use it in my room so I won't have to step out onto a cold floor of a morning.

I think rugs are a cool way to use up some stash yarn. Although allowing people to trample on them is a little depressing. HA!

FO: Garter Stitch Baby Kimono, Baby Roots Cardigan, Knitted Baby Hat, Custom Adjustable Felted Guitar Strap, Flirtation Cozy, Modified Knit Coffee Sleeve, Scarf, My So-Called Scarf, Baby Converse Shoes, Balaclava, Various Dish/Wash Cloths

www.trowelanderror.blogspot.com
Oh...and I'm heajames on Ravelry
astonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
Karina
Working the Gusset

Me and my daughter have just gone through her closet and got rid of all her old clothes that does not fit or is not the thing to wear when you are 13. Ended up with a big black sack full of clothes. Where I live the charity shops are extremely picky in what they will accept so 95% would not be suitable for them.

Now today while in the charity shop I came across a rug making book that among others features crochet rag rugs. so now I have taken all her clothes out of the bin and will now make a rug for her bedroom floor with them. Just cut them into strips and crochet with them one strip at a time. Thought that was a neat idea, definitely better than just throwing the clothes away.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 PM   #9
kurango
Ribbing the Cuff

Rugs
I knit rugs all the time! Mostly for the bathroom, but I did a large area rug 6.75' x 5.5' in strips. http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/at...1&d=1179367260

http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/at...1&d=1179367260

I have felted all 8 of the rug I have made.

One of my next projects is to make a piece of yardage (60" wide after felting) to upholster a club chair an ottoman.
kurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #10
Karina
Working the Gusset

Kurango I love your rugs, beautiful