Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Pat in Ca

dental implants..good or bad??
My dentist is recommending an implant!!! I am sooooo scared.. I am a big baby when it comes to pain..One friend said to look into a marilyn bridge instead?? Does anyone have any experience with dental implants.. or marilyn bridge? thanks

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I have a friend in Texas who has had four or five implants (I'm headed that way). She doesn't get the novacaine shots, because she says there's not that much pain involved, but others have told me different. Once she's home she takes "a" Tylenol and naps.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debkcs For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I know people who have them and they said it wasn't bad at all.

I plan to get them myself when I can afford it.

Oh, one thing about them, they work better if the tooth is removed first

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knitting_Guy For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
gamerchik
Knitting the Flap

I'm going to be getting an implant (probably within the next year) and although it makes me nervous too, my dentist assures me that it is absolutely the healthiest option for the teeth/gums (and he's not the one who does it, so he's not making money from it) because the implant will act like a real tooth and will thus prevent bone loss, etc.

Personally, I am not interested in having the healthy surrounding teeth "ground down" so that a bridge can be put in -- to me, that sounds very unpleasant.

I've heard countless success stories about the implants and the hygienist at my dentist's office is also very pro-implant (he said that you can clean/floss an implant just like a regular tooth, whereas sometimes with bridges, stuff can get trapped underneath and that just sounds nasty, lol).

Anyway, I hope that helps!
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
stitchwitch
Working the Gusset

Implants are fabulous if you don't smoke and you don't have any type of periodontal disease. Basically, if you lost a tooth to injury or decay and the surrounding teeth are healthy as are the tissues you will have success. Smokers have less success and are more susceptible to implant failure. The implant surgery isn't as bad as it sounds, it's kind of like getting a wisdom tooth out. The time in the chair from start to finish of the whole procedure from initial consult and initial impressions to final seating of the implant crown can be a drain since it takes a few months (healing and all) and you'll probably be seeing a couple of dentists (one surgeon and a general dentist). Once it's complete though it's just like having a natural tooth. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Sewing Angel
Knitting the Flap

My DS19 is getting 5 in September. He was missing permanent teeth. I'm not worried about the procedure itself, I'm more concerned about the cost. Medical insurance will pay for the implant (80% + the deductible) dental insurance will pay only a small part of the prosthesis. Implants total are $10,400. and prosthesis are $1,300.00 each! Thats correct ,the total is $16,900.00!!!! It is a great thing to have, but the cost is absolutely absurd! I'm thinking we will pay between $8,000.00 & $9,000.00 out of pocket. I've been freaking out about this for several months now. We will be making payments for a long time. Oh and he has never even had a cavity. He still has braces on, so when all is said and done he will have over $23,000.00 in his mouth! It just blows my mind. Sorry I got off on a rant, it just all came spilling out.
As for the bridge, I would be concerned about the adjacent teeth. Also, bridges do need to be replaced at some point and there is a lot more maintenance with them.
Angel
Sewing Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sewing Angel For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,908 Posts
I used to work in the administration office of an implant dentist, and saw several successful implants. If I could afford one, I would get one or two myself. They are awesome!
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shandeh For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

I've had two successfully and am trying to save for two more. The last quote a few months ago was $2000 for each plus the abutments put in by my regular dentist plus the crowns to go on them. Looks like it will be pretty close to $6000 when they are done. May have to just get one this fall and the other whevever with gas prices the way they are.. Was hoping to have them both put in this fall.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjc1050 For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
bjc1050
Turning the Heel

Must say the process wasn't too bad. The periodontist who does the implants did the extractions. After 40 years of being too afraid to go the the dentist, with God's help I finally mustered up the courage to get my teeth taken care of. DH was a dental tech for about 20 years, but I was too scared to go. I would have preferred childbirth to a dental visit.

http://crochetbydayknitterbynight.blogspot.com/

Gen 8:22

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease
KJV
bjc1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjc1050 For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)
Old 05-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Puddinpop
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Puddinpop
Good for you. Glad you got the courage to go. I am 52 so I have a lot of big fillings in my teeth that are on their last leg(?) Anyway, my dentist told me that eventually they will have to have crowns on all of them. I just had the prep for another one. I hate the pain, but it's not a lot of pain, when you think about it. A little pain for the pain shot and maybe, it's not enough and they make a nerve jump. Then when they give you another shot, it's over. I think we just get tense and nervous.
Puddinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puddinpop For This Useful Post:
Pat in Ca (05-23-2008)